View Full Version : Can I drive the speed limit in the "fast lane?"

Pages : [1] 2 3

My4sonsjrbm
05-05-2006, 11:13 AM
I was driving on I-40 and I was in the left hand lane doing the speed limit and the guy behind me was mad at me!! Is it wrong for someone to drive in the "fast lane" if they are going the speed limit? Check out http://www.localokads.com/blog/ for a complete account of my experience. I'd like to see what others think. :)

Midtowner
05-05-2006, 11:33 AM
Actually, yes. More accidents are caused by slow drivers than fast ones. The left lane should be used for passing. If you are not driving at a 'passing' speed, you should get out of everyone else's way.

Courtney Caldwell of Road and Travel Magazine had this to say:

We all know that speeding is against the law. Why? Because most of us aren't trained or experienced in handling a vehicle at a high rate of speed, especially if that vehicle goes out of control. So the answer, simply put, is that it's too dangerous to drive at high speeds.

That said, isn't it also dangerous to drive too slowly in the high-speed lane? The answer is yes. So why then do so many people do it?

First and foremost, highways were developed with several lanes to accommodate not only mass traffic but also to provide various lanes for different driving speeds. In fact, most freeways in America are clearly marked with a maximum and minimum speed limit. The higher speed is for the high-speed lane, which is the farthest lane to the left. The lower end of the speed limit is for those who prefer to drive at a slower rate, which is what the far right lane is for. The lanes in between the high-speed lane and the slow speed lane are for drivers who wish to drive somewhere in between the maximum and minimum. Sounds simple enough to understand and follow, doesn't it?

Then why is it time after time, day after day, freeway after freeway, people are driving 50 miles per hour in a 70-mph lane? Why do they do that? What is their problem? Don't they understand the basic concept of fast and slow? And does it frustrate as many other drivers as it does me?

It's a basic concept taught in driver's ed. Slow traffic stay to the right. Faster traffic uses the high-speed lanes. What's not to understand?

It's much more than the rants of an irate writer, it's the observation of a journalist who specializes in road safety. It's just plain dangerous to drive too slowly in the high-speed lane. And drivers need to be reminded in case they've forgotten the rules.

When drivers drive too slow in the high-speed lane many dangerous situations can occur. First, it creates a long line of frustrated drivers behind the slow poke. Most wait patiently in hopes the slow guy pulls over, but others will begin to tailgate. While this in itself is illegal and dangerous, frustration builds, transforming law-abiding citizens into road warriors.

Some drivers get so frustrated, they pull out of the lane in a fit of anger, pass on the right to catch up to the culprit just so they can send a message with a digit, or mouth some idiotic phrase that the guilty driver can't hear anyway.

Nonetheless, you have the beginnings of road rage, and now a second person driving recklessly in an effort to deliver a message. Both these drivers endanger all those around them.

In no way do we condone such behavior, nor is it a peaceful solution to a potentially dangerous problem. There are other ways to resolve it.

First, if you're reading this story and find you may fit the profile of a slow driver in the high-speed lane, please pull over and drive in the lanes to the far right. Keep your eye on your speedometer compared to that of the legal minimums and maximums posted on the freeway. If you prefer driving slower, then be aware that driving laws state that slower traffic must remain to the right. Not only will it keep you safer; it will keep drivers around you safe as well.

If you're a frustrated driver who finds himself behind a slow-goer, flash your high beams a few times. Most people will respond to this. Let's face it, we've all been there when we're plodding along unaware that we've slowed down. Sometimes a gentle reminder is all the slow driver needs who is then more than happy to move over at a safe moment.

Cell phone use slows a lot of people down too, which has become a very dangerous problem. If you must use your cell phone while driving, please make a conscious effort to pull over to the slow speed lanes where you won't be a danger to yourself or to anyone else.

This is not only lawful behavior; it's also common courtesy. For those people who want to drive slowly, then please do so in the lanes designated especially for slower drivers. If you're holding up traffic or someone behind you is flashing their lights, please pull over to the slower lanes when the time is safe, and indicate your intentions with your turn signal or a friendly wave. When the person anxious to pass sees this, he or she will relax and back off until you make your move.

For you faster drivers who want someone to move over, give him or her a gentle nudge with the flash of your headlights a few times, or a little beep-beep from your horn. Give them a chance to respond and react. And when they do, send a wave of appreciation, not the international digit of disapproval. These are some very simple road manners that can and will prevent the escalation of road rage.

So the last question remains. What do you do if you flash your lights for two miles and the slow poke still won't move? That, my friends, is your decision and yours alone. Just make sure that whatever you do, it doesn't endanger your life or those around you on the freeway, nor escalate the anger further.

For future reference, doesn't be a slow speed driver in the high-speed lane. If you're not going to lead, then get out of the way. And remember, driving is a privilege, not a right.

I've seen studies (can't find any at the moment) stating that people who drive too slow in designated fast lanes (such as yourself) are far more dangerous than any other drivers (although I can't cite any methodology or reasoning on that, but in my personal experience, as much is true).

So maybe it would be helpful for you to observe the rules of the road and let people pass you instead of being a dangerous impediment to traffic?

My4sonsjrbm
05-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Did you go to the web site blog and read my entire account of the situation? Apparently not, because you would have known that I WAS passing someone at the time I was in the left hand land.

Midtowner
05-05-2006, 11:41 AM
To be perfectly honest, I don't click on links because people tell me to. I have to want to. You could have just as easily copied and pasted your blog material to this BBS. You didn't, therefore, I didn't think it was all that important.

sweetdaisy
05-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Midtowner, are you suggesting that she herself should break the law and speed to pass the car on the right just because an impatient driver was behind her?

John
05-05-2006, 11:46 AM
If someone was traveling at a faster rate of speed than yourself, you should have yielded to them.

