View Full Version : Deadly Force Bill

Keith
05-04-2006, 08:29 PM
I have mixed emotions about this, because I believe that we have a right to defend ourselves against criminals, however, I also don't want the streets of OKC to look like something out of Gunsmoke.

Deadly force bill passes House

By Jennifer Mock
The Oklahoman

Legislation expanding when people can use deadly force to protect themselves passed the House today and now heads to the governor for his signature.

House Bill 2615 expands the Make My Day law to allow people to use deadly force -- usually a gun -- to protect themselves from someone who breaks into their home, whether the intruder uses deadly force or not.

The legislation would allow:
Drivers or passengers to use deadly force if someone is trying to carjack their vehicle. Guests in a home to use deadly force to defend themselves and their acquaintances. The bill is patterned after a Florida law that went into effect last year.

Some legislators have called on Gov. Brad Henry to veto the bill, saying it will lead to innocent bystanders being shot.

“This is a scary measure that could have a dramatic impact on public safety,” said Rep. Mike Shelton, D-Oklahoma City. “This law is an invitation to shooting in the streets and I don’t think we want that.”

workman45
05-07-2006, 07:40 AM
That's the same message that was used to try to kill the Florida bill. Since there hasn't been a problem after passage of the Florida bill, it shows their 'alarmism' was entirely unfounded. The results from Florida show this to be a common sense law that people use in such a fashion. Instead of streets "running with blood", more 'alarmist' propoganda, this bill has increased saftey for the average citizen. Yet it has decreased safety for criminals while attacking law abiding citizens, a fact I know I can live comfortably with.