View Full Version : Immunizations for school

sweetdaisy
05-02-2006, 11:58 AM
I have to fuss for a moment...maybe two.

I've decided to go back to school in hopes of a career change in the future. However, in October of 2004, apparently it became state law that a student must have 2 doses of Mumps, Measles, Rubella vaccine and 3 doses of Hepatitis B vaccine. Which is fine. Most students this is not a problem for, but unfortunately it was for me.

First, when I was a baby, apparently they only did a Measles/Rubella vaccination. So, I was lacking mumps. Plus, I couldn't find proof of anymore than just one dose.

So I chose to start my vaccines (no biggie) today and got my first Hep B & the MMR...OMG they HURT! The kicker is that my insurance doesn't cover it! They only cover vaccines up to the age of 19! I'm now out $131, never mind the fact I get to repeat it a couple more times.

Is this a nationwide requirement now? Or is this just another silly move on the state's part to protect us from ourselves? I was a student long enough to get 2 degrees already and have never had an issue with MMR or Hep B. WHAT'S THE DEAL???

Midtowner
05-02-2006, 12:01 PM
I had to do the same thing sweetdaisy. It was a true PITA.

The good news is that most schools will give you about 6 months to get it figured out, and many have on-site vaccination servicese to save you a little $.

sweetdaisy
05-02-2006, 12:05 PM
awesome. didn't know they had they "discounted" vaccines. I'll check with the campus clinic to see about it. Thanks for the info.

Did this irritate you too? I don't mind the first round, but sheesh! It seems excessive.

And my arms hurt. :(

escan
05-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Keep in mind, it's also to protect others as well.

Midtowner
05-02-2006, 12:20 PM
awesome. didn't know they had they "discounted" vaccines. I'll check with the campus clinic to see about it. Thanks for the info.

Did this irritate you too? I don't mind the first round, but sheesh! It seems excessive.

And my arms hurt. :(

It seems a valid concern for the state and these schools to have. When you get an education, the state has alot riding on you passing if you're at a public school. If you get one of these diseases, your education and the state's investment are set back seriously.

It seems a minimal investment which can turn about a great deal of good.

sweetdaisy
05-02-2006, 12:26 PM
so why is this not a nationwide law? or is it?

This question is simply out of curiosity now...I'm over my hissy-fit.