Midtowner
05-05-2006, 11:49 AM
If someone was traveling at a faster rate of speed than yourself, you should have yielded to them.

Exactly -- or sped up to match their speed, then gotten out of the way.

sweetdaisy
05-05-2006, 11:50 AM
My4sons, you may want to post the experience on here, because you left out much of the story in your first post. Otherwise, people are going to tell you how wrong you were.

Though I despise situations as what Midtowner posted, the fact that you were passing someone makes it acceptable...as long as you were doing the speed limit. Not much a person can do when there's no other lane to put your car into.

sweetdaisy
05-05-2006, 11:53 AM
You guys have got to be kidding. She was traveling the speed limit and was passing a car. why should she have to break the law to appease some goober behind her?

Hypothetical: If she did happen to speed up to make the driver behind her happy and a cop pulled her over for speeding, should she get a ticket? Or do you think he'd be understanding because she was passing a slower car but the guy in the truck that came flying up on her bumper wanted her to go faster?

My4sonsjrbm
05-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Thanks Sweet Daisy. You are right. Here's the entire story.

Can I drive the speed limit in the “fast lane?”
We’ve all seen the signs on many freeways that state “Slower Traffic Keep Right.” Usually somewhere down the road from that is a speed limit sign that states the maximum and the minimum speed. To me this means that if you choose to drive less than the maximum speed limit, then you need to stay in the right hand lane. However, if you are driving the speed limit, then you have every right to be in the left hand lane for as long as you like, right? Well, I’m not so sure everyone feels that way.

The other day I was driving east on I-40 headed toward downtown OKC. I had two of my children in the mini van with me. The speed limit was 65mph so that is what I was doing. I was happily driving along in the right hand lane. There were vehicles whizzing past me in the left hand lane. I swear, some of them had to have been going 90mph. That really ticks me off. I’m a rules kind of girl. I feel like the speed limit and other traffic laws are there for our safety and protection. It irritates me when many drivers only obey traffic laws when they see a police car around. I’m all for unmarked police cars. Why do these drivers feel that they are above the law? Do they think that the traffic laws don’t apply to them? Even if I’m going to be late to something I drive the speed limit. Better to arrive late than to not arrive at all because I’ve been in a car accident because I was driving too fast. Many times fast driving goes hand in hand with reckless driving.

Anyway, so I’m driving along in the right hand lane going the speed limit of 65 mph and I come upon a car that is going just a little slower than that, so I signal (I always signal too. My greatest pet peeve in all the world is drivers who don’t signal, but that will be another entry) look behind me and move into the left hand lane, maintaining the 65 mph speed limit. A few seconds later a guy in a big ‘ole truck comes roaring up behind me. I’ve not quite passsed the car yet, so I’m still in the left hand lane and the car in the right hand lane is just slightly behind me. The guy in the big ’ole truck is stuck. He is obviously irritated. He blinks his brights at me. He is gesturing with his hand for me to move along by rolling his hand over and over. He’s mad because I’m in the left hand lane going the speed limit and now he can’t speed anymore. Until I can pass the car on my right, which will only take another minute at the most, he’s just going to have to slow down.

My neighbor Scott is an OKC police officer. I told him about my encounter with the big ‘ole truck and asked if I was in the wrong. Do I have a right to be in the left hand lane and drive the speed limit? Is that lane for “speeders?” He said I did nothing wrong and that all drivers are expected to drive the speed limit regardless of the lane they are in. He noted that many accidents are caused by drivers not paying attention to their surroundings. Whats beside them, behind them, and way ahead of them?

So I did eventually pass the car on my right and move back into the right hand lane continuing to maintain the speed limit. The guy in the big ‘ole truck must have floored it because he went roaring by me as fast as he could. I didn’t look at him as he passed. I didn’t need to see his angry, irritated face and I didn’t think giving him a disgusted look would make any difference. Now that I think about it I should have looked at him and smiled and maybe even waved. I wonder what kind of reaction that would have brought?

I just don’t understand why so many drivers feel the need to disobey traffic laws. We cannot pick and choose which laws we want to obey. I teach my children that all people who live in or visit this country must abide by all its laws, not just those that are convenient. This is a great country and a great state, and everyone has a responsibility to be a good citizen.

Well, until next time…Stay Great Oklahoma!

SoonerDave
05-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Let's be careful here, folks.

First, the OP stated they *were going the speed limit* in the left-most lane. They were doing *precisely* what the article posted by Midtowner suggested the driver should do:

Keep your eye on your speedometer compared to that of the legal minimums and maximums posted on the freeway.

That entire article is written on the pretext of *staying within the law*, not as a license to say, "To **** with speed limits, we're in the fast lane, so we can go any speed we want. Let's all go 90 in the fast lane and flip off everyone who won't get out of our way because THEY are the idiots." It isn't martial law, folks; you don't really get to set your own limit -- no matter how cool your car is, now matter how important you are.

Make no mistake; I'd like to slap silly any driver who drives 50 in a 70 or whatever, but if someone is going to get in my face because I'm *doing the legal speed limit* and it isn't fast enough for them, that's *their* problem. I don't think too many judges or cops are going to give you a second glance of consideration if you're ticketed going above the speed limit, but plea "I was just keeping up with traffic."

The person doing the speed limit isn't the impediment to traffic; the type-A behind them wanting to do 80+ is.

-SoonerDave

metro
05-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Exactly, the left lane is for passing. If you want to drive the speed limit you should get in another lane out of courtesy, hence all the signs along highways nationwide that say left lane for passing. Oklahoma seems to have had the most problem with this than anywhere else I've been in or out of the country. Seems like the bigger the city the more they get out of the way. I guess it takes all the more cars on your tail to get people the hint.

sweetdaisy
05-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Metro, did you read what she posted? I believe the original point was that she was in the left lane passing someone who was in the right lane going slower than the speed limit. she couldn't IMMEDIATELY get out of the way because there was a car in the right lane.

