View Full Version : Another event coming to Oklahoma River

Patrick
10-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Well, the number of annual races on the Oklahoma River is now up to 3. The first was the Riverfest race led by racers from the Oklahoma Association of Rowing (OAR). The second started this year, and was last weekend, the Oklahoma Regatta, led by OCU. Now the third will be a drag boat race led by Bricktown Water Sports. This is great news for the Oklahoma River and for our city. The first annual OKC Bricktown boat race will be July 8-10th, 2005.

----------------
"OKC Bricktown boat race to be on the Oklahoma River
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2004
OKCBusiness NewsWire

OKC Bricktown boat race to be on the Oklahoma River

OKC – Bricktown Water Sports will host the first annual Bricktown Nationals Drag Boat Race, a point series race for the Southern Drag Boat Association, July 8-10, 2005.

Competitors in14 classes, including 230 mph Top Fuel Hydo’s, will vie for a share of the purse as well as points leading to national and divisional championships.

Gates at the Bricktown Nationals open at 8 a.m. each day.

Bricktown Nationals Drag Boat Race will be on the Oklahoma River between N.E. 4th street and N.E. 12th street on Byers Avenue. Limited public parking with overflow parking in Bricktown. Trolley will be available between Bricktown and the race site."

floater
10-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Great news. It's so nice to see we're taking advantage of the waterway!!!

mranderson
10-07-2004, 01:35 PM
Drag boat racing is fun to watch.

All we need next are Dixieland riverboats to race.

Luke
10-07-2004, 04:21 PM
Very cool!

PS: I like the riverboat idea. Make it a dinner cruise. :)

Patrick
10-07-2004, 06:15 PM
A paddlewheeler like the Showboat Branson Belle would be a nice addition once development occurs along the river. When I was in Branson a few weeks ago, I went on Showboat Branson Belle and I had a blast. Not only was the ride fun, but the entertainment was first class.

mranderson
10-07-2004, 06:22 PM
The intention of my mentioning the riverboats was two fold.

One, a joke. Two why not race them? Yes. I would like to see them.

HOT ROD
10-07-2004, 06:31 PM
Wasnt there a misspelling in the article?

[Quote]230 mph Top Fuel Hydo’s[\Quote]

shouldnt that be "Top Fuel Hydro"?

Anyways, this is great for OKC. We have Hydro races every year here in Seattle during our annual SeaFair event. The Hydros bring out the crowds but to seal the deal, we usually have the Blue Angels Naval AirTeam as well.

Hopefully OKC could really get this event going and have a precision Military Airteam fly during the event as well. {in addition to Aerospace America}.

Perhaps, Aerospace could have the ThunderBirds F-16 precision group from the Air Force, while the Bricktown event would have the Blue Angels from the US Navy, in addition to the hydros, and arts fest like food/crafts, along the OK river! (Am I dreaming?)

Sounds like FUN!!!!!!!

Patrick
10-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I guess that is a spelling error....that's the way I cut and paste it from the web site though, so much be an error in the OKCBusiness article.

HoodRat
10-12-2004, 05:58 PM
I'll be glad to see privately owned boats on the river.

Patrick
10-12-2004, 10:04 PM
I think that's in the works! Afterall, the Oklahoma River between Eastern Avenue and Western Avenue will be drained to install boat ramps pretty soon. I think the plan is to stock the river later! That's what the Fishery Department has been planning on doing anyways.