04-23-2006, 11:05 AM
Restaurants

Current

no

Address: 440 NW 11th
Phone: 525-9779
Hours:
Links:
Official Website (http://www.cafedobrazilokc.com/)
Menu (http://www.cafedobrazilokc.com/?page_id=1655)
Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cafe-Do-Brazil/111474928893231)
Yelp (http://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-do-brasil-oklahoma-city)
Urban Spoon (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/500206/restaurant/Midtown/Cafe-do-Brasil-Oklahoma-City)

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cdbwiki1.jpg

Information & Latest News
Bassa Nova bar and rooftop patio under reconstruction; to reopen spring 2015
Gallery

Midtowner
04-23-2006, 11:15 AM
They also have a terrific lunch menu. This new interation of the Cafe is huge upgrade from what they were at 18th & Classen.

windowphobe
04-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Twice the space, about three times the atmosphere, and the menu has grown too. A very nice spot in the Midtown area.

escan
04-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Wonderful, wonderful food! It's a lunchtime favorite. Try the Prato Sao Paulo (rice and beans with chicken and FABULOUS green sauce) or their wonderful spinach salads. The only negatives I've ever experience are: in the winter the restaurant is VERY breezy-I was actually cold and am very hot natured and every once in awhile, I get very poor service. Specifically, there is a waiter who has been there a long time and he is a little blase in the whole "may I help you" area. BUT,that being said, it's high quality, fresh food, great atmosphere and reasonably priced. I'll be back...probably once a week as usual!

GWB
02-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Last Sunday my wife and I went to the Cafe do Brazil for lunch. We were really looking forward to going there as we've heard a lot of good things about this place. When we got there about noonish it was fairly busy but we didn't have to wait for our table.

My wife ordered the Brazilian pie at the recommendation of the waiter and I had chorizo with scrambled eggs. My chorizo and eggs were good, but not anything better than I have eaten in a Mexican restaurant. Unfortunately, my wife had to send her Brazilian pie back to the kitchen because it arrived cold in the middle and warm on the outside. Once she got it back (from the microwave I assume) she was pleased with it. She enjoyed the pie (especially the crust) and she said she would order it again. The muffins in the glass case looked really good so each of us decided to order a muffin. My wife ordered the blueberry muffin only to find out that they were out of them, so she got a raspberry one instead. I ordered an orange almond muffin. I guess they must make them in the beginning of the week because both of our muffins were very hard. We took a couple of bites but we couldn't finish it because they were hard and tasted stale.

The worst part of our experience was the waiter. We had to wave him down several times to get more coffee or remind him about bringing the muffins, etc. The waiter was either in a bad mood that day or he just doesn't enjoy his job because he acted like he would rather be anywhere but there. I wish I could give this place a better review, but that's how it is. I would be interested in hearing from others who have gone to the Cafe Do Brazil to see if maybe we just happen to go on a bad day or is this typical of this restaurant?

FritterGirl
02-29-2008, 08:03 AM
We already happen to have a thread on this topic. You can find it here, and see others' responses.

I really like the place. My favorite dish is the Xin Xin, a Brazilian specialty. I've never had bad service, in fact, quite the opposite, especially during a busy weekday lunch. Maybe they just have a different staff on weekends.

You can find the other thread here: http://www.okctalk.com/food-court/6219-cafe-do-brasil.html?highlight=Cafe+Brasil

Karried
02-29-2008, 08:42 AM
Moved it, thanks!

metro
02-29-2008, 08:57 AM
GWB, you're waiter was probably having a bad day. I've been there many times and frequent it fairly regularly and have never had anything I didn't like or not up to my expectations. Their bakery is outstanding and they make everything fresh daily. As with any bakery, anything sitting out after a few hours will start to get stale (Brown's Bakery and Daylight Donuts come to mind). Almost all their breakfast and lunch dishes are awesome and prepared fresh with fresh ingredients. I have only eaten dinner there once or twice though and the menu varies so I don't have any recommendations at dinner and it is a little pricier for dinner. Their pricepoint for breakfast/lunch can't be beat for the quantity and quality of food you get.

I highly recommend their cheddar biscuits (by far the best I've had over anywhere in the U.S.)!!! They're even better with just a touch of butter spread on them. Make sure they heat it up though.

