View Full Version : Lofts on Broadway Extension

Pages : [1] 2

metro
04-17-2006, 11:05 AM
Don't know if anyone has noticed all the advertising and fancy billboards going up throughout the metro or noticed these lofts being constructed off Broadway Extention around 122nd.

Wiredlofts (www.wiredlofts.com) are going up in far North OKC. I think the outside of them is hideous and an eyesore. I am definitely an urban dweller and love lofts but they are in the middle of a field in the far North suburbs. The inside of these lofts is real nice!

Pete
04-17-2006, 11:31 AM
I agree they are not very attractive on the outside: Just a big square metal building.

metro
04-17-2006, 11:38 AM
They look like an oversized trailer covered in metal flashing.

Pete
04-17-2006, 11:40 AM
The concept wouldn't look so bad on the outskirts of downtown.

But I can't imagine putting that on Broadway Ext. & Hefner.

BDP
04-17-2006, 02:07 PM
Yeah, that's a weird place to do this. I guess this is for the "I want my place to look cool and urban, but I still want to drive my car 1/4 mile to the 7/11 when I need something" crowd. The rural urbanite ;)

writerranger
04-17-2006, 05:09 PM
I agree with everyone here on the exterior look, however, the future plans with the streets, landscaping and "community" is fairly impressive.

The interior look is very nice, no question about that. As for the location, I tend to agree it's a little odd. On the other hand, I can see the argument that these make sense for Oklahoma City and its "car culture." There's nothing "wrong" with wanting to be near a 7-11, a Blockbuster and other retail shops.

Someone said here at OKCTalk not long ago something along the lines of, "Oklahoma City is never going to be a New York - if that's what you want, you might make plans to move." That's actually very practical and realistic advice, and not sarcastic at all (as some might see it). It's just the way it is. Our "urban" atmosphere may very well be not only downtown, but in outlying areas....the potential is huge for developments along the lines of Plano's Legacy. http://www.shopsatlegacy.com/north_side.php (http://www.shopsatlegacy.com/north_side.php)
http://www.legacyvillageresidences.com/

-writerranger-

John
04-17-2006, 07:35 PM
The property these are located on has been on the market for pretty much as long as I can remember. I'm sure there was some elaborate plan in place that was scrapped after the bust. I remember there being a moat around a billboard with I don't remember what on it.

I guess this new developer liked what he saw in this land, especially with the new projects going on up and down this stretch of Broadway Extention (Sabolich, McBride Ortho Hosp., Surgicenter, Boldt, etc)

I do like the community plan they have in place and I guess we just have to see how it goes. The interior is really cool though. I think there is a market for this 'industrial' type interior in Downtown, perhaps with a grander exterior in the infill area of I-40.

The Old Downtown Guy
04-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Yeah, that's a weird place to do this. I guess this is for the "I want my place to look cool and urban, but I still want to drive my car 1/4 mile to the 7/11 when I need something" crowd. The rural urbanite ;)

New term to go along with YUPies, Empty Nesters and DINKs. Rubanites. Perfect name for someone who would pay almost a buck a foot for a corrugated metal box out at Hefner and I-235.

The exterior is pretty bad and I can't find much to like in the interiors either. Wafer-board sheathing, exposed cheapo wood trusses and flue pipe don't remind me much of San Francisco. Don't look for these photos to show up in Met Home or Dwell. All the copy about concrete, stainless steel and cable doesn't overcome the rampant butt-ugliness.

They will probably be full up by the end of summer.

John
04-17-2006, 09:52 PM
The front of the units in the picture on their website look okay, but the view you get from Broadway look like manufactured housing you'd see in south OKC.

Midtowner
04-17-2006, 09:56 PM
These are pretty nice on the inside. Ideally suited to be bachelor pads. I wouldn't try living there unless I were single. They're far too open to allow personal space IMHO.

I've seen a couple different configurations there.

Also, whoever said that the parking configuration was unique was incorrect. The 5th (6th?) street lofts also let you park in front of your door.

Patrick
04-17-2006, 10:03 PM
These lofts might be well suited for UCO students.

