View Full Version : Idiots in New Orleans

Uptown
04-22-2006, 09:00 PM
Can you believe so many people in the city of New Orleans voted for Mayor Ray Nagin? These people really are dumb. It appears to be headed for a run-off.

(http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AjYPNBBMLB0unixIdDZw2dth24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTBidHQ xYjh2BHNlYwN5bnN0b3J5/SIG=10rm1k7vf/**http%3a//news.yahoo.com/)

2 Appear Headed for Runoff in New Orleans

By MICHELLE ROBERTS, Associated Press Writer 3 minutes ago

Mayor Ray Nagin and Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu appeared headed toward a runoff Saturday following the first mayoral election since Hurricane Katrina, a tricky experiment of modern-day democracy that gave scattered evacuees a say in this battered city's future.

With 49 percent of precincts reporting, Nagin led with 36 percent, or 14,753 votes, to Landrieu's 29 percent, or 11,983 votes. Nonprofit executive Ron Forman followed with 19 percent, 7,831 votes, and 19 other candidates trailed far behind.

Since neither top candidate was likely to get more than 50 percent of the vote, Nagin and Landrieu appeared headed toward a runoff May 20.

Elections officials say the voting was steady and unusually problem-free, and while they didn't immediately have complete numbers, the early returns suggested the turnout could be low.

Of the city's 297,000 registered voters, tens of thousands are spread out across the United States. More than 20,000 cast ballots early by mail, fax or at satellite voting stations around the state, and thousands more made their way to 76 improvised polling stations. Some traveled by bus or in car caravans from such evacuee havens as Houston, Dallas and Atlanta.

"Let me tell you something. This is an important election," said Gerald Miller, a 61-year-old stroke patient whose daughter was pushing her in a wheelchair. "We're going to straighten this mess out."

Around the city, a mixture of black and white voters were seen moving steadily in and out of the "super polling places" that stood for the dozens of wrecked schools and churches where residents would ordinarily have voted.
"It means a lot because whoever gets elected is going to help us rebuild," said 57-year-old Lorraine Payton. "This is about trying to save us right now."

The winner of the mayoral and city council races will face a host of politically sticky and racially charged decisions about where and what to rebuild in a city where whole neighborhoods remain uninhabitable.

Four-fifths of the city was flooded, and large parts of New Orleans are still woeful tracts of ruin. Rebuilding plans — and the federal money to pay for them — are being debated. Nearly all the public schools remain closed, and the tourism business, long the economy's mainstay, has drawn few conventions.

Nagin said at a precinct in his neighborhood Saturday that, with another hurricane season just weeks away, this is no time for a transition of administrations. "We don't have a year to wait," he said.

The 49-year-old former cable television executive became known in the immediate aftermath of Katrina for sometimes shaky leadership and frequent off-the-cuff remarks, such as when he cursed the sluggish federal response and later suggested that God wanted New Orleans to remain a "chocolate" city. Nagin stood by the comment and later said he was convinced the black vote was "coalescing" around him.

His chief challengers are white: Landrieu, brother of Sen. Mary Landrieu (news, bio, voting record), and Forman, chief executive of the Audubon Nature Institute, which oversees the city's zoo and aquarium. Forman won the endorsement of business leaders and the city's major newspaper, The Times-Picayune.

Race has become a key factor in the election. Less than half the city's pre-Katrina population of 455,000 have returned, and civil rights activists note that most of those scattered outside the city are black. Prior to the storm, the city was more than two-thirds black; it has not had a white mayor since 1978, when Landrieu's father, Moon Landrieu, left office.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson has said he plans to challenge the election outcome in court regardless of the winner, arguing displaced voters were disenfranchised because they weren't allowed to vote in polling places in such adopted cities as Houston, Dallas and Atlanta.

