View Full Version : Underground Renovation to start

Patrick
04-26-2006, 10:29 AM
I've been waiting to hear this.

http://newsok.com/article/1826603/?template=news/main

Pete
04-26-2006, 10:55 AM
I still have mixed feelings about this...

Those tunnels have needed work for a long time but I hate to see foot traffic funneled underground.

I believe this is the reason that Anthony McDermid and some others were not in favor of putting more money into the system.

writerranger
04-26-2006, 11:37 AM
I feel the same, Malibu. It's a nice concept, but....for a very cold-weather city.

metro
07-18-2006, 11:21 AM
This just in. The city council awarded the contract this morning.

From the Oklahoman:

Conncourse contract awarded

By John David Sutter
Oklahoma City Council members today awarded a local business a $1.17 million contract to renovate a cavernous system of downtown pedestrian tunnels.
Downey Contracting received the contract to give the Downtown Conncourse a facelift. Downey's bid was about $1 million less than previous estimates. The company has built a local park and swimming pool, as well as repaired a city office building.

The Conncourse -- named for local banker Jack Conn -- is a 3/4-mile-long system of pedestrian tunnels and skyways that connects 30 downtown buildings. The system, which was started in the early 1900s and expanded in the '70s and '80s, will be renamed The Underground when renovations are complete. Its face-lift will include new carpets and lighting as well as the addition of several historical exhibits.

metro
08-23-2006, 01:13 PM
Underground under way

The 1970s blue and yellow carpeting officially is history in downtown's underground Conncourse tunnels as renovations begin to transform the system into "The Underground."
Alison Oshel, vice president for operations at Downtown Oklahoma City Inc., said Tuesday that Downey Construction spent the past two weeks pulling up carpeting and is about to start scraping decades-old paint and rust stains from the walls.

The $1.2 million overhaul is the first renovation of the pedestrian tunnels since they opened in 1974. Designed by Elliott and Associates, the project will include new carpeting and new paint on the walls. Information kiosks will mark 13 entrances, and new information panels will provide up-to-date directions for visitors looking for the quickest way to get to where they are going.

Colors will mark whether travelers are in corridors leading to government buildings, or whether they are heading to the convention center and hotels, or to some of downtown's bigger office buildings along the system.

Historic galleries will line the walls and provide visitors an opportunity to learn about downtown and the companies who have called it home throughout the past century.

Oshel said Tuesday her office is working with the Oklahoma County/Oklahoma City Historical Society to display artifacts as part of the downtown historical exhibits.

Art galleries proposed for the tunnels were approved Monday by the Oklahoma City Arts Commission. The entire project is scheduled for completion by February.

Videos showing life in the Conncourse and what the tunnels will look like when renovations are complete can be viewed at www.newsok.com.

Business Writer Steve Lackmeyer

traxx
08-23-2006, 02:42 PM
I think it's a mistake too. It takes too much foot traffic off the streets which is where we need it for it to seem bussling and alive. This money could be better spent elsewhere.

Karried
08-23-2006, 02:48 PM
I know where I want to be when the next F5 blows through... can that even happen downtown? A big tornado like in Moore? I've heard that tornados tend to shy away from congested areas but I remember seeing buildings being hit before.. does anyone know?

And if it can and does, will the Concourse be a safe place to go?

Doug Loudenback
08-23-2006, 02:52 PM
I know where I want to be when the next F5 blows through... can that even happen downtown? A big tornado like in Moore? I've heard that tornados tend to shy away from congested areas but I remember seeing buildings being hit before.. does anyone know?

Ha Ha! :boff: I guess timing might be important ... I've not ventured in to the Conncourse in awhile, but, as best I recall, it has an opening and closing hour ... maybe that's changed. But, if not, be sure to schedule the tornados accordingly! :tweeted:

keving
08-23-2006, 03:06 PM

I've heard that too. Although, I heard that tornados will get "pushed" away from areas of heat such as concretes jungles like downtown.

BUT, there was a tornado that hit either the Dallas or Ft Worth downtown several years ago.

