View Full Version : Former Builders Square on 36th and May

OklaCity_75
05-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Go-kart indoor track comes to starting line
By Ja'Rena Lunsford
The Oklahoman

The sounds of engines revving as helmet-clad drivers wind a curvy course soon will be a regular occurrence in Oklahoma City when an 80,000-square-foot indoor go-kart facility opens.

Corona, Calif.-based Pole Position Raceway Inc. is converting the building that once housed Big Kmart and Builders Square at 2905 NW 36 into a haven for those who love speed.

"We've looked at a bunch of cities around the U.S. and (Oklahoma City) is great; it just seems primed," said Ken Faught, president and co-founder of Pole Position Raceway. Faught and his business partner, Jason Williams, opened the company's first track in September 2005.

The Oklahoma City location is scheduled to open in late August, allowing racers to do 16 laps for about $20.

The site will be equipped with 75 electric go-karts, two race tracks, video games, a snack bar and a 900-square-foot conference room with audio/visual capabilities.
Although kids love go-karts, Faught said Pole Position Raceway is a favorite spot for adults as well. He said the indoor track works for corporate events.

"The one nice thing is everybody inside your office knows how to drive, unlike (playing) golf," Faught said.

The project is worth more than $1 million, he said.

"It's a chunk of change to be able to do that," Faught said.

Pole Position Raceway plans to employ 60 people in Oklahoma City.
Serge Diehl, owner of Diehl Construction, said the project is first class. Diehl said he hired two additional people to work on the project.

"It's been a very good impact for us," Diehl said. "It's bringing jobs to the city."
Although indoor tracks are rare in Oklahoma, Faught said the sport's popularity is increasing across the country. However, it still hasn't reached the caliber of

Europe, which has more than 900 tracks compared to the United State's 58. He said he expects the United States to have 70 tracks by the end of the year.

Faught, former editor of Dirt Rider magazine, is a three-time land speed record holder at Utah's Bonneville Salt Flats.

Celebrity racer Mike Metzger, who recently broke the record for the longest motorcycle backflip when he cleared the fountains at Caesars Palace, will make an appearance at the new facility, Faught said. He said Metzger is a company shareholder.
Pole Position Raceway is not turning off its engine in Oklahoma City. Faught said the company is looking at other areas to expand.

Pete
05-09-2006, 10:50 AM
Here's the website of the operator, where you can see lots of pictures and videos:

http://www.racep2r.com/index.html

metro
05-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Good news for OKC entertainment. Odd location though but good to see this area improving.

writerranger
05-09-2006, 02:04 PM
Good news for OKC entertainment. Odd location though but good to see this area improving.

I'm not sure about "improving" the area. These places can quickly bring out the ghetto crowd.

escan
05-09-2006, 02:49 PM
They are building a Lowe's over there, though. Yippee! I've often wondered why I had to drive to either Edmond (okay, just Memorial)or the South Side, just to go to Lowe's.

escan
05-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Just checked out the website, not really anything I'd be interested in, but maybe (maybe) better than an empty building. Write--Looks more "state fair" than ghetto to me.

writerranger
05-09-2006, 03:34 PM
You know, consider that whole intersection - west side from 39th to 36th. Think about it - you have the Lowes going up with the current strip center facing the south and then the old Builders Square where the entertainment place is going.

Would the owners of that strip center not profit in a big way by tearing down their existing strip (leaving the Builders Square building) and placing it on the south side of the property and facing north? They would then be a part, of sorts, of the Lowes complex (which is obviously the 'anchor' and the big draw) rather than the huge Lowes parking lot looking at the back of a strip center. It just makes sense to me, and yes, there would be costs involved, but think of the higher lease rate an owner could get, not to mention higher quality tenants, in the newer configuration.

Thoughts?

--------

John
05-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Looks nice.

Good to see something going into that building, finally!

MadMonk
05-09-2006, 03:43 PM
Looks like fun. I'll have to check it out when it opens. When is it opening anyway?