The biggest problem with this thread is the title.

SoonerDave
05-05-2006, 12:09 PM
If you want to drive the speed limit you should get in another lane out of courtesy

By all means, let's make sure we perpetuate the notion of it being OK to blow away speed limits by making sure we're not rude to them while they're breaking the law. How about a drunk driving lane, a makeup lane, a cell phone lane, and then create big sign that says "anyone caught driving the speed limit and devoting full time and attention to their driving will be arrested if they're rude to anyone who drives irresponsibly."

-SoonerDave

Patrick
05-05-2006, 12:10 PM
I don't care what the speed limit is. It isn't enforced anyways. The left lane should be reserved for those going the fastest. If you're going slower than someone behind you need to yield. I personally get tired of people going 55-60 MPH in the left lane. It's dangerous. Especially on Hefner Parkway.

If a car is on your butt, you need to pull over and left the car by.

If you refuse to move over, and you get rear ended and scarred for life, remember, you could've gotten out of the way. Sure, the person speeding will get the ticket and have to pay out for damages, but you're ultimately the one that's going to have to live with the injuries the rest of your life.

John
05-05-2006, 12:10 PM
By 'slower traffic keep right', they mean the speed limit and below. The left lane is for passing and then getting back in the driving lane.

While he might have been speeding, you don't have the right to enforce the speed limit by impeding traffic.

Patrick
05-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Metro, did you read what she posted? I believe the original point was that she was in the left lane passing someone who was in the right lane going slower than the speed limit. she couldn't IMMEDIATELY get out of the way because there was a car in the right lane.

The biggest problem with this thread is the title.

She should've waited behind the small car until the fast car passed by, instead of cutting out there in the left lane in front of a slower car.

sweetdaisy
05-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Oh! Did I miss the fact that she cut him off?

sweetdaisy
05-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Nope. Sure didn't. I didn't seeing anything about her cutting in front of someone in the passing lane to PASS A CAR.

SoonerDave
05-05-2006, 12:19 PM
I don't care what the speed limit is. It isn't enforced anyway.

In that vein, Patrick, you're right. We're supposed to be a society of laws, not of men; not of ad-hoc conjecture and subjectivity. The traffic laws SHOULD be enforced. That's why this problem exists. If they were, the OP could drive the limit without fear of being villified for obeying the law.

Sadly, that ethic promotes the notion of "it's not my fault," and thus no one is held accountable for how they drive except the people who obey the limit; the guys driving 90 in the 65 lane blame the guy driving 65. If you dare suggest the guys driving fast are to blame, the standard answer is, "well EVERYONE does it. It's not my fault."

You know what? Let's all start robbing banks. If we get enough people to do it, the ones *not* robbing banks will be a hindrance, we can blame and villify them for our bank robbing not being efficient. Then we can justiy those ends with "I don't care if there are bank-robbing laws. They don't enforce the bank robbing laws, anyway."

(NOTE: The above paragraph is intended as biting sarcasm to make a point. It is not intended as an actual solicitation to break the law.)

-SoonerDave

John
05-05-2006, 12:22 PM
If the car behind her was right behind her while she still hadn't passed the other car, then yes, she cut him off. She wasn't paying attention to traffic well enough to see that he was traveling at a rate of speed greater than hers.

If you're passing someone, follow the old adage: poop or get off the pot!

:D

Patrick
05-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Under the legal system, she has every right to pass in the left lane doing speed limit. I don't question that. But, I think we all know in society that very few obey the speed limit. The solution is to simply get out of other people's way. If you don't you're going to get run over.

Patrick
05-05-2006, 12:34 PM
I think sweetdaisy is just too sweet to get in the left lane and tail gate a slower moving vehicle. :biggrin:

Patrick
05-05-2006, 12:36 PM
You know what? Let's all start robbing banks. If we get enough people to do it, the ones *not* robbing banks will be a hindrance, we can blame and villify them for our bank robbing not being efficient. Then we can justiy those ends with "I don't care if there are bank-robbing laws. They don't enforce the bank robbing laws, anyway."

Sounds like a plan. Who'd like to start?

Karried
05-05-2006, 12:39 PM
This is not directed at the op because it was a passing situation, but I have to add that nothing irritates me more than someone chugging along at the 'speed limit' in the fast lane refusing to yield. Get out of the way please!

The speed limit is almost never adhered to, does that make it right to speed? no, but it does make it unsafe for everyone, more so for a self appointed vigilante cruising the freeways pissing people off by traveling at a slower speed than everyone else.

If people can't handle driving with the flow of traffic, there are some nice slower side streets that will get them there safely.

But, the person behind the original OP should have realized ( because she said she always used her signal) that she was Trying to get over and just couldn't. Waving and smiling at a person like that might invoke some serious road rage, with children in the car it just isn't worth it.. you did the right thing by ignoring him.

My4sonsjrbm
05-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Why is it that I always think of the correct thing to say, or in this case to write after the fact? I would like to respond to Midtowner. This is what I should have said.

Midtowner,

I included the link to the blog so that those who want to read the story and actually post an intelligent response could. The story is a bit long, not unlike your quote, and I thought that those who had the time and were interested could read it, but by putting a link and not posting the entire story it would be the readers decision.

So now that I've said that (albeit too late) I feel better!

Patrick
05-05-2006, 12:50 PM
Why is it that I always think of the correct thing to say, or in this case to write after the fact? I would like to respond to Midtowner. This is what I should have said.

Midtowner,

I included the link to the blog so that those who want to read the story and actually post an intelligent response could. The story is a bit long, not unlike your quote, and I thought that those who had the time and were interested could read it, but by putting a link and not posting the entire story it would be the readers decision.

So now that I've said that (albeit too late) I feel better!

BTW, My4sonsjrbm, I hope you don't feel like people are bashing you here. I often feel the same way you do, especially when I'm in the left lane going through a school zone.