Karried
08-23-2006, 03:44 PM
I guess timing might be important

tee hee, Doug, you know that's not an issue with me... if there's even a tornado watch I'm in the shelter.. if I had an inkling one was coming my way, I'd head straight downtown and get in the tunnel ... LOL

ps. if we have a tornado and I haven't posted in a few days will someone please come and get me out of the underground concourse?

metro
08-24-2006, 11:38 AM

Yes, it's possible. Anything is possible given the right circumstances. Look at New Orleans for example. Yes, as someone said, they tend to stay away from denser areas, particularly downtowns because of the heat generated. The atmospheric conditions and temperature have to be just right for a tornado. Usually the additional heat throws that possibility off although I wouldn't say it's impossible, just unlikely. Yes, I'm sure the Conncourse would be a safe place to hide. It's underground a concrete jungle!

metro
01-03-2007, 02:21 PM
Decided to stroll around down under and see the progress on the Underground today. Took some pics:

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/showgallery.php/ppuser/204/cat/500

Kerry
01-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Tornados have hit downtown Ft. Worth and downtown Nashville recently. They don't shy away from urban areas. It is just a matter of size. Downtown OKC is only about 40 sq blocks. You can pick a similar size parcel of land in rural Kansas and it could go a hundred years without being hit.

It is just like the saying that most shark attacks occur in less than three feet water. This is because that is where the people are.

Fort Worth Tornado (http://www.dallassky.com/fwtornado.htm)
CNN - Tornadoes rip through heart of Nashville - April 17, 1998 (http://www.cnn.com/WEATHER/9804/16/nashville.tornado.4/)

metro
01-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Okay, but what do sharks and tornadoes have to do with the remodeling progress of the Underground?

Lauri101
01-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks for new pictures, metro!
Although our building isn't connected, I always used the Underground for my "walk breaks" in bad weather. Many of us downtown workers are looking forward to the re-opening and accessibility again.

I've been a downtown worker long enough to remember some pretty decent shopping and restaurants in the tunnel. Although the new lighting seems a bit "Logan's Run-like", it'll be nice to have a place to get out of the weather and get some exercise.

Patrick
01-04-2007, 03:11 PM
I personally would like to see The Underground become a series of tunnels, without shops and the like. Fill in the places where shops used to be, and use the tunnels only for traveling between buildings in the CBD when weather is bad. Problem with shops in the tunnels is it takes away from retail and traffic at the street level.

floater
01-04-2007, 03:43 PM
:iagree:

Lauri101
01-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Patrick, you have a good point and reasoning, however, there are advantages for both businesses and workers to have shops and, particularly, eating places, in the Underground.

During inclement weather, I will stay in and bring my lunch to keep from having to brave the elements to walk through the wind-tunnel streets to go out and eat. If I can duck across the grass into the Oklahoma Tower and make my way into the Underground, I'll venture further and distribute money to different businesses.

From a business owner's point of view, having shops and restaurants in the Underground simply adds more space, with possibly lower leasing costs (? - just a WAG) to have more opportunities for new businesses. Since I work in the CBD, I prefer to eat there. Since I'm typically downtown 11-12 hours a day, it would be nice to have places to go at lunch or breaks for both shopping and eating. Bricktown, with slow service and high lunch volume, is usually not an option for the average downtown worker with a 45 minute lunch.

Believe me, downtown workers will find and go to Underground establishments. It doesn't take us long to find new places. Yeah, maybe the casual CBD visitor might not be able to see the business at first glance, but, IMHO, there are enough of us working downtown to be able to keep a good business afloat.

metro
01-04-2007, 05:34 PM
I have to agree with Lauri. While I would much rather see the street level retail and food, it makes sense to have both. The underground is pretty much at capacity, not many if any vacant spaces that I know of. And I don't see them adding any new spaces. I love the new design (very international feeling). Lauri's points of inclement weather to eat make total sense, and besides, China Chef down there is one of the best Chinese restaurants in OKC IMO!