CCOKC
02-29-2008, 09:07 AM
My family and I went last Friday night and it was great as usual. Our waitress was very accomodating especially when I told her I am a vegetarian. She recommended a dish that isn't even on the menu and it was great. I have always had very good service there.

metro
02-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Oh, I forgot to add that I also snacked there at the Urban Neighbors meeting last week as they offered appetizers. I must say they were excellent to no surprise as well. Various tapas and other dishes!

CCOKC
02-29-2008, 05:37 PM
I was not trying to minimalize the fact that you had a bad experience GWB, just trying to urge you to maybe give the place another chance. Most of us who have been there have had very good experiences from the look of it.

GWB
02-29-2008, 06:14 PM
We already happen to have a thread on this topic. You can find it here, and see others' responses.

You can find the other thread here: http://www.okctalk.com/food-court/6219-cafe-do-brasil.html?highlight=Cafe+Brasil

Yeah, I did do a search first but I spelled the way it's spelled on their website *Cafe Do Brazil* but here it is spelled differently *Cafe' do Brasil*. I guess that's why it didn't show up on search. Sorry if I didn't do it right. Oh well, glad that the other posts were added and consolidated into one thread.

GWB
02-29-2008, 06:33 PM
I was not trying to minimalize the fact that you had a bad experience GWB, just trying to urge you to maybe give the place another chance. Most of us who have been there have had very good experiences from the look of it.

No, I appreciate your comments. After reading yours, and everyone else's comments, I'm definitely going to go back and give them another chance. My oldest son told me about this place and he highly recommended them. He, like the rest of you, was very surprised to hear that we had a bad experience there. I look forward to giving it another try, but I hope we don't get the same waiter again. He really seemed to be in a foul mood that day. I know we all get that way sometimes, but I really get ticked off when the servers act like we are bothering them when we go there to spend a good amount of money to enjoy a meal. Anyway, I'll let you all know how it goes next time. Thanks again for sharing your positive experience at Cafe Do Brazil with me.

foodiefan
03-01-2008, 03:22 PM
I started to reply when this first popped up and then decided to see what some others had to say. I have been there probably four times over the past year. Each time the food was terrific, but the service ranged from poor to unbelieveably bad. Once example. . . I called to make reservations for 4 for Sunday after church and was told they didn't take reservations. the FIRST question I was asked by the hostess was if I had a reservation. I told her I was told they didn't take reservations. . .her reply was "well, I can imagine who told you that". . . it would have been better if you had a reservation". When a table opened up after about 20 minutes and she was taking us to our table, I indicated that next time I'd certainly reserve in advance. . .and her reply was . . ."well, actually it doesn't that help much. . .we don't know how fast the tables will turn and you still might have to wait a while". So . . .do I reserve or not. . . who knows?? I just avoid Sunday after church and other crunch times. Again. . .the food is terrific, guess the service is just part of the price.

FritterGirl
03-01-2008, 05:19 PM
I started to reply when this first popped up and then decided to see what some others had to say. I have been there probably four times over the past year. Each time the food was terrific, but the service ranged from poor to unbelieveably bad. Once example. . . I called to make reservations for 4 for Sunday after church and was told they didn't take reservations. the FIRST question I was asked by the hostess was if I had a reservation. I told her I was told they didn't take reservations. . .her reply was "well, I can imagine who told you that". . . it would have been better if you had a reservation". When a table opened up after about 20 minutes and she was taking us to our table, I indicated that next time I'd certainly reserve in advance. . .and her reply was . . ."well, actually it doesn't that help much. . .we don't know how fast the tables will turn and you still might have to wait a while". So . . .do I reserve or not. . . who knows?? I just avoid Sunday after church and other crunch times. Again. . .the food is terrific, guess the service is just part of the price.

These issues definitely sound like management issues to me. If they take reservations, they need to honor those reservations. The owner/manager needs to be consistent in training his and/or her staff (in the case of CdB, that would be her) and reinforce what she trains.

Lack of consistency is in service is a key to building a good reputation. I don't care how fabulous the food is in a restaurant, if I cannot count on good service time in / time out (allowing, of course, for the occasional waiter-having-a-bad day), I won't go back to that restaurant. It's a non-negotiable for me.

mecarr
03-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I had an experience there where I made a reservation, only to show up and them tell me that they cannot find my reservation. It wasn't a big deal because we went early and there were a lot of tables available. However, if we had arrived at a busy time and were denied a table, we would have been upset.

