View Full Version : State Quarter Design

Karried
05-17-2006, 03:41 PM
http://newsok.com/article/1846173/?template=news/main

What do you think our design should be?

quailcreekgal
05-17-2006, 03:51 PM
a "Twister" - but that's probably a negative.....
capital dome - every state has one....
gates from bombing memorial - too emotional.....?
Will Rogers - he lived in California most of his adult life
no good ideas coming to me!

Patrick
05-17-2006, 04:20 PM
For historical purposes, an oil derick.

We are Native America. Include a Native American on there. I know many here wouldn't agree.

How about a scene from the broadway musical Oklahoma!

A twister wouldn't be all too bad.

It has to be something that represents the entire state, not just OKC.

mranderson
05-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Personally, I am tired of every time we turn around, these people thinking we do nothing but play cowboys and indians while spitting Skoal juice from the "winder" of our pickups.

The design of an oil tower may be good, however, I also think it should be something that denotes our past and future. Maybe an oil tower merging into something from the aeronautics or medical fields. With the inscription being "Oklahoma... (then something denoting the past and present)"

John
05-17-2006, 05:57 PM
From sources within the quarter committee, don't be surprised to see Will Rogers, a land run scene, a scissortail flycatcher, and 'Sooner State'. Take that, OSU! ;)

I know state seals aren't allowed on the quarters, but I think the 'marriage' between Mr. Oklahoma Territory & Miss Indian Territory would have been cool and unique.

Midtowner
05-17-2006, 06:13 PM
A parking meter...

Parking meters use quarters, the parking meter was invented in Stillwater, OK and first used in OKC -- I think that'd be appropriate.

Patrick
05-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Landrun scene would be fine. Afterall, that's what we're known for.

John
05-17-2006, 10:04 PM
A parking meter...

Parking meters use quarters, the parking meter was invented in Stillwater, OK and first used in OKC -- I think that'd be appropriate.

We should just put a parking meter and a shopping cart and people will be like WTF!? :D

haha

hipsterdoofus
05-18-2006, 07:55 AM
I don't think that the oil derrick is a bad idea...as far as being forward thinking, this quarter isn't about what we want to be, its really supposed to be about our past. I guess land run wouldn't be bad, but how do you put that on a quarter.

And John, sorry, the term "Sooner State" doesn't mean its OU's state, goofball.

quailcreekgal
05-18-2006, 08:17 AM
Definition of a Sooner: In the western United States, one who settles on government land before it is legally open to settlement in order to gain the prior claim that the law gives to the first settler when the land is opened to settlement.
In others words, Sooners were the originators of illegal immigration. LOL!:kicking:

metro
05-18-2006, 08:48 AM
How about a oil derreck shooting out quarters and cowboys and indians below it picking up the quarters and sticking it in a parking meter?

Karried
05-18-2006, 08:55 AM
LOL! How about a meter maid riding a horse (like Will Rogers at the airport)....

quailcreekgal
05-18-2006, 10:37 AM
How about a oil derreck shooting out quarters and cowboys and indians below it picking up the quarters and sticking it in a parking meter?
PERFECT if you add a surrey with fringe on top in the parking space!

Patrick
05-18-2006, 11:03 AM
What about a picture of quailcreekgal going speedlimit on the Crosstown and a line of cars behind her! Now that would be funny!

quailcreekgal
05-18-2006, 11:17 AM
Chicks and ducks and geese better scurry!

venture
05-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Things people associate with the state...Indians, Tornadoes, Football, the Bombing, Cowboys, and Oil.

I say try to mess 3 icons on them...a couple indians in full dress, an Oil tower in the background, and a radar globe off to the side. Regardless of Twister and other negatives from weather, Oklahoma has definitely put forth a ton of research in helping the world forecast and track weather.

floater
05-18-2006, 11:35 AM
What about a picture of quailcreekgal going speedlimit on the Crosstown and a line of cars behind her! Now that would be funny!

Lol

There should be a discussion about this, because it does mean how we describe the state. Here's a link to other designs:

http://www.quarterdesigns.com/index.html

A conestoga with a pumpjack and an AWACS plane

Profiles of First National, Mid-Continent, and Price towers.

A radar screen - re: storm prediction in Norman, air traffic control education at OKC, and Tinker in MWC.

A person with a headset looking at a computer screen (j/k)

Rambo
05-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Everything that's associated with Oklahoma seems to involved indians, so you'll see a few indians on the quarter.

John
05-18-2006, 11:55 AM
And John, sorry, the term "Sooner State" doesn't mean its OU's state, goofball.

It was a joke. Hence the ';)'.

:D

BDP
05-18-2006, 12:54 PM
I like the land run ideas, but I am not sure how you capture that on a quarter. I'd like to avoide specific people. I just feel that when you start to include a few, you instantly have left out many.

If we include an oil derrick, I think we should put a little crack on it to signify that, as much as it has helped our ecomomy, we have also gotten burned by so much dependance on it.

Or maybe we should just put the following message on it: 'Move your headquaters to Oklahoma and exchange this quarter for free real estate (if you're in the biomedical research field, we'll even give you your quarter back)' :)

floater
05-18-2006, 03:23 PM
I like the land run ideas, but I am not sure how you capture that on a quarter. I'd like to avoide specific people. I just feel that when you start to include a few, you instantly have left out many.

If we include an oil derrick, I think we should put a little crack on it to signify that, as much as it has helped our ecomomy, we have also gotten burned by so much dependance on it.

Or maybe we should just put the following message on it: 'Move your headquaters to Oklahoma and exchange this quarter for free real estate (if you're in the biomedical research field, we'll even give you your quarter back)' :)
:LolLolLol
A sign saying "Will TIF for Jobs"

I like the crack idea! But how do we convey what it means?

BDP
05-18-2006, 10:10 PM
It will just be a reminder for us "in the know", kind of like that freaky eye/pryamid thing on our bills.