View Full Version : Personals

OklaCity_75
05-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Most of us on the singles scene have dabbled with personals rather; it is a chat line, chat room, telephone personals or online personals.

We may not admit it to our friends and family but sometimes you have those moments when you say “Why not, it could not hurt to post an ad maybe even reply to a couple”.

You post your ad, you reply to a couple and then you patiently wait for those two words.

“New Messages”

You reply to those who have returned your messages and sort through those who have been so inclined to send you a greeting.

You find someone who you connect with; you exchange email, and then talk on the phone.

After a few phone calls, you make the decision to meet this person. Then when you finally meet, the person standing in front of you is not the person you expected.

You give them the benefit of the doubt, sit down, and have a conversation with them. Sometimes you have a good conversation. Sometimes it is awkward because you both realize you are not interested in each other. When the situation is bad, you speak your mind and say, “I’m not interested but, thank you for coming to meet me.”

How do you handle rejection on your “blind dates”? Do step forward and tell the person “Thanks but, No Thanks”? Do you find a way to worm out of it? Do you change your name, number and social security number and leave country?

Be honest on what you would do.

Also, let us reverse the situation.

How would you handle it if someone you had an interest rejected you in the same manner?

Would play the roll of the stalker and hound them until the police got involved?

Would you walk a way with grace and pursue the next episode of your romantic life?

Leon
05-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Ya know, I've met no one through the personals but 15 or so through message boards such as this.

A lot of you know when I was going through my divorce, I was on this board several times a day. I met five or six through this one alone. These new friends I've made now keep me fairly busy and I hardly have time to spend here anymore.

Ya see, a circle of friends means constantly meeting their friends too. I'm not LOOKING for something serious, but I intend to make the most of it when it shows up.

My profile is still on line. But that's only because my subscription hasn't expired. When it expires, it's history, I won't renew.

My recommendation: If at all possible, NEVER pass up an opportunity to hang out with friends face-to-face. Turn off the TV, turn off the PC, and go hang out next to the BBQ grill, mingle. Friends will help you find somebody if your looking or they'll help someone else find you. DO NOT stay home 'cause you need to do laundry, mow grass, etc. You do not "gotta clean house" you do "gotta socialize".

Rooster_Cogburn
05-12-2006, 01:24 AM
Ya know, I've met no one through the personals but 15 or so through message boards such as this.

A lot of you know when I was going through my divorce, I was on this board several times a day. I met five or six through this one alone. These new friends I've made now keep me fairly busy and I hardly have time to spend here anymore.

Ya see, a circle of friends means constantly meeting their friends too. I'm not LOOKING for something serious, but I intend to make the most of it when it shows up.

My profile is still on line. But that's only because my subscription hasn't expired. When it expires, it's history, I won't renew.

My recommendation: If at all possible, NEVER pass up an opportunity to hang out with friends face-to-face. Turn off the TV, turn off the PC, and go hang out next to the BBQ grill, mingle. Friends will help you find somebody if your looking or they'll help someone else find you. DO NOT stay home 'cause you need to do laundry, mow grass, etc. You do not "gotta clean house" you do "gotta socialize".

Do you not read the posts before you spew your advice?

I just love it when people try be Dr. Phil. He was not asking for a therapy session answer.
He ask how would you handle situation X. No matter why nobody comes on this board. It always turns into unsolicited group threrapy.

To all singles on this board:

If you want to spice this place up try debating some hot button issues that cause people to stop and post.

For instance maybe honesty and dating, or other problems facing singles. Try anything but, these issues that turn into Dr. Phil wannabe threads.

Leon
05-12-2006, 03:23 AM
Hey Roost, did your wife kick ya outta bed for fartin' too much?

TomGirl
06-06-2006, 06:43 PM
I didn't last long trying this way of meeting people. First couple of days, I noticed that 50% of people on the sites mention something about playing games "no games" etc. I see this as people that are going to come into a relationship looking for something to go wrong immediately. People need to get over what ever game their talking about and then post something. I also noticed that:
1.)state they are a neat freak, but have a picture of themselves surrounded by filth.
2.)they say "I'm looking for a girl that shares the same interest as me" and show all of their hobbies to be manly things, fishing, hunting, nascar, etc. (good luck)
3.)state they are 6'1" and show a picture of himself out with the "girlfriends" and they are ALL taller than him.
4.)they have a hateful look on their face in a picture of them in their underwear and claim to be a romantic that loves candles and long walks.

Doesn't anyone ever post the truth?

TomGirl
06-06-2006, 06:48 PM
I guess..75...the my post to your original post is that people are setting themselves up for rejection and people that even try to find someone in these "ads" are just wasting their time and energy.