Pete
03-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Ate there last Saturday night and really enjoyed the experience.

We arrive at about 7:30 without a reservation and it was clear they were preparing for a large group, as the entire center of the main restaurant space had tables shoved together. Even so, before I could even finish my excellent caipirinha in the bar, the hostest came up to seat us.

We ended up on the little stage area, behind a musician that was playing a variety of instruments. Still, it was all very pleasant.

I'm a big fan of Brazilian mistos and was surprised to see only one on the menu, but quickly made that my choice. The spicy tapenade with little bread slices was a great little appetizers and I was pleased to find the spread actually had a little kick.

The misto arrived already off the skewer and had sausage, chicken, beef and a just a bit of vegetables. It was served with some steamed veggies, rice and beans and some sort of dry spice. I just sprinkled that on the meat and mixed everything together and it was quite good. The portion was way too big for me to finish.

The service was excellent as well. This place is a real winner and a great "something different" spot.

Bob&Frank&Ted&Bob&Alice
03-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Nothing like a little misto to really clear those sinuses huh?
Sounds like you've spent some time in Brasil!

Pete
03-10-2008, 08:52 PM
No, never been to Brazil but there is a Brazilian place close to my home here in California that I love.

If you guys have never had a caipirinha, I'd highly recommend it. It's almost like a margarita, in that it's made with fresh lime muddled with sugar then they add a Brazilian liquor called cachaca, which is a lot like rum.

Cafe do Brasil makes a great one but many other places are starting to offer them as well.

Bob&Frank&Ted&Bob&Alice
03-10-2008, 10:35 PM
Actually, we've had caipirinhas and actually they're kind of out now.

The whole mojito thing is in.

Of course, we're not all trendsetters from California.

CCOKC
03-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Pete, I always order that drink when I go into Cafe do Brasil. I don't so much order anything there as much as point to the menu and say "I'll have that" since I have no idea how to pronounce anything. Pretty sad because I have a minor in French and Portugese is supposed to be a mixture of Spanish and French.

Pete
03-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Here's the Brazilian ordering I know:

caipirinha: cap-uh-REEN-yuh
made with cachaca: kuh-CHAW-suh

misto (typically meat & veggies grilled on skewers): MEE-stow

MestaParkMan
07-15-2008, 05:22 PM
I had my first bad experience at Cafe Do Brasil this Sunday. I have been eating at this place since it was a whole in the wall on Classen. Of course I know that Sunday brunch is popular but the service was terrible. The food was outstanding as usual but it really threw me for a loop because the service in the past has been better than average. I hope that they are not taking a turn for the worse! It would break my heart because I love and promote this restuarant every chance that I get.

tuck
07-15-2008, 05:57 PM
I had my first bad experience at Cafe Do Brasil this Sunday. I have been eating at this place since it was a whole in the wall on Classen. Of course I know that Sunday brunch is popular but the service was terrible. The food was outstanding as usual but it really threw me for a loop because the service in the past has been better than average. I hope that they are not taking a turn for the worse! It would break my heart because I love and promote this restuarant every chance that I get.

You probably shouldn't have posted your comment until you went back for another visit, especially since you are obviously a huge fan. They might have been having an off night. If you have been going to Cafe do Brasil since they were on Classen and you just now had an off-visit; I would say they will be back to normal on your next visit. I just hope this doesn't open the door for more bad comments to flood the site.

metro
07-16-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm addicted to their cheddar biscuits, they are the best in the city hands down!

tuck
07-16-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm addicted to their cheddar biscuits, they are the best in the city hands down!

Actually the only in the city...I think.

The Old Downtown Guy
07-16-2008, 04:37 PM
The first few months for the new Cafe' do Brasil were difficult, both in terms of wait staff and food. Going from the tiny place on Classen to a full fledged restaurant and bar is quite a challenge. My experiences were all over the board, but things are smoothed out pretty well now and I think you could call the place a real success.

I hadn't been in for dinner in several months, but stopped by last Thursday around 6:30. Nice crowd already on hand and by the time I left the place was nearly full. I had the black bean w/shredded beef and sausage dish that is served in a stone pot along with a large plate of rice, greens and other mixers . . . fabulous.