Midtowner
04-17-2006, 10:09 PM
UCO students? Maybe rich UCO students. These lofts are occupied by a lot of young professional-type people.

writerranger
04-17-2006, 11:07 PM
UCO students? Maybe rich UCO students. These lofts are occupied by a lot of young professional-type people.
Mid, I think you're probably right. I didn't see any prices - did I miss them? Of course, we can assume they're not cheap.

Pete
04-18-2006, 08:18 AM
Regarding the orginal plans for Broadway & Hefner, I was the commercial real estate broker for something called Four Corners, a mix-used development for all four corners of that intersection that was to include office and retail.

We held a big kick-off bash at Quail Creek and Peter Graves emceed.

This was in the mid-80's and we could never get it off the ground. What little development there was ended up going to the Quail Springs area.

BDP
04-18-2006, 09:43 AM
There's nothing "wrong" with wanting to be near a 7-11, a Blockbuster and other retail shops.

Of course not. We just have that type of living ad nasueum.

Someone said here at OKCTalk not long ago something along the lines of, "Oklahoma City is never going to be a New York - if that's what you want, you might make plans to move." That's actually very practical and realistic advice, and not sarcastic at all.

But it is VERY short sighted. No one is trying to turn OKC into Manhattan. But many want to see some aspects of the urban experience offered to potential OKC residents and to the young educated work force that tends to like to live in cities, especially early in their careers. No one is trying to reinvent the city. Many are just trying to broaden its appeal as a place to live and work and start a life.

OKC has and will continue to have driving to 7/11 friendly developments. What it doesn't have is walking to 7-11 friendly developments. I don't know why so many miss this point, but it does hurt the city's general development, as well as the recruitment of employers and employees simply because we can not even muster a small percentage of urban living. Doing so would NEVER be at the expense of our ample suburban living that's currently available. It would be IN ADDITION TO that housing mix. It would be an improvement not a replacement.

For those who smugly suggest that anyone wanting urban living should just leave Oklahoma City, why can't they just accept that even if Oklahoma City had some urban living, they wouldn't have to live there. That sentiment is also very unproductive in terms of growing Oklahoma City and strengthening our competitive position in attracting a diversified work force in order to foster and support a diversified economy.

Truth is, many young college graduates pick a city first, based on lifestyle, and then find a job. How does it help Oklahoma City to not have an urban living option for those that want it. In fact, with Oklahoma City's vital suburbs and relatively non-existent commute times, a small mix of 3-5% of real urban living would be perfect. This way one could have the urban lifestyle that's attractive to young workers and, in the back of their minds, they'd know that the suburban option would still be there for them if they wanted and it wouldn't come with a 2 hour commute. You could sell the city on BOTH fronts. How many cities can do that? Hopefully, one day soon we will.

writerranger
04-18-2006, 10:54 AM
For those who smugly suggest that anyone wanting urban living should just leave Oklahoma City, why can't they just accept that even if Oklahoma City had some urban living, they wouldn't have to live there. That sentiment is also very unproductive in terms of growing Oklahoma City and strengthening our competitive position in attracting a diversified work force in order to foster and support a diversified economy.

BDP,

I think you missed the last part of my post you were commenting about. I said that we might very well find some of our "urban" developments away from the downtown core. I even pointed to Legacy and offered links as an example. I don't disagree with you on this. But, those expecting that all future development that has an edge to it take place downtown will be sorely disappointed. In our car culture the future will look more like "urban outposts" ala Legacy in addition to downtown development. That's what I meant by it's Oklahoma City - not New York City. It isn't a smug or sarcastic thing to suggest that someone wanting the huge urban core of a large city as a place to live should look elsewhere. It is practical advice. If that is truly important to them, the only logical thing to do is to find a suitable large city and make it home as they probably will not find it here for a very long time - if at all.

dj_ango
04-18-2006, 03:22 PM
No one is trying to reinvent the city.

Are you sure... :)

http://www.reinventokc.om

Uptown
04-18-2006, 05:47 PM

Yup, we're sure. Click the link. Nothing comes up. LOL!

sweetdaisy
04-18-2006, 08:34 PM
Mid, I think you're probably right. I didn't see any prices - did I miss them? Of course, we can assume they're not cheap.

