View Full Version : annoying weather updates

CaptainAmerica
05-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Ok, something that has really gotten me annoyed/angry are the almost constant weather updates. We are not intterupting your program, but there are currently some possibly damaging 35 mph winds in the south fourty of oklahoma, that is all. Go back and find out i have missed 5 mins of my show.

Keith
05-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Ok, something that has really gotten me annoyed/angry are the almost constant weather updates. We are not intterupting your program, but there are currently some possibly damaging 35 mph winds in the south fourty of oklahoma, that is all. Go back and find out i have missed 5 mins of my show.
Channel 9 has gotten so much better about this than any of the other stations. If there is a threat of severe weather, they will give updates during the commercials. Unless it is threatening the city at that very moment, then they will not break in to regular programming. I don't know about KFOR or KOCO, because I don't watch their weather.

andrew_7634
06-30-2006, 08:39 PM
I don't know about KFOR or KOCO, because I don't watch their weather. KFOR and KOCO are NOTORIOUS for butting in during programming, most likely, because....I really don't know

soonerliberal
06-30-2006, 11:14 PM
I agree, KWTV is the most responsible of the "big 3", even though there are times they can go over the top with the crowd. I mean, you gotta love Gary England! Anytime there might be lightning, it seems like KFOR has to call Mike Morgan in to go wall to wall with his "You're gonna die" attitude. I don't mean to just pick on Mike Morgan, but both KFOR and KOCO constantly break into programming, not commercials like KWTV, for just the slightest threat. Interestingly enough, KSBI with Brady Brus seems to be a really good and non-hyped weather source alternative to the others.

therebel
09-21-2006, 06:42 PM
Try living in northern OK, OKC stations don't give a flip whether you get blown away or not. I realize it's not necessarily their market area, but we rely on them as well.

Karried
09-21-2006, 06:46 PM
How far north do you live? Doesn't Tulsa or Enid offer coverage?

That's scary.. how about a weather radio?

therebel
09-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Ponca City. Yes, there is coverage, but it's mostly radio. TV, with the exception of channel 5, leaves a lot to be desired. Seems like if it's north of Perry, most of them lose interest.

Karried
09-21-2006, 07:04 PM
Wow, if you're in Ponca City, turn on channel 5, there are quite a few tornado warnings up there East of you. Hopefully far gone by now .. but the warnings are north of Tulsa - Kansas border.

therebel
09-21-2006, 07:05 PM
Fortunately for us and you OKC folks, the dryline failed to materialize until it got much farther east.

Karried
09-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Oh good, yeah, I was thinking the same thing.. we dodged a bullet.. I hope the others are okay east of us.

By the way, I met some really cool people from Ponca City on a cruise out of Galveston - we went Cave Tubing with them in Belize.. lost contact with them but they were awesome. He was a Doctor.. very nice family. Wish I would have kept in touch.. they love Ponca City.. do you like living there?

therebel
09-21-2006, 07:15 PM
It's not bad. My family and I have lived here for 16 years now. We are originally Jayhawks from Lawrence, KS. We miss home, but the employment opportunities are better here. That's why we came.

Easy180
09-21-2006, 08:28 PM
Hey therebel...we had a good time w/ the Jayhawk fans at the OU-Kansas football game in KC last year...Most we ran into were good people

Was kind of funny that their trash talking always ended up with KU basketball :LolLolLol

Pope
09-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I live in Ponca, too. Luckily my parents bought some little yellow radio thing, and it has a guy on it that reads off everything for Ponca during a storm. He also sounds amazingly similiar to Arnold Schwarzanegger (Did I even get close to spelling that right!?) So we're okay when it comes to storms. My mom freaks out everytime there's a tornado watch though and turns the thing up full blast.

therebel
09-22-2006, 05:31 AM
Hey therebel...we had a good time w/ the Jayhawk fans at the OU-Kansas football game in KC last year...Most we ran into were good people

Was kind of funny that their trash talking always ended up with KU basketball :LolLolLol

Well, when that's your claim to fame, I suppose that's what you go with. We were there too, and sat next to OU followers with our blue shirts on. We never told any of them we were from Ponca....they'd have killed us! LOL But, in all honesty, they were very nice and we had a great time.

therebel
09-22-2006, 05:32 AM
Yeah, I live in Ponca, too. Luckily my parents bought some little yellow radio thing, and it has a guy on it that reads off everything for Ponca during a storm. He also sounds amazingly similiar to Arnold Schwarzanegger (Did I even get close to spelling that right!?) So we're okay when it comes to storms. My mom freaks out everytime there's a tornado watch though and turns the thing up full blast.

We have a weather radio also, and if it gets really bad, we use it. But, most of the time the power has to go out before we resort to it.

Pope
09-22-2006, 03:10 PM
We have a weather radio also, and if it gets really bad, we use it. But, most of the time the power has to go out before we resort to it.

Here it starts raining and everyone is forced into a search for it.