Good service and owner Anna Davis was absolutely charming . . . going from table to table chatting with her patrons.

foy0613
07-24-2008, 06:55 PM
I had an experience there where I made a reservation, only to show up and them tell me that they cannot find my reservation. It wasn't a big deal because we went early and there were a lot of tables available. However, if we had arrived at a busy time and were denied a table, we would have been upset.

Now that is funny and completely ridiculous. Why would you tell the customer you couldn't find their reservation if you had plenty of open tables...obviously not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I have been there with a party of four and with a party of 18. Both times the food and atmosphere were great. The service was tolerable. I love their roof top patio and will continue to frequent the place, but not as much as I would if their service was excellent. The house special drink is so yummy. I would much prefer it in a larger glass. Half of it is lime wedges but it is a fabulous summer drink for sure.

MadMonk
11-15-2008, 06:42 PM
I went to Cafe do Brasil last night for a friend's birthday party. We pretty-much took over the upstairs bar area for most of the night. :)

I had a variety of their appetizers and never found one that I didn't like. I don't recall what exactly they are called, but the "beef kabobs" with the powdered spices were awesome, as well as the sliced sausages, and shrimp appetizer.

We had a great group of employees helping everyone and Wendy the bartender makes really, really good "Brazilian Margaritas".

Just based on the appetizers and service staff I highly recommend the place and will go back for dinner soon.

gmwise
11-15-2008, 08:38 PM
I love it there!

trousers
11-22-2008, 10:08 AM
only been there once, loved it. getting hungry as I type...

bombermwc
12-04-2008, 08:16 AM
The best greens under the sun. I love how they are still crunchy. It's almost as though they are just a little over being blanched. I LOVE them! The place is great for sure. Good food.....I've always had good service too.

I get a kick out of the guy that plays there though. I think he plays every instrument known to man. LOL. He's cheesey as anything, but it makes it fun.

icecold
04-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Went by Cafe do Brazil yesterday and it was closed. Looks like they were doing some renovations inside. Anyone know if thats the story or if they are closed? Certainly not closed, hope not anyway. Thanks.

Pete
04-17-2012, 11:17 AM
They are closed every Monday and they have several Tweets today about their lunch special, so they definitely aren't closed in any way.

icecold
04-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks Pete. Weird I am not following them on twitter. I will look them up and give them a follow.

BoulderSooner
09-05-2013, 09:24 AM
per this weeks Gazette Cafe do Brazil is in the process of expanding the rooftop Bosa Nova bar

Pete
09-05-2013, 09:45 AM
From that Gazette article:

Oklahoma Gazette: News: MIDTOWN: The hot place to be (http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-19151-the-hot-place-to-be.html)

The lure of Midtown involves its variety of restaurants, including Café Do Brasil, which operates out of a Spanish Mission-styled building at 440 NW 11th St.

Brazilian-born owner Ana Davis remembered the early days when “lunches were phenomenal, but dinners…nada. Nobody wanted to drive to Midtown at night.”

But suddenly, competition opened across the street. Instead of fearing more restaurants, Davis welcomed her rivals.

“It’s a marvelous thing happening to our city and the area. Thirty years ago, when I got here (to OKC), there was nothing in downtown. Now look at it. Now it’s our turn in Midtown. Imagine in three years what this area will be.”

Davis and her husband are developing an expansion project to enlarge the upstairs bar.

dankrutka
09-12-2013, 01:51 PM
per this weeks Gazette Cafe do Brazil is in the process of expanding the rooftop Bosa Nova bar

So, it's just the "upstairs bar" or also the rooftop patio outside too? Are they considered one and the same?

Prunepicker
09-29-2013, 06:12 PM
I've gigged on the roof top many, many times but never had the food.
I've heard nothing but good. This was a funeral home when I was a kid. I
think it was Guardian but not sure.
My Dad's laboratory was about a 1/2 block away.

flintysooner
09-29-2013, 07:13 PM
The food is outstanding I think and they have some wonderful gluten free offerings.

Pete
01-12-2014, 02:28 PM
bump for recent edits

Pete
10-24-2014, 02:35 PM
Cafe do Brazil is planning to enclose part of its rooftop patio, cover the remainder with a gazebo and greatly expand the upstairs bar:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cdb102414.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cdb102414b.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/cdb102414c.jpg

Urbanized
10-24-2014, 06:31 PM
Dammittohell

foodiefan
10-24-2014, 06:41 PM
Dammittohell

hotdamm!!