Writerranger, there is a tab that says "Amenities/Rates". $1125/month, but you get a FREE gym membership!!! :D

Seriously, the places are close to 1200 sqft, offer 2 car garages, and there are many amenities most apartments don't offer...probably not that bad of a deal if you have a roommate.

I think they're really ugly, though. :(

John
04-18-2006, 08:59 PM

www.reinventokc.com

you forgot the 'c' in com ;)

OULOri
08-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Okay so I had to join this board because of all the talk here. I am the property manager for Wired Lofts, and granted I know they do not look the greatest at the moment but they are " under construction" and yes we are almost full with phase one. By spring of next year we will have several more of these buildings. Plus a top of the line gym and pool and club house. And no the "elite" do not live here. We have several who are just starting out on their own with a roommate. I also do have young married couples and a few kiddos. We are different than most complexes. One we do accept pets no size limit. As long as they are quiet. Also the phone is answered by a live person 24 hours a day and you get to skip the answering machine that you get at other apartments. The owner had a vision and he isn’t sitting on the beach somewhere He is actually out there building along with the construction crew. And he actually cares for the residents that reside there, something you probably wouldn’t find somewhere else. And to answer the question of the vast field. All has been bought Delta Dental is putting their new corporate offices right in front of the building and we have the field on the north side. Also there are plans for a shopping center directly north of our complex. We also have deals with silver horn golf course for our tenants and have community mixer's to meet your neighbors and discuss anything you want to with the staff. I have lived in several apartments during my single years and I can truly say if Wired Lofts was around when I was looking I would have lived there. And tot hose of you say we are ugly take another look at the website.

Thank you

Lori Downs

Pete
08-13-2006, 09:46 PM
Welcome to the board Lori and thanks for the update.

Here's a picture from the website, and it does look much better than the under construction pix:

http://wiredlofts.com/db5/00420/wiredlofts.com/_uimages/IMG_3215.JPG

Patrick
08-14-2006, 09:30 AM
Hate to be negative, but the pics make it look like a glorified trailor park.

metro
08-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Welcome to the website Lori. I don't think anyone was bashing the owner or management for there management styles however. Most were just upset with the design and such. You're approach seems awful combative as a property manager. There are a lot of potential renters on this site, you might want to be more informative and less combative/defensive although I'm sure it's hard at times.

FYI for those who thought www.reinventokc.com was for this project, it's actually for the Maywood Park brownstones downtown.

jbrown84
08-14-2006, 11:20 AM
I agree very ugly. Particle board walls???

I like the community design idea of it though.

Speaking of "urban outposts", I think this new development on 2nd street between Coltrane and Bryant in Edmond, The Falls, seems to be one of those. It's retail and townhomes in a community/village type setting.

Luke
08-14-2006, 04:28 PM
What's the web site for wired lofts?

OULOri
08-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Actually it is called sound board not particle board, it is used mostly to help eliminate outside noise. It is a lot stronger than particle board.

And the website is www.wiredlofts.com

Lauri101
08-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Other than the hideous colors of the railings/balconies, I would live there in a heartbeat.

The concept is great, but that color....(shudder)

OULOri
08-14-2006, 05:13 PM
yeah im not found of "that" color, Model was suppossed to be red!!! Not pea green

Luke
08-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Ugh, not liking the particle board walls.

As for this concept, I'm sure the college co-eds love it.

bandnerd
08-14-2006, 06:50 PM
I guess I just don't get this "look." Too modern...metal..something for me.

Patrick
08-14-2006, 11:17 PM
The concrete pillars around the patio are so you can tie your ponies up after a long day of work.

These would give Jeff Foxworthy something to make redneck jokes about.