Of the ballots cast prior to Saturday's election, about two-thirds were cast by black voters, but analysts caution the numbers may not reflect overall turnout. The racial breakdown of the full vote was not immediately released.
Ater said he's confident that election officials, who fielded thousands of calls from voters on where to vote, did what they could to educate voters.

But not all evacuees who returned to New Orleans on Saturday were able to cast ballots. Dana Young, an 18-year-old college freshman who traveled by bus from Atlanta, was told at the polls that there was no record of her registration. Young said she had a voter registration card but lost it along with her birth certificate during the hurricane.

"I'm really upset," she said as tears welled up in her eyes. "I came all the way down here and now I can't do anything about it. They said they couldn't find me in the system, so I can't vote."

Midtowner
04-22-2006, 09:03 PM
Uptown:

I'd suggest that before you come up with a title for a thread, you read the article you're posting.

Title: 2 Appear Headed for Runoff in New Orleans

First Sentence: Mayor Ray Nagin and Lt. Gov. Mitch Landrieu appeared headed toward a runoff Saturday...

Mayor Nagin has not been reelected. He is merely going to participate in a runoff.

Uptown
04-22-2006, 09:06 PM
The fact that they need a run-off to beat Nagin is beyond me.

Uptown
04-22-2006, 09:07 PM
It is interesting that Nagin is leading in the polls. Most people attribute it to his being the only viable black candidate and his recent playing of the race card, encouraging blacks to rally around him and fight off the whites who are trying to "steal" back the city. Four years ago, Nagin received almost 90% of the white vote. He was the "white" candidate, the Oreo cookie. He was the relatively conservative, pro-business candidate and a lot of blacks were suspicious of him. And, shortly after he made his Chocolate City remarks, the consensus around town was that local and displaced blacks thought those remarks were a cynical ploy to get their votes. But, now that they are looking at having a white mayor for the first time in almost 30 years, blacks are rallying around him.

CaptainAmerica
04-22-2006, 09:36 PM
You know, i think that apealing to a specific race in that matter is degrading and simply shows what level politicians are willing to stoop to simply to acquire power. What would happen if a white candidate for governership used the rallying cry of whites, rally behind me, the blacks are trying to take over the city!

Karried
04-23-2006, 09:06 AM
Even prior to the Katrina fiasco, the city was in serious decline. The public school system was in horrible shape. The crime rates were atrocious.

One look at the hurricane coverage showed huge areas of poverty. Most of the footage looked like third world country coverage.

Why would anyone want that kind of leadership is beyond me. If they are voting to avoid having a 'white' mayor then they deserve to get what they have always gotten from Nagin - nothing.

CaptainAmerica
04-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Agreement!

crabby_cruiser
04-24-2006, 06:03 AM
Can you believe so many people in the city of New Orleans voted for Mayor Ray Nagin? These people really are dumb.
I thought the same thing after the 2004 presidential election.

mranderson
04-24-2006, 06:23 AM
Originally Posted by Uptown
"Can you believe so many people in the city of New Orleans voted for Mayor Ray Nagin? These people really are dumb."

Actually, most vioters are quite uneducated on the art of selecting a public official. Nagin is the incumbant. Many people recognize the name and vote anyway, without studying the candidates... Then compllain because that person never did a good job.

If you can not select a candidate intellegently, then stay home... And do not complain. You had your chance to vote for someone else.

2:1 Nagin wins. For this very reason.

metro
04-24-2006, 10:24 AM
I don't get it either. I guess the majority will get what they ask for in the end....

Midtowner
04-24-2006, 12:02 PM
I thought the same thing after the 2004 presidential election.

Blame the Democratic primary voters for picking a loser like Kerry.

That Bush was just a tad less repugnant is something that can be blamed entirely on the people that didn't vote for Bush anyhow.

crabby_cruiser
04-24-2006, 12:09 PM
I do, I do... I blame the Democrats alot... but they didn't vote FOR the current White House occupant... recent polls suggest perhaps Bush WASN'T the lesser of two evils.