Prunepicker
10-25-2014, 09:57 PM
The building was formerly the Guardian Funeral home. My dad's lab was around the corner on 12th.

Jeepnokc
10-25-2014, 10:08 PM
The building was formerly the Guardian Funeral home. My dad's lab was around the corner on 12th.

It had a crematory also. I know that Guardian was over on Robinson and burned down several years ago. Was this their location before moving to Robinson?

John Knight
02-18-2015, 08:50 AM
I snapped this pic yesterday:

GaryOKC6
02-18-2015, 08:54 AM
It had a crematory also. I know that Guardian was over on Robinson and burned down several years ago. Was this their location before moving to Robinson?

The Crematory is still there. It was too heavy to move so they just walled it in.

kevinpate
02-18-2015, 10:23 AM
The Crematory is still there. It was too heavy to move so they just walled it in.

Thinking I now know where to invite friends to dine with me come Halloween .. muwhahahahahahaha

Pete
05-10-2015, 12:30 PM
They should be getting close to reopening the Bossa Nova bar and rooftop patio.

Anyone happen to notice how they are getting on?

Pete
09-10-2015, 07:11 AM
Bossa Nova has now reopened.

We need someone to go check it out, take some photos and give a report!

Should be really slick.

Urbanized
09-10-2015, 09:28 PM
I volunteer. Well, maybe not for the photography and report-giving part, but I'll check it out...

2Lanez
09-15-2015, 09:23 PM
Went Friday night. Have to say I was a bit surprised about the renovation.

1. The indoor area isn't recognizable. Total redo. They took away about half (maybe more) of the rooftop patio, and closed it inside main indoor bar area. The indoor area is interesting, bright neon lights along the walls and table seating, but nothing special. The bar is a large square/rectangle toward the back of the indoor area, stopping just short of the new patio doors. The patio, which was hands down the best part of this place, has been cut down to a very small section with maybe 6-8 small two-top tables crammed tightly into what was the far south end of the rooftop.

2. Food and drink menus have been redone. Some items have carried over from the previous menu. I love Cafe Do Brasil, so I trust the food is still good. New drinks mostly seemed to be variations of their Caipirinha.

3. Smoking still allowed on the patio, but no more cigars for sale.

I'll eventually give this place another shot just because I loved the old Bossa Nova so much, but with a cramped patio and no real appeal to the inside, I'll either go to Cafe Do Brasil if I want food, or elsewhere for drinks.

dankrutka
09-15-2015, 09:56 PM
Strange they would reduce the outdoor seating and expand the indoor seating considering every time I've ever almost everyone was outside. That was really the only reason to go there.

Urbanized
09-15-2015, 10:04 PM
Dammittohell

Yep.

dankrutka
09-17-2016, 09:41 AM
The weather was fantastic last night so we stopped by Bossa Nova. They did a pretty decent job with the renovations. The inside bar is set up well, but as you might guess, it was completely empty and almost every table outside was full. I don't understand why they reduced the outside area where they used to always have a live musician. Anyway, I wonder if people kind of forget about this place since they don't really promote it in anyway. When the weather is nice it is worth checking out.

Pete
09-18-2016, 08:50 AM
The upstairs bar does pretty well in the cold months.

I believe they also do private events up there.

dankrutka
09-18-2016, 04:28 PM
The upstairs bar does pretty well in the cold months.

I believe they also do private events up there.

Well, that makes sense. I could see that being a nice space for events.

okc23
06-29-2017, 11:56 AM
My wife and I went to happy hour (4pm-7pm) on the rooftop at Bossa Nova. (Great View) They serve happy hour $3 PBRs. One of the appetizers we ordered was 3 empanadas with shrimp and an amazing sauce. Unbelievable. One of the top 5 things I've had in OKC. They were $6 for 3 empanadas during happy hour. This place is way underrated when you take the view, food, drinks, and price into account.

Pete
07-05-2017, 07:07 AM
My wife and I went to happy hour (4pm-7pm) on the rooftop at Bossa Nova. (Great View) They serve happy hour $3 PBRs. One of the appetizers we ordered was 3 empanadas with shrimp and an amazing sauce. Unbelievable. One of the top 5 things I've had in OKC. They were $6 for 3 empanadas during happy hour. This place is way underrated when you take the view, food, drinks, and price into account.

Agree, and think it gets forgotten.

I need to get back there soon myself.