See folks, it's developments like these that give us a bad image.

stacyq
08-15-2006, 07:22 AM
As I hop off my pony and tie her up on my concrete pillar. I live here and I am here to tell you this place is wonderful, the staff is always willing to go that extra mile for you. I have lived at thge link's and also sycamore farms both in the high range on rent and neither place does what Lori and the other staff does for us. I dont think she was being combative she was expressing the property and the ammenties which are fab! We are a tight close community at the moment. With alot of us not ever living in Oklahoma City. If you dont get the style why bash it with "red neck jokes" And I am not a young profesional type I work at aol. But if you add that I dont have to pay for cox cable or cox internet, that saves me 150 bucks easily and add in my own garage and a full size washer and dryer! And a management staff that you can actually talk to. So if you dont get the design dont bash it.

onemoreokie
08-15-2006, 08:45 AM
The inside reminds me of a clubhouse I built when I was 13. Good concept, not good exection IMHO!

Midtowner
08-15-2006, 08:54 AM
My downtown apartment isn't quite as modern, but amenities and service are top notch.

I also spend about $300 less per month and get about 100 more sq ft.

Patrick
08-15-2006, 09:29 AM
My downtown apartment isn't quite as modern, but amenities and service are top notch.

I also spend about $300 less per month and get about 100 more sq ft.

Your apartment also doesn't look like a horse barn.

metro
08-15-2006, 11:04 AM
I love the modernness of it, I love the pea green, what I don't like is the poor execution as someone mentioned. I'm a modern minimalist so I totally get the intention. I think it would be far more visually appealing if it were a taller structure. It basically looks like a trailer covered with some high end finishing such as the railing, and stone. The corrugated metal is neat as well. I'm guessing most people's biggest objection is the "urban" look without the lifestyle and location.

I too have a downtown residence, an owner occupied condo. It's pretty modern in fact, and like Midtowner, I too pay far less including my HOA dues as well as the amenities are up there as well.

WiredLofts Apartments are the only truly advant garde community in the metro. This is a quote of the home page of their website. First off, I believe they mean avant-garde, not advant-garde. Webster's Dictionary defines Avant-Garde as the following: an intelligentsia that develops new or experimental concepts especially in the arts. Dictionary.com defines it as:

a·vant-garde ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ävänt-gärd, vänt-)
n.
A group active in the invention and application of new techniques in a given field, especially in the arts.

adj.
Of, relating to, or being part of an innovative group, especially one in the arts: avant-garde painters; an avant-garde theater piece.

With this being said, I have to disagree that WiredLofts are the only avant-garde community in the metro. Not using a spell-checker is not very "innovative" IMO. What about Deep Deuce, Brownstones at Maywood Park (which will have a large 50+ft art sculpture in the common area), Harvey Lofts, Block 42 (especially), Central Avenue Villas, and countless others? I guess those aren't progressive.

mythreelittlemen
09-14-2006, 09:58 AM
This is great! My property manager just showed me this site and I have just read all the postings. I am not a techno, so all this is new to me. I own the trailer park on Broadway. What excites me is all the energy and thought; it is like parisian coffee houses, circa WWI. This is good that you folks are not vegetables in front of a T.V. Keep talking, you don't hurt my feelings a bit. America and free speech are wonderful, I would not live any where else.

ksearls
09-14-2006, 11:18 AM
I think the look is cool. It will be great for those UCO students who don't want to stray too far from Edmond. I would much rather live there than some coookie-cutter, cottage-cheese-ceiling apartment at 122& Memorial. I like the green rails and think the stacked stone is really nice.

BUT, of course, I still think you all should live Downtown, it is and will be true urban cool!

Kim

jbrown84
09-14-2006, 11:40 AM
I can't believe the put "advant garde". That really makes us look like a bunch of hicks. They also have skyline pictures of other cities flashing at the top.

sweetdaisy
09-14-2006, 12:43 PM
The apartments aren't my "thing"...maybe 10 years ago I would've been all over them, but not these days. Which is fine...different strokes for different folks.

But I agree with jbrown...they need to correct the "advant garde" typo. And the skyline pics of other cities is disturbing and somewhat tacky. What's the point of those?

davido
09-14-2006, 04:28 PM
the only thing it is missing is a bloodhound and a yard boss holding a shotgun, and it would look like it was taken out of a scene of cool hand luke, and strother martin saying "What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Some Guy
11-07-2006, 09:09 PM
This complex of 18 units may be on the market, listed around $2.1 mil. It will be interesting to see what ultimately happens here.