Legally the fastest anyone should go is speed limit, but unfortunately, the speed limit laws aren't enforced. Because of the later, going speed limit in the left lane can actualyl be quite dangerous.

We need to do 2 things to fix the problem: 1. Enforce the laws better.....or 2. Do like they do in Germany...simply don't have a speed limit in the left lane. If you're going slower than the person behind you, the person in the rear has the option to flash their lights at you. You better move over. If you don't, they have every right to run you off the roadway and it's the slow car's fault.

Not sure what option would work better.

MadMonk
05-05-2006, 01:11 PM
By 'slower traffic keep right', they mean the speed limit and below. The left lane is for passing and then getting back in the driving lane.

While he might have been speeding, you don't have the right to enforce the speed limit by impeding traffic.
Exactly. It sounds as if she feels the need to try to enforce the laws herself when she should just mind her own driving and get back over in the slow lane. There's nothing wrong with briefly speeding up to pass and getting back over - even it it is slightly over the speed limit.

My4sonsjrbm
05-05-2006, 02:00 PM
IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE ENTIRE STORY, THEN DON'T COMMENT!!!!!!!!
How irritating it is to see comments from some of you people and you don't even have the foggiest idea what is going on. If you don't want to read the entire story, then move on to someone else's thread, but if you want to make an intelligent and meaningful comment then I suggest you read my entire account of driving the speed limit in the fast lane.

MadMonk
05-05-2006, 02:25 PM
I've read the whole story and my comment remains unchanged.

Patrick
05-05-2006, 03:26 PM
I've read the whole story and my comment remains unchanged.

Yup, me too.

Patrick
05-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Here's the blog article:

Can I drive the speed limit in the “fast lane?” (http://www.localokads.com/blog/http:/www.localokads.com/blog/archives/can-i-drive-the-speed-limit-in-the-fast-lane/)

http://www.localokads.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/car_swerving_road_sm_blk.gif We’ve all seen the signs on many freeways that state “Slower Traffic Keep Right.” Usually somewhere down the road from that is a speed limit sign that states the maximum and the minimum speed. To me this means that if you choose to drive less than the maximum speed limit, then you need to stay in the right hand lane. However, if you are driving the speed limit, then you have every right to be in the left hand lane for as long as you like, right? Well, I’m not so sure everyone feels that way.
The other day I was driving east on I-40 headed toward downtown OKC. I had two of my children in the mini van with me. The speed limit was 65mph so that is what I was doing. I was happily driving along in the right hand lane. There were vehicles whizzing past me in the left hand lane. I swear, some of them had to have been going 90mph. That really ticks me off. I’m a rules kind of girl. I feel like the speed limit and other traffic laws are there for our safety and protection. It irritates me when many drivers only obey traffic laws when they see a police car around. I’m all for unmarked police cars. Why do these drivers feel that they are above the law? Do they think that the traffic laws don’t apply to them? Even if I’m going to be late to something I drive the speed limit. Better to arrive late than to not arrive at all because I’ve been in a car accident because I was driving too fast. Many times fast driving goes hand in hand with reckless driving.
http://www.localokads.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/blue_sportscar_cruising_lg_clr.thumbnail.gif Anyway, so I’m driving along in the right hand lane going the speed limit of 65 mph and I come upon a car that is going just a little slower than that, so I signal (I always signal too. My greatest pet peeve in all the world is drivers who don’t signal, but that will be another entry) look behind me and move into the left hand lane, maintaining the 65 mph speed limit. A few seconds later a guy in a big ‘ole truck comes roaring up behind me. I’ve not quite passsed the car yet, so I’m still in the left hand lane and the car in the right hand lane is just slightly behind me. The guy in the big ’ole truck is stuck. He is obviously irritated. He blinks his brights at me. He is gesturing with his hand for me to move along by rolling his hand over and over. He’s mad because I’m in the left hand lane going the speed limit and now he can’t speed anymore. Until I can pass the car on my right, which will only take another minute at the most, he’s just going to have to slow down.
My neighbor Scott is an OKC police officer. I told him about my encounter with the big ‘ole truck and asked if I was in the wrong. Do I have a right to be in the left hand lane and drive the speed limit? Is that lane for “speeders?” He said I did nothing wrong and that all drivers are expected to drive the speed limit regardless of the lane they are in. He noted that many accidents are caused by drivers not paying attention to their surroundings. Whats beside them, behind them, and way ahead of them?
So I did eventually pass the car on my right and move back into the right hand lane continuing to maintain the speed limit. The guy in the big ‘ole truck must have floored it because he went roaring by me as fast as he could. I didn’t look at him as he passed. I didn’t need to see his angry, irritated face and I didn’t think giving him a disgusted look would make any difference. Now that I think about it I should have looked at him and smiled and maybe even waved. I wonder what kind of reaction that would have brought?
I just don’t understand why so many drivers feel the need to disobey traffic laws. We cannot pick and choose which laws we want to obey. I teach my children that all people who live in or visit this country must abide by all its laws, not just those that are convenient. This is a great country and a great state, and everyone has a responsibility to be a good citizen.
Well, until next time…Stay Great Oklahoma!

sweetdaisy
05-05-2006, 06:46 PM
She already posted the story in post #10. But thanks, Patrick.

Sorry, but I think you and MadMonk are completely wrong on this. There is no reason she should break the law for some joker who wants to go 90mph. And if she did speed a little bit to pass a bit quicker and she got pulled over for it? Then what would your answer be?

I usually speed a little bit on the highway, but I also understand that it is MY choice to break that law and I shouldn't force it on anyone who is trying to respect it. I just slow down a bit and take a breath and wait for that person to move aside when they can.

dirtrider73068
05-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Here is my take on the story adn I have read the full blog.

