View Full Version : Testing Vista Build 5231

okcpulse
04-23-2006, 02:46 PM
I installed a copy of Windows Vista Build 5231. This build was released in June 2005 before Microsoft released the official name for the new operating system.

Installing the operating system was easy. Installation was less than 30 minutes, and the Windows Setup screen is no longer simple text on a blue background. The new setup screen is all graphics. This build only asks you one question, and that is what partition you want Vista installed on.

Since this beta CTP release is months old, I can tell I will like the new Windows. Microsoft Office 2003 installed smooth and without a hitch, not to mention quicker. I had fun playing with the new icon feature, as well as the removal of the cascading menu on the Start Menu. The Start Button was still on build 5231. The lastest build sports the new start button, which is a round button with a Windows flag.

Unfortunately, I could not maximize the video capabilities and utilize the sound card, as drivers for neither were installed. Vista detected my onboard video RAM instead of my ATI Graphics card.

Aero was not a part of this build, but I do like the new UI better. It seems easier on my eyes. Sharper as well. I was able to breeze the web without a hitch, make a few posts, and send e-mail.

The next CTP release will be in July. This will be the public widespread release, with all Vista features included. Microsoft is still on track with its January 2007 release at the Las Vegas trade show.

Why upgrade to Vista? Aside from its new UI, which DOES have features Mac users may covet, the operating system is feature-rich. Unlike Windows XP, where DVD support was patched in when PCs began the mass movement to DVD-ROM drives, Windows Vista will offer native DVD-viewing and burning support, and an upgraded Media Center. You will be able to control when your children can log into their accounts, as well as filter out web content, and restirct what types of games they play based on the ESRB rating system. Windows Vista is also designed to integrate nicely with XBOX 360, and will place an emphasis on Windows Live, Microsoft's answer to Google.

I am buying Windows Vista Ultimate for its strong networking capabilities, and its rebuilt codebase (based on Windows Server 2003). Windows Vista was originally supposed to be a decendant of Windows XP. Microsoft decided to start from scratch in 2004 and throwing out all of the XP code afte the project became too complex and enormous.