OUman
01-04-2007, 06:10 PM

Tornadoes are natural weather phenomena and will go through anything they want to. They don't "shy away" from anything, if the conditions are right for tornadoes, you'll have tornadoes, be it in a densely populated area or out in open field. Keep in mind major downtown areas have been hit before-Salt Lake City, Fort Worth and Nashville come to mind immediately, and there have been more.

Getting back to the topic, someone said it's better for a cold weather city. I don't know about you, but whenever the temperatures are in 30's, 40's and 50's here with 20-30 mph winds, uh yeah, it does feel pretty cold. That's exactly when The Underground will come to good use.

metro
01-04-2007, 06:33 PM
On another note, I keep forgetting to mention. Downtown OKC Inc. has done some pretty impressive art spreads as of late in Downtown OKC magazine. Full page color ads that make you want the opening of the Underground to hurry up.

Kerry
01-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Once downtown OKC become urbanized you will see the concourse disappear. Business need exposure and it simply isn't going to happen underground. Just look at the Underground in Atlanta (out of site out of mind). The concourse works great for downtown business people for lunch but that is about it. As pointed out earlier, a downtown work will search out food - a downtown resident will want the conveince of street level retail.

Pete
01-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Has there ever been much down there anyway?

I worked in Leadership Square in the mid 80's and all I can remember is a couple of lunch places, a convenience store and maybe a dry cleaners. And none of those seemed to do very well.

floater
01-05-2007, 09:10 AM
You can use the Underground to get to streetlevel restaurants in buildings -- FNC, Robinson Renaissance, Leadership, Chase and Oklahoma Tower all can be accessed without getting wet or hot/cold.

ksearls
01-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Most of you are waaaay too young to remember but ask any old-time Downtowner about what used to happen in the Conncourse in the early 80's. There were restaurants and bars/clubs that were major party spots back when happy hour was a hard core sport and the three martini lunch was the norm. It was a crazy, busy place.

There is tons of empty space there now and I think it could be cool again to be there. We have actually been contacted by a group of club owners with interest in locating there down the road.

Yes, I know the argument regarding taking traffic down under but it's there, it's going to be really cool (wait until you see those lights glowing in color) and Downtowners will continue to utilize it.

Pete
01-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Kim, I'm not too young! ;)

I worked downtown from 82-88 in what was the last really strong time for downtown. But I can't remember any specific places in the underground...

I remember the Brigadoon and a couple other places for happy hour, but none in the underground. Do you recall any of the specific names?

metro
01-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Once downtown OKC become urbanized you will see the concourse disappear. Business need exposure and it simply isn't going to happen underground. Just look at the Underground in Atlanta (out of site out of mind). The concourse works great for downtown business people for lunch but that is about it. As pointed out earlier, a downtown work will search out food - a downtown resident will want the conveince of street level retail.

I have to disagree with this quote. I'm a downtowner and I will and already do utilize it both for function and for somewhere else to eat and a change of walking scenary. As I've mentioned plenty of times, I'm all for improving street traffic more than Underground traffic, but it's an asset to this city. I'm a downtown resident and worker so to say I want the convenience of street level retail is true, but I'd support it underground as well. I love the new design of the Underground and think they are headed in the right direction with it. The only thing I'm upset about is the owner's of Cotter Tower (aka Chase building) that they refused to allow the grand entrance on their property. That would have been a nice showpiece.

As far as Underground Atlanta goes. I used to live there too (in Atlanta). It was THE place to be during the 1996 Olympics and last time I visited, about 2 years ago it was still hopping full with retail. It opens up to 5 points on one end and the other end comes out by the Coca-Cola interactive experience. Not sure what you're talking about here. This discussion has come up on this site before.

Lauri101
01-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Most of you are waaaay too young to remember but ask any old-time Downtowner about what used to happen in the Conncourse in the early 80's. There were restaurants and bars/clubs that were major party spots back when happy hour was a hard core sport and the three martini lunch was the norm. It was a crazy, busy place.

There is tons of empty space there now and I think it could be cool again to be there. We have actually been contacted by a group of club owners with interest in locating there down the road.