What she did was perfectly right and legal, she was doing the speed limit, lawfully. She passed the slower car lafully useing blinkers and checker her blind spots, she stated that she used her blinker to move over.
"so I signal (I always signal too. My greatest pet peeve in all the world is drivers who don’t signal, but that will be another entry) look behind me and move into the left hand lane, maintaining the 65 mph speed limit. A few seconds later a guy in a big ‘ole truck comes roaring up behind me."
Read what it says she signaled and looked behind her then moved over THEN a truck came flying up behind her. She was clear and LAWFULLY moved over. It was the trucks fault for flying up behind someone knowing if the truck had paid attention he would have seen she signaled to change lanes. She also said that she was going faster than the slower car but cause the jerk in the truck was in such a rush he can't wait a dng burn 5 seconds then she would have moved over. Everything she did was right and with the law. I would have done what she did, but if the guy couldn't wait I would have slowed down and impeded his flow and made him wait. What gets me is when someone signals to move over and its obvious they are passing and that driver is haveing a fit cause its takeing 5 seconds of his time that he will make up more at the light as he exits the higway anyway.

My4sonsjrbm:
You have my vote, you did right and by the way of the law, if any of the what 40 something police that had just graduated and being fresh out of class would have seen you act according to law and the truck get pissed and ranting then speed off faster than you would have pulled him over and gave him a ticket then his 5 seconds it took for him to wait for you to pass a car would have costed him 5 minutes or more of time to get the ticket.

Thats my view she did right and by the law, even in the fast lane, doing the speed limit is legal, if those wanting to go faster can go around or wait for the car she was passing to be passed and then continue ahead.

Keith
05-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Here is my take on this story:

My4Sons did the right thing, in my opinion. If I was driving in the right hand lane, doing 65 MPH., and I got behind a slower vehicle, I would also signal to mover over to the left lane to pass the slower vehicle. I would first make sure that the left lane was clear and that nobody was coming up on me in the left lane. Once I change lanes and start to pass.....if another vehicle gets behind me and rides my tail because I'm not going "fast enough," then he better have good insurance or lots of patience.

I refuse to speed up any faster just because some low life loser behind me is in a hurry. They will wait until I pass the vehicle on my right, and then I will signal and move back over. If they ride my tail, I tap my brakes so that they will back off. If they hit me, then they better be ready to explain to the officer why they were riding my tail.

I'm sure many will disagree with what I have said, however, if you want to do 80 or 85 MPH, then go to the fairgrounds speedway. There is no reason for anybody to go over 70 MPH on any interstate going through OKC. The Turnpikes are different, because they are a longer stretch of road.

As far as I am concerned, we have no law enforcement on the highways. People whiz by me everyday going 75 or faster, with no care in the world and no respect for other drivers. Why are there so many accidents on the highway???...Because of stupid people who don't care about anybody else but themselves, and feel they have the "right" to go as fast as they want to. The police or OHP will finally come out and write a few tickets when there is a fatality on the highway.

Has anybody seen the news in the last week? There have been numerous accidents in the middle of the night, and speed has been the major cause.

WOW....I feel better now.

brianinok
05-05-2006, 09:22 PM
I agree with Patrick. The simple fact is people don't go the speed limit. So, going the speed limit (or slower) in the left lane is probably about the most dangerous thing you can do. I did not say that it is illegal to go the speed limit-- but it is dangerous.

I am sure that the OP always follows the rules for her safety and that of her children. But, her, her kids, and others would have been more safe if she had sped up briefly (up to 70 for about 5 seconds would have been enough to get over to the right lane safely) to finish passing the car on the right.

windowphobe
05-06-2006, 09:47 AM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I value my safety a lot more than I value an arbitrarily-set speed limit.

If traffic is moving at 75 and you're going 60 in the "fast" lane because It's The Law, you're still obstructing traffic. I'll get around you eventually; I have patience and I have moves. But to me, you're just another member of the Anti-Destination League.

BDP
05-06-2006, 11:26 AM
There is a reason the sign uses the word "slowER". It simply means that cars going at relatively slower rates of speed should yield to right and that cars going faster should pass on the left. It's pretty simple and it sounds like this traffic blogger didn't do anything wrong. She got out of the way of the faster car once she had a chance. If she cut the guy off (and I read the post and I know it doesn't say that she did), then that would have been wrong. If she saw the 90 mph truck coming and decided to stick her speed limit going mini van in his way, then that just would have been stupid (again, I read the post and I know she did not say she did that). Other than that, it seems like she did yield to the guy when she had a chance and the truck driver was just a jerk for getting so upset.

That being said, anyone who intentionally impedes traffic to prove a point about the almighty "rules" is putting everyone at risk and is as big of a jerk as the irritated truck driver. Rule #1 is don't be stupid. (and I know, I read the post, she did not say she was doing that...)

And while we’re at it, when merging onto the freeway from an on ramp, YIELD to traffic. It is not the responsibility of the freeway traffic to create space for you, as most of the time that would require a dangerous move on their part.

venture
05-06-2006, 12:19 PM
And while we’re at it, when merging onto the freeway from an on ramp, YIELD to traffic. It is not the responsibility of the freeway traffic to create space for you, as most of the time that would require a dangerous move on their part.

I've been reading this thread, but haven't decided to comment until this part. Yeilding. That is probably my BIGGEST complaint with drivers. If you have a yeild sign and I'm coming your way, you better stop or I will hit you (your fault, not mine). I do have issues with road rage sometimes, and I have been known to let my brake lights get pretty close to the moronic non-yeilding wacko just getting on the highway. The worst area is probably 235 north to 44 west. No one coming onto 235 yeilds, all though they have a yeild sign.

Perhaps they need to invent Yeild Enforcement Cameras...though that may get a bit difficult. However, for the other issues...OKC really should invest in Red Light and Speed Enforcement cameras. I spent a few years in Ohio recently and they had them everywhere there...and the impact was very positive.

