View Full Version : Bricktown (Okie Military memorial??)

okrednk
05-07-2006, 01:04 PM
Okay this is just a thought that popped in my head. I am just curious as to see if anyone else thinks this is a good idea.
What do you think the chances are that a group of us could acquire or get donated a small part of the canal area to come up with some kind of US military memorial for all the troops (who have oklahoma ties) who have been killed in the war on terrorism. Something kind of like a vietnam wall memorial thing. Not the same thing, but done so in a okie way. Just an idea, but maybe a statue of a cavalry military soldier kneeling down while still holding on to his horse (kneeling down beside the horse), as if he was praying. Hat off in his other hand. With a wall of the soldiers whom have lost their lives. Just a thought. What do yall think?

Karried
05-07-2006, 03:43 PM
I love that idea .. how many soldiers have we lost in OK since the start of the war?

I'll bet their families would be so honored to have something like this.

okrednk
05-07-2006, 05:54 PM
I love that idea .. how many soldiers have we lost in OK since the start of the war?

I'll bet their families would be so honored to have something like this.

I am not too sure on the exact number. Does anyone have ideas on how to go about doing something like this? How about any interest on running or supporting this kind of thing. I remeber awhile back there was interest in the walk of fame type thing but haven't really seen any interest since.

writerranger
05-07-2006, 06:07 PM
...some kind of US military memorial for all the troops (who have oklahoma ties) who have been killed in the war on terrorism.

You mean Iraq and Afghanistan, right? I see the initial war in Afghanistan to get rid of the Taliban as a logical war on "terrorism" after 9/11, but I don't see the war in Iraq as having anything to do - at all - with "terrorism." (As much as this administration would like to make us think otherwise.)

Also, I think any memorial should come after the war.

It's a nice thought though as too many are dying. For what, I don't think anyone can say for sure - and that's a slap in the face to those who gave their lives.

Call me a very skeptical conservative.

--------

John
05-07-2006, 09:11 PM
There is a Desert Storm memorial around the big flagpole on Sheridan & Oklahoma. I don't know if its been expanded to include the current war. I'd imagine something will be done there.

metro
05-08-2006, 09:17 AM
I think we should keep the partisan politics out of this. The question was whether or not it would be feasible. I think getting land donated for it would probably not be realistic, however aquiring land is possible depending on how much money you can raise.

Patrick
05-08-2006, 10:57 AM
I'd love to see a memorial like this. Personally, I like any public displays that honor our citizens.

mranderson had suggested an Oklahoma Walk of Fame several years ago on the the middle segment of canal. I loved that idea as well.

writerranger
05-08-2006, 01:32 PM
I think we should keep the partisan politics out of this. The question was whether or not it would be feasible. I think getting land donated for it would probably not be realistic, however acquiring land is possible depending on how much money you can raise.

Metro,

First, you have to decide what the memorial is for. The OP talked about the "war on terrorism" when they clearly meant the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. I see nothing wrong with trying to clarify who it is we are honoring, and for what war it is we are talking about. How can we talk about whether something is "feasible" if we don't clarify what it is that's "feasible." A memorial to "something" won't wash. BTW, it's a little hard to keep "partisan politics" out of a discussion about how to honor men and women killed in a war that's still going on - and highly unpopular. That says nothing against those who have lost their lives - only against those who sent them to their deaths. That's one reason I say communities should be thinking about this after this war with Iraq - not now. Otherwise, you have people making pretty unreasonable demands about keeping "partisan politics" out of planning a memorial for a war - still being waged! - that few people support.

Metro, I know you are very young and weren't alive during Vietnam. An ongoing war is inherently political. Trying to keep "partisan politics" out of a discussion about anything that has to do with war is, well, impossible. No war is conducted in the abstract.

metro
05-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Actually I was born just shortly after Vietnam. My father actually fought in Vietnam. I'm more than a half decade older than you think. I understand your opinion and value it, however I merely meant let's not talk about if Iraq is right/wrong. There are other forums on this site to discuss that. Okrednk's original question was would getting land be feasible, not what exactly should we honor. I agree that first must be decided in order to honor something. However I was merely answering the actual question of how hard it would be to acquire canal-front land through donation or otherwise. I hope you also understand my side.

writerranger
05-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Actually I was born just shortly after Vietnam. My father actually fought in Vietnam. I'm more than a half decade older than you think. I understand your opinion and value it, however I merely meant let's not talk about if Iraq is right/wrong. There are other forums on this site to discuss that. Okrednk's original question was would getting land be feasible, not what exactly should we honor. I agree that first must be decided in order to honor something. However I was merely answering the actual question of how hard it would be to acquire canal-front land through donation or otherwise. I hope you also understand my side.

I understand. This part of the thread is just an example of how emotions run high during a war, and how it's difficult to keep politics separated from a foreign conflict. I understand what you are saying though and will step aside from this thread. I support the sentiments without question.

BDP
05-08-2006, 02:08 PM
I think that's a valid question. The term "war on terrorism" is a political term, and as such, naming a memorial for those who have died under a poltical term will inevitably lead to nasty debates that will overshadow a legitimate effort to memorialize fallen troops.

Also, while I do believe a memorial to fallen troops is warranted and needed, I'm not sure I am comfortable with the idea of making it part of an established tourist "ride", so to speak. I think we can maybe find a more suitable and respectful location.