Brazuka
10-06-2007, 05:06 AM
well hi there, i actually just joined and it's my first post, it seems like i needed to revive this thread because i have some questions. In January i'll be moving to OKC and was looking online for housing for rental in the area... and saw the wired lofts website and actually thought it looked really cool, but i've never been to OKC so i didn't know anything about it other than what the site said. anyways, i came here and saw all kinds of info on alternatives. so it's been a while since you guys last posted, so i was wondering, did that area around wired lofts get better? or should i look elsewhere, like the garage loft apartments?
any suggestion is appreciated.

zrfdude
10-06-2007, 05:53 PM
It's still in a field, looks horribly out-of-place. Lofts should be in a truly urban area, at least that's what I think. I do think they're working on a business park or something in that area, but it's still pretty sparse.

metro
10-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Brazuka, as zrfdude kind of pointed out and if you read this entire post, it's not that part of town is bad, in fact its quite good. It's just in an empty field and they look out of place in a field in suburbia. As others mentioned, lofts are more of an urban style of living. The Garage Lofts and others are truly urban lofts and downtown and not "faux" lofts.

jbrown84
10-08-2007, 09:09 AM
Yeah, these are not in a true urban area, but it depends on what you want. They ARE right next to the interstate, very close to a plethora or restaurant and retail options, and in a perfectly safe part of town.

Whereas if you want true urban living whether it be downtown, midtown, or uptown, your retail options are a little bit more limited nearby and the crime rate is a little higher although not to the extent that you should be afraid. An extra level of caution is all that's necessary.

metro
10-08-2007, 09:18 AM
Actually jbrown, they are not next to the interstate, they are next to Broadway Extension, which is a major thouroughfare, but not an interstate. Broadway will get you to I-44 soon which will get you to most interstates quickly. They are also not too far from Kilpatrick Turnpike.

jbrown84
10-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Oh dear. Please don't be mranderson with the semantics.

What would you prefer I call an autobahn-style road with on/off-ramps and no intersections?

Brazuka
10-08-2007, 11:22 AM
nice, thanks for the replies. After i read them i started digging around and found some other places i'd like to ask about (found them in downtownokc.com). just trying to see peoples opinions about them. i already know about wired lofts, but what about 5th avenue lofts, garage loft, and deep deuce at bricktown? again, thanks for the previous replies.

jbrown84
10-08-2007, 12:25 PM
5th Avenue and Garage Lofts are both in historic loft-style buildings with secure indoor parking. Both are on Broadway which is a main thoroughfare coming north out of downtown. Garage Lofts is about 16th and thus a little further from the action downtown and in Bricktown. 5th Ave. has great access to the downtown YMCA and a few retail and restaurant options in Automobile Alley (Broadway) and is very close to Bricktown--and also in a cooler building IMO.

Deep Deuce at Bricktown, as it's called, is not actually in Bricktown. Deep Deuce is a seperate distict just north of Bricktown. These apartments are about 8-9 years old and have a nice urban feel to them and a cool clubhouse. It's definitely geared towards young professionals. They have gated parking but most people seem to park on the street. They are 3-4 story buildings built right up to the sidewalk. I have heard some negative things about the service/maintenance there. If you like Bricktown's restaurants, nightlife, movie theatre, etc. this is a phenomenal location just over the Walnut St. Bridge.

Also downtown is the Park Harvey where I live. It's a highrise that was just converted from office this year. They aren't lofts, but have a modern style and great views--up to the 17th floor. Park Harvey is smack in the middle of downtown with great access to parking garages, the downtown library, the Museum of Art, the Civic Center, and the Ford Center. Rent is resonable (on par with Deep Deuce) and the service/maintenance has been great for the most part. No W/D in unit, however.

There is also a couple other options like Regency Tower (older highrise next the Memorial) and Legacy at Arts Quarter (more expensive brand new apartments on the west side).

metro
10-08-2007, 12:32 PM
Oh dear. Please don't be mranderson with the semantics.