Karried
05-06-2006, 12:30 PM
I completely disagree... The worst part of driving in OK is the stupid Yield signs... how they expect a Stopped vehicle to get up to speed and safely merge from 0-65 in two seconds is beyond me. It is completely moronic.

I was taught to get up to the speed of the traveling cars, signal and merge in.. and I was taught to get over to let others on the freeway. In my 25 years of driving, I've never had an accident ( knock on wood).

In California, yielding while merging onto a freeway will get you rear ended and/ or killed. I know we don't have as much traffic here but please, you have to be able to get some speed to get with the flow of traffic.

OK needs to have longer merge lanes and people in the slow lane should be courteous and move over to let people on if they can safely change lanes.

Karried
05-06-2006, 12:37 PM
If you have a yeild sign and I'm coming your way, you better stop or I will hit you (your fault, not mine). I do have issues with road rage sometimes, and I have been known to let my brake lights get pretty close to the moronic non-yeilding wacko just getting on the highway.

In my opinion, you should practice highway courtesy and move over... And if you hit me after I've merged.. it's your fault if you are behind me.. you were following too closely. You just admitted a problem with road rage and tailgating.. whose fault would it be? The person who hit me from behind.

Speaking of road rage, I swear to God, if someone rams me with my kids in the car, they just better have a gun with them because I'm coming after them with a tire iron.

( Now that's road rage for you :-) Just kidding... of course. Maybe.

dirtrider73068
05-06-2006, 12:37 PM
and people in the slow lane should be courteous and move over to let people on if they can safely change lanes.

EXACTLY, that is one thing I hate those that don't merge and let me on the freeway so I don't have to stop to get on, and those that insist on stopping cause they are chickens to gun it and get up to speed so us behind them can follow suit.

mranderson
05-06-2006, 12:45 PM
I completely disagree... The worst part of driving in OK is the stupid Yield signs... how they expect a Stopped vehicle to get up to speed and safely merge from 0-65 in two seconds is beyond me. It is completely moronic.

I was taught to get up to the speed of the traveling cars, signal and merge in.. and I was taught to get over to let others on the freeway. In my 25 years of driving, I've never had an accident ( knock on wood).

In California, yielding while merging onto a freeway will get you rear ended and/ or killed. I know we don't have as much traffic here but please, you have to be able to get some speed to get with the flow of traffic.

OK needs to have longer merge lanes and people in the slow lane should be courteous and move over to let people on if they can safely change lanes.

Amen! If I am on an acceleraton lane (note the name of that lane) I am crusing to 60 or 65 miles per hour. The last thing I am doing is stopping because some moron is too rude to let me on.

In addition. I drive an acceptable speed which averages five miles over the limit (and that is slow on the freeway). If you insist on driving ten or more miles below the limit, then either get into another lane or get off the freeway. Driving slow is just as dangerous as driving fast.

Plus, I suggest you learn what that stick on the left side of your steering wheel is for and use it. Without that thing, I do not know if you are changing lanes. Plus, one lane at a time. And... If I use that stick, then let me do my job. It means I want to pass some slowy.

One more thing. The speed limit on May avenue is 40... Not 20.

My4sonsjrbm
05-06-2006, 04:14 PM
EXACTLY, that is one thing I hate those that don't merge and let me on the freeway

That brings us back to my original point. In order to allow many drivers to merge into traffic the driver in the left or "slow" lane must move into the right or "fast" lane. If no one is in that lane, then there's not a problem, however if there's a driver like my guy in the big 'ole truck, then I've made one driver happy by allowing him or her to safely merge onto the freeway, but I've ticked another guy off because I'm now in the "fast" lane doing the speed limit and it may take me a minute or two before I can get back into the left hand lane again.

On my original post I did not mean to imply that I drive in the right hand lane to be a citizen cop and enforce the speed limit on my own. I drive in the left hand lane most of the time and like most other drivers I use the right hand lane for passing.
However, I have been rather taken aback by some of your posts that state that just because the speed limit isn't always enforced that there's no point in keeping it? I thought that it was our duty to obey all laws even if others aren't obeying them and even if a police officer isn't aroung.

You're using the same argument that those of us as parents try to teach our kids not to listen to when it comes to drugs or alcohol. "Everybody's doing it." But, in the case of the speed limit it's "Nobody's doing it" so I won't either.

Speed limits and other traffic laws are there for our safety and protection. Plain and simple.

MadMonk
05-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Dirtrider and Sweetdaisy, you couldn't be more wrong.

Let me clarify how I feel about her situation. I am not excusing the guy that "suddenly" came up from behind and rode her tail - I think he should have just slowed down and waited, but I am stating that if you can't pass someone without holding up existing traffic, then slow down and stay where you are until you can. The tailgater was wrong, but she needs to bear some of the blame. Judging by her words, it seems that speeders piss her off and she was going to do a little "civilian speed police" act to teach the speeders a lesson - regardless of the safety of others, herself or her family members riding along. So, the answer to her thread title is - yes, as long as you aren't impeding faster traffic behind.

There's nothing wrong with speeding up to pass briefly and then slowing back down again once you are back in the slow lane. I know several police officers and none of them would pull you over for doing that. Its called "traffic flow management". Most cops won't pull you over for doing 5-10MPH over the limit as they see that you aren't being a danger to anyone (i.e. "everyone" is doing it and you are going along with the traffic flow.) If you're zipping along 15-20MPH over the limit and zigging through traffic, then you are a hazard. Doing 70 in a 65 along with everyone else is good traffic flow management. Doing 65 in the left lane when everyone else is doing 70 is annoying, troublesome and unsafe.

dirtrider73068
05-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Doing 65 in the left lane when everyone else is doing 70 is annoying, troublesome and unsafe.