Yes, I know the argument regarding taking traffic down under but it's there, it's going to be really cool (wait until you see those lights glowing in color) and Downtowners will continue to utilize it.

I do remember there being some happy hour spots there in late 70's, but it seems they had mostly moved topside by the 80's. Dunno' - you know how memories can start to run together after a while for us oldtimers.
<toddling off to the early bird buffet...> :)

writerranger
01-05-2007, 10:51 PM
I have to disagree with this quote. I'm a downtowner and I will and already do utilize it both for function and for somewhere else to eat and a change of walking scenary. As I've mentioned plenty of times, I'm all for improving street traffic more than Underground traffic, but it's an asset to this city. I'm a downtown resident and worker so to say I want the convenience of street level retail is true, but I'd support it underground as well. I love the new design of the Underground and think they are headed in the right direction with it. The only thing I'm upset about is the owner's of Cotter Tower (aka Chase building) that they refused to allow the grand entrance on their property. That would have been a nice showpiece.

As far as Underground Atlanta goes. I used to live there too (in Atlanta). It was THE place to be during the 1996 Olympics and last time I visited, about 2 years ago it was still hopping full with retail. It opens up to 5 points on one end and the other end comes out by the Coca-Cola interactive experience. Not sure what you're talking about here. This discussion has come up on this site before.

Absolutely. The Underground (I like that so much better than 'Concourse') is another piece of the downtown puzzle. It will all come together and be impressive. As Metro said, the improvements are excellent and it's something else we can point to as evidence of a vibrant city.

---------------

jbrown84
01-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Is the grand entrance going to be built elsewhere?

metro
01-07-2007, 10:17 PM
No. They won't have a "grand" entrance now.

jbrown84
01-08-2007, 08:41 AM
boo

metro
01-12-2007, 01:55 PM
For all the naysayers and oppositionists of the Conncourse a.k.a. Underground. Today is a perfect example of when it comes in handy!!!!

jbrown84
01-12-2007, 02:40 PM
true dat

Pete
01-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Downtown OKC’s Underground set for completion next month
by Kelley Chambers
The Journal Record
1/19/2007

OKLAHOMA CITY – The once dark and gloomy tunnels of the former Conncourse are now bathed in colored light. Architect Rand Elliott’s vision for the Underground, as it’s now called, is just a month from completion.

The renovations began last fall and are expected to be complete in late February. As crews have worked painting the tunnels as well as installing new lights and carpet, the Underground has remained open.

Alison Oshel, who recently resigned as vice president of operations for Downtown OKC Inc. but is still involved in the Underground project, said the carpet, paint, directional sign panels and electrical work will be completed by Feb. 22.

Shortly thereafter, Oshel said the portal doorways, artwork, exterior signs and installation of plasma televisions will be completed.

Portals at the corners of the hallways are taking longer than expected to construct, and private funds may have to be raised to fund plasma televisions and additional art projects.

All artwork must also be approved by the Oklahoma City Arts Commission. The commission plans to discuss and possibly take action on the conceptual art for the tunnels at its meeting Monday.

Six downtown architecture firms originally submitted designs for updating the tunnel system. Elliott’s design won over the Conncourse committee and he was hired in 2003.

Cost estimates for the project are between $1.6 million and $1.8 million.

“We are very pleased with the construction achievements and quality of what Downey Construction has done,” Elliott said. “The most exciting thing is people are starting to see the completion.”

http://journalrecord.com/APTImages/CONNCOURSE%20-%20JP.jpg

metro
01-19-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm glad to hear is almost complete even though I kind of knew that from walking down there recently. Sad to hear private funds might have to be raised for some items. Hopefully Devon or another downtown giant will step up and fund it.

Pete
02-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Good video and interviews with the architect -- looks like they are getting close to finished:

NewsOK.com | Powered by The Oklahoman and NEWS 9 (http://www.newsok.com/video/102716/)

metro
03-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Kim, any word on when the new Underground signs will go up outside in the CBD? Too bad they couldn't of had them up for the Big 12 Tournament