What would you prefer I call an autobahn-style road with on/off-ramps and no intersections?

I understand, however keep in mind that the poster mentioned he is new, just joined the site, and is obviously not familiar with the area, so inaccurately telling him it is next to the interstate could be a big deal. If it were you and I talking and we're both familiar with the area, it would be no big deal, but this poster as mentioned is obviously not, so I think I did no harm in accurately correcting you in stating it is not next to an interstate, the nearest interstate is several miles away. You obviously knew the poster was new and not familiar with at least parts of OKC or you wouldn't explain things in the way you did above.

I agree with you above in that the 5th avenue lofts are better located, don't know if you've ever been inside and have seen a unit though, they are dog ugly and not laid out very good. Heck, the owner uses a bright teal green for the wood color and trim. It doesn't match anything. He won't let his tenants paint it a neutral color at their own expense either. The Garage lofts however, are true urban lofts and much better layout and feel, they are just further away from the action than 5th, however they are close to the ever rising MidTown.

Brazuka
10-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks Jbrown, i knew coming here was right. I needed the kind of feedback that you all are giving, i never heard of the Park Harvey untill now and they look pretty good, i was looking at lofts because i like how they look, feel, whatever, but i'm definally now set on a loft. i just wanted a good apartment, in an area that's fun, and reasonably safe. hehe i know i'm asking a lot of you all but it's always good to ask the questions before signing a lease for 1 year or 2...

Brazuka
10-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Yeah i like this place, thanks for the info. i appreciate the help. And Jbrown, tnx about the park harvey info. i was looking at lofts but i'm not set on it. i'm just looking for something that looks good, in a good location for some fun, dinning, you know, that kind of stuff. hmmm sorry about all the questions but i feel better by asking this now, intead of signing a lease without doing and research and ending up hating the place. thanks again

jbrown84
10-08-2007, 08:46 PM
No problem. That's what this board is for. Here's the website.

Home | Park Harvey (http://www.theparkharvey.com)

Also, another option is a plethora of historic apartment buildings in midtown and uptown. Most of them smaller 4 or 6-plexes, but one in particular--The Aberdeen--is more around 12 stories and is pretty close to Garage Lofts just off broadway in Midtown. The smaller ones are nearby there, as well as scattered around Midtown and uptown, particularly in the Paseo area (36th and Walker).

jbrown84
10-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Out of curiosity, where are you coming from, and where will you be working here?

metro
10-09-2007, 07:37 AM
Good question jbrown. And Brazuka, FYI be prepared to spend $1300 or more for a loft. The Park Harvey will set you back about $500-$700 or so on rent and I believe they pay some of your utilities there. There is also the Deep Deuce apartments. Deep Deuce (http://www.deepdeuce.com/) or the Legacy Summit at Arts Quarter apartments in the Art District. Legacy Communities (http://www.legacycommunities.com/find_arts.html), the Classen Home | theclassen (http://www.theclassenokc.com/) and many others downtown or near downtown.

Midtowner
10-09-2007, 07:54 AM
metro, when I checked out the Park Harvey, it was MUCH higher than that (but I was looking at 2-bedrooms). Also, with the Park Harvey, none of your parking is included. With Legacy Summit, you get ONE space included. Deep Deuce includes 2 cars.

I think with Legacy and Harvey, parking is around $125/month/car not included.

metro
10-09-2007, 07:59 AM
I'm pretty confident that Park Harvey has many units from $500(studio of course) to $755 (some 2 beds on lower floors). I think their max rent was less than $1000. They may have gone up though I don't see why as they have plenty of units left. Also I was told they have a discounted rate on parking at the Galleria parking garage across the street for like $90 a month.

jbrown84
10-09-2007, 08:24 AM
No, the Galleria garage is only $50 with the half off discount.

Metro's right about the rents. A 2-bed on the 17th floor probably maxes out around 1300. Also, utilities are a flat rate that really is a pretty good deal. For a studio it's $65 a month for water, gas, electric and you don't have to mess with extra bills.