Not if the speed limit is 65, the slower driver was maybe doing 60, so she moved over and passed the slower car then got back over. Is was only annoying to the guy in the truck cause he was pissed since he couldn't run 5 times faster than everyone else, it was only troublesome to the truck driver, and it was not unsafe, she was safe signaled look behind her, and then moved over passed and then moved back over. She was only doing 65 in the left so she could pass, what you are saying now is that nobody is allowed to pass in the left lane, maybe we should all just pass in the shoulder so that we don't impede traffic for following the laws? The guy in the truck should have took a chill pill waited a dang min and she would have been out of his way.

BDP
05-06-2006, 05:32 PM
how they expect a Stopped vehicle to get up to speed and safely merge from 0-65 in two seconds is beyond me.

If there is only 2 seconds of space, you wait until there is more.

was taught to get up to the speed of the traveling cars, signal and merge in.. and I was taught to get over to let others on the freeway. In my 25 years of driving, I've never had an accident ( knock on wood).

That's exactly right, but the people on the freeway have the right of way. More often than not, they can not get over because there is traffic in their adjacent lane. They are NOT to slow down to let you on.

In California, yielding while merging onto a freeway will get you rear ended and/ or killed.

Actually, what gets you killed in LA is not yielding when you get on the freeway. There is no way that freeway traffic in LA is supposed to brake for all mergers and there is NEVER room to move over to let the mergers on. If you brake to let some "blind merger" on, you will get slammed into. This is the #1 cause of the widespread "idiot packs" constantly present on the LA freeways.

I do think it's funny how this thread went from "you must always follow the rules because we are a society of rules" to "well, except when there are yield signs, that's voluntary".

OK, if you're not going to yield at least look. I drive I-40 every day into work and there are so many people who just merge without even looking. I've got trucks behind me, trucks in front of me, and trucks to the left of me, and this yokle from the sticks who has the yield wants me to move? Sorry, but the yield signs are not just a suggestion.

Karried
05-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Actually, what gets you killed in LA is not yielding when you get on the freeway

Apparently, I'm still alive.

Why don't people drive in the middle lane instead of endangering people trying to get onto the freeway.. when you merge onto the freeway, isn't it nice to have an open lane or someone who gets over to let you in?

No one ever suggested that you were Supposed to brake to let someone in front of you - it is suggested that you practice common courtesy and move over if you can. Why is it that just because you are already on the freeway that you have more rights than those trying to merge onto traffic?

But my whole point is that OK needs longer merge lanes to enable drivers to get up to the speed of the flow of traffic.. you can't expect to merge into freeway traffic driving at 65 when you've stopped to acknowledge the merge/yield sign. That is ridiculous and that is what causes accidents... cars all traveling the same speed seldom have reason to crash into one another.. it's when you have someone doing 20 mph ( 0-60 in two seconds doesn't happen in the typical car) trying to get onto the freeway in front of someone doing 65 (who by the way won't get over to let them in) causing car wrecks. This isn't hard to understand.

jbrown84
05-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Four pages on this topic?????????

mranderson
05-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Four pages on this topic?????????

I guess it takes at least that much to convince these people that we have the right of way when we enter a freeway, plus the other courtesies of driving.:fighting2

Keith
05-07-2006, 12:00 PM
The problem with most of the drivers is that they DO NOT yield to other vehicles when they are entering the highway.

Another thing that really bothers me are the drivers that have plenty of room on the entrance ramp to speed up to 50-60 MPH, yet they try to merge doing only 30-35 MPH.....then you see all the cars on the highway slamming on their breaks. Don't even mention elderly drivers trying to get on the highway. They either pull up to the end of the entrance ramp and stop, or they creep their way on to the interstate, not looking back...hoping that someone sees them coming and moves over.

I know that many entrance ramps in the city are rather short, so it is hard at times to get your speed up when merging on to the highway, however, if there is a long entrance ramp, then speed up, yield to oncoming traffic, and then merge on to the highway. Also, when merging, don't try to merge all the way over to the left lane.

venture
05-07-2006, 12:39 PM
In my example...lets go back to 235 and 44. You have, lets say, me...trying to get onto 44 Westbound from 235 Northbound. You have traffic coming on to 235/77 from 44 right there at the exit. The lanes aren't that big in the first place, so when you need to get over and get off 235 - it is really hard when you have the morons coming off of 44 not yeilding at all. I'm sorry, if you aren't going to yeild so I can get over and get on my exit, and I hit you...its your fault and get ready to pay.

I have no problem with those that actually follow the rules and what not. Its those that just think thru traffic on the interstate must yeild to them, when they are the ones with the sign. If you have to sit there and wait, so be it. The situations described above, merging on at a slower speed, is more likely to cause a major pile up then you waiting a minute at the yeild sign.

I would also hope if anyone is driving with kids in the car, that they exercise more caution when it comes to driving. I think we've all seen the soccer moms in their minivans or SUVs zipping in and out of traffic without any real care in the world.

The Old Downtown Guy
05-07-2006, 02:19 PM
In my opinion, Driving is a privilege not a right and everyone that wants to drive should learn how to drive well, pay attention, extend common courtesy and exercise reasonable patience.

THE FAST LANE . . . Keep to the right except when passing. It doesn't matter what speeds the cars are traveling as much as it does to pass the car you want to pass and get your butt back into the right hand lane. The passing lane is for passing not driving one MPH over the speed limit or one MPH faster than the cars in the right hand lane, it's for passing. To pass, accelerate to at least 10 MPH faster than the car you want to pass, get it done and return to the right hand lane. If that makes your speed 5MPH over the limit, BFD. OK . . . during the OKC rush minute, if necessary, use every lane for driving, keep a reasonable distance between you and the driver in front of you. See #1.

IMO, indiscriminately driving in the passing lane when not passing is not only very discourteous to other drivers, but one of the most unsafe driving practices on the road. In addition, It pisses other people off and causes some people to pass on the right which is never a good idea.