TStheThird
05-09-2006, 11:12 PM
I went to a place like this in Kansas City. I averaged a speed of 41 mph. It was pretty amazing. It will be a heck of a deal.

Patrick
05-10-2006, 08:04 AM
I tend to wonder how it will compete with Incredible Pizza, not too far away from there.

metro
05-10-2006, 10:06 AM
I don't think it will compete with Incredible Pizza. It caters to a different crowd. IP caters to a younger crowd for the most part.

writerranger
05-10-2006, 02:42 PM
I don't think it will compete with Incredible Pizza. It caters to a different crowd. IP caters to a younger crowd for the most part.

Metro's right. Incredible Pizza's competition is Celebration Station. And, from what I hear, IP has really cut into Celebration Station's birthday party business.

John
05-10-2006, 03:02 PM
I tend to wonder how it will compete with Incredible Pizza, not too far away from there.

Incredible Pizza is pretty much a Chuck-E-Cheese on steroids, catering to kids.

This is geared towards the 18-40 demographic

SoonerDave
05-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Incredible Pizza is pretty much a Chuck-E-Cheese on steroids, catering to kids.

LOL - that's *verbatim* how I described it to my family, only I think IP's pizza (and food in general) is slightly better. I know, I know, that's not saying much. :) Actually, it's kinda like a cross between CiCi's and Chuck-E-Cheese on steroids...

What I like about IP is that, as busy as they are, they seem to do a really nice job of keeping the place relatively *clean*. It doesn't *seem* like you're in a din of 50,000 grimy little kids smearing grimy little kid grease on every possible surface.

And it seems they at least make a good effort on the food, which is more than I can say for CnC..

Go kart track is a novel idea, but I fear it may attract a "marginal" crowd over time. Not knocking anyone who likes to race go-karts at all, just thinking ahead a bit..

-SoonerDave

Patrick
05-11-2006, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I question the area the go cart facility will be put in. Something like this probably would've been better on Memorial Rd, I-240, Edmond, etc.

OklaCity_75
05-11-2006, 02:21 PM
I could care less what part of town it is going be in. I am just glad to see another big box property taken off the vacancy list.

That is the problem with some OKC residents, they think that only certain areas of town deserve new development. Everywhere else should remain blighted because of the people who live in that area.

I want to see all of OKC shine, not just Memorial, 240, Edmond, or Norman.

Who knows this and the Lowe's store may spur new development for that area. I would like to see the old dodge dealership torn down. Then maybe they can add a new strip center with some retail stores that are not in that area.

John
05-11-2006, 02:33 PM
I always thought something like this would have been perfect in the old Sam's on Memorial.

Darn carmax! ;)

windowphobe
05-11-2006, 04:23 PM
On the other hand, I like having something close to me that isn't a freaking car lot. (I live about a mile north-by-northeast of the facility.)

writerranger
05-11-2006, 06:50 PM
On the other hand, I like having something close to me that isn't a freaking car lot. (I live about a mile north-by-northeast of the facility.)

Did you read my post about the locale of the strip center and my thoughts on making it more viable with the Lowes coming in? Since you live so close, I'd like to hear what you think. My post is at http://www.okctalk.com/54731-post7.html

fromdust
09-22-2006, 07:16 PM
its open now. has anyone gone yet? my work had some brochures of this place.you can get a membership for $45 or a vip membership for$100. for each race it is $23 a person, $18 if you are a member. 45mph. sounds pretty fun.

writerranger
09-22-2006, 09:12 PM
its open now. has anyone gone yet? my work had some brochures of this place.you can get a membership for $45 or a vip membership for$100. for each race it is $23 a person, $18 if you are a member. 45mph. sounds pretty fun.

In my opinion, that is absolutely absurd pricing.

-------------

jbrown84
09-23-2006, 03:37 PM
There's nothing wrong with the location. No, it's not an entertainment hot spot, but it's not like it's a part of town that people are afraid to go. I somehow missed this announcement and just noticed the new paint job on the building the other day. Definitely a good addition to OKC's entertainment options. It's not for everybody, but neither is OKC Rocks or City Walk.