I guarantee you that you won't drive in the passing lanes in Western Europe very long if you aren't seriously passing the car in front of you. European drivers take driving very seriously and are nearly all excellent drivers. Drivers that piddle around in the passing lane will shortly be overtaken by a car flashing its lights and inching closer and closer to their rear bumper until they get back into the right hand lane. BTW, Italian drivers are not crazy. Drivers that aren't skilled, aggressive drivers and get onto Italian highways are crazy

MERGING & CHANGING LANES . . . Speed up to change lanes, don't slow down and don't start coasting down to the exit ramp speed limit a half of a mile before the exit. Haul butt when getting on the expressway and try to merge without disrupting the traffic flow. If you approach an on ramp and someone is trying to merge, give them a break for petes sake. If they are a bozo going 20 MPH and trying to merge, do the best you can and protect yourself. Slow down if you need to, but try to stay off of the bakes. Always give the offending driver the finger, but don't take your eyes off of the road.

A GROWING DANGER . . . Truck drivers used to be the best and most courteous drivers on the road; no longer the case. At least half of them are idiots and have no clue about how to drive. Yes, I know that they have to take and pass a tougher driving test than the rest of us, but that doesn't mean anything anymore. They tailgate, drive way too fast in bad weather and drive in the left lane more than they should. They should also pay ten times more in fuel taxes and tolls than the rest of us. Their vehicles damage the roads far beyond what they pay in taxes. Not to mention the rocks and debris that their tires pick up and hurl at drivers following them and the tons of shredded tire tread laying all over the roads.

I feel much better.

Karried
05-07-2006, 03:42 PM
In my example...lets go back to 235 and 44. You have, lets say, me...trying to get onto 44 Westbound from 235 Northbound. You have traffic coming on to 235/77 from 44 right there at the exit. The lanes aren't that big in the first place, so when you need to get over and get off 235 - it is really hard when you have the morons coming off of 44 not yeilding at all. I'm sorry, if you aren't going to yeild so I can get over and get on my exit, and I hit you...its your fault and get ready to pay.

This sounds much too stressful ... Isn't there a service road you can take?

Always give the offending driver the finger, but don't take your eyes off of the road

LOL - Disregard this advice - are you trying to get us all killed!!?? LOL

MadMonk
05-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Not if the speed limit is 65,
Regardless of the speed limit, if you are impeding the traffic flow then YOU are larger hazard.

the slower driver was maybe doing 60, so she moved over and passed the slower car then got back over. Is was only annoying to the guy in the truck cause he was pissed since he couldn't run 5 times faster than everyone else, it was only troublesome to the truck driver, and it was not unsafe, she was safe signaled look behind her, and then moved over passed and then moved back over. She was only doing 65 in the left so she could pass, what you are saying now is that nobody is allowed to pass in the left lane, maybe we should all just pass in the shoulder so that we don't impede traffic for following the laws? The guy in the truck should have took a chill pill waited a dang min and she would have been out of his way.
If you read my statement you would see that I don't say the truck driver is right to ride her bumper, etc. You would also see that I did say that if she can't pass quickly enough to not impede traffic flow then she should stay where she is until she can.

As an example that takes the speed limit out of the equation, say the driver in front of her is doing 40MPH - the minimum speed on the interstate - perfectly legal (if not smart). She comes up from behind the slowpokes and decides to pass, but only while doing 45MPH. Some guy is doing 65MPH in the left lane and comes up on her more quickly than she can pass and move over. Is it legal? Sure, everyone is going under the limit. Is it safe? NO, because she is holding up traffic that's going faster. Once again, the whole concept of my argument is that if she can't pass the car quickly enough to not impede traffic, then she should not pass until she can - regardless of the speeds involved.

Keith
05-08-2006, 05:15 AM
Give the offending driver the finger? That's how road rage gets started. Many drivers shoot the finger at other drivers whether they are at fault or not. To me, it's dangerous, childish, and just plain stupid. Shooting the finger at someone shows lack of intelligence, and all it does is make people mad.

Karried
05-08-2006, 07:04 AM
Shooting the finger at someone shows lack of intelligence, and all it does is make people mad.__________________

Yeah, but it sure makes me feel better... but hey I have tinted windows!

Just kidding, I don't recommend flipping anyone off.. but some people sure could use a wake up call regarding their driving.

I agree with Madmonk wholeheartedly... if getting to your destination quickly isn't that important, why not stay in the middle lane and chug along behind someone going slow? Why even pass in the first place?

quailcreekgal
05-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Speeding is ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No different than illegal immigration, speeding is ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Doesn't matter who you are or what you drive or how important you imagine yourself to be. Blinking your lights, tailgating and honking your horn doesn't make speeding legal. Just because a pack of cars are speeding down Lake Hefner Parkway, changing lanes and trying make other drivers move out of their way blinking their lights and pointing to the right, doesn't change the law.
Speeding is ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ask the OKC Police and Highway Patrol to explain it to you.
Develop some self control. You are not entitled to break the law because you think you are entitled to do whatever you want because you are late for a meeting, a date or need to pickup your kids,
Speeding is ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is also ILLEGAL to run through red lights at intersections even though the light was yellow when you were still 1/2 a block away.
Most accident aren't caused by slow drivers, dear hearts, most accidents are caused by ILLEGAL speeding, just call the Oklahoma Highway Patrol and ask for the details.

Midtowner
05-08-2006, 11:36 AM
QCG: So you never speed, right?

My4sonsjrbm
05-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Quail Creek Gal,

YOU GO GIRL!!!!! It seems as if you and I and only a couple of others on the board are in agreement. Unfourtunately, I don't think that anything we say will change the minds of the others. The only thing that will change their minds is when one of them gets into an accident and kills or permanetly cripples themselves or someone else. So sad.