View Full Version : A True American

JAFO
04-16-2006, 08:29 PM
It is time to change from REDNECK humor to TRUE AMERICAN Humor! Only I don't see it as Humor, but the correct way to LIVE YOUR LIFE !

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: It never occurred to you to be offended by the phrase, "One nation, under God."

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You've never protested about seeing the 10 Commandments posted in public places.

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You still say "Christmas" instead of "Winter Festival."

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You bow your head when someone prays.

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You stand and place your hand over your heart when they play the National Anthem.

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You treat Viet Nam vets with great respect, and always have.

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You've never burned an American flag.

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You know what you believe and you aren't afraid to say so, no matter who is listening.

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You respect your elders and expect your kids to do the same.

You might be a TRUE AMERICAN if: You'd give your last dollar to a friend.

God Bless the U S A !

Respectfully,
OKCSouthSider

mranderson
04-17-2006, 09:16 AM
If you are a man and remove your hat when inside a building, you might be a TRUE AMERICAN.

If you remove your hat when the national antham is playing or out of respect for a deceased person, you might be a TRUE AMERICAN.

If you do NOT applaud after the national antham is played at an event, you might be a TRUE AMERICAN.

If you show respect for your elders you might be a TRUE AMERICAN.

If you place your family ahead of your job, you might be a TRUE AMERICAN.

Uptown
04-17-2006, 09:19 AM
If you do NOT applaud after the national antham is played at an event, you might be a TRUE AMERICAN.

I don't understand this one. I applaud many times, not for the singer, but for the fact that I'm an American. I'm clapping for our country and the freedoms we enjoy here, and for the patriotism brought forth by our national anthem.

In addition, clapping does show respect for the singer that performed the anthem.

mranderson
04-17-2006, 09:22 AM
I don't understand this one. I applaud many times, not for the singer, but for the fact that I'm an American. I'm clapping for our country and the freedoms we enjoy here, and for the patriotism brought forth by our national anthem.

In addition, clapping does show respect for the singer that performed the anthem.

I was always taught it was disrespectful to applaud the national antham. That lesson came from a man who won ten medals including the Congressional Medal of Honor for Normandy (D-Day).

Uptown
04-17-2006, 09:41 AM
What drives me insane is when folks hang the American flag with the stars in the upper right corner. When looking at a vertical flag, the stars should be in the upper left corner.

"When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be
uppermost and to the flag's own right, that is, to the observer's left. "

crabby_cruiser
04-17-2006, 12:19 PM
By definition, I am a "TRUE AMERICAN" because I was born here, not because I allied myself with one particular narrow ideology.

The so-called definitions of a "TRUE AMERICAN" sound more like the professions of a "TRUE RELIGIOUS RIGHT AMERICAN."

Karried
04-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Oh my gosh, I've always applauded after the National Anthem ... the Ford center goes ballistic at all of the Hornet's games after the song - 19K plus people.

Wow, could all of us be wrong?

Maybe I'm not a true American.

I never thought about it, but IRS still comes to visit once a year, so perhaps I am after all.

floater
04-17-2006, 04:32 PM
Well, I qualify most of the time. So I consider myself to be a TRUE AMERICAN. And I pledge to cleanse America of all of its impurities, starting with the bordertowns, and then onto the latte-sipping, New York Times-reading, BMW-driving heathens in the cities!

JAFO
04-17-2006, 07:44 PM
By definition, I am a "TRUE AMERICAN" because I was born here, not because I allied myself with one particular narrow ideology.

The so-called definitions of a "TRUE AMERICAN" sound more like the professions of a "TRUE RELIGIOUS RIGHT AMERICAN."
Wow. You can sure throw a bunch of negatives in a thread, huh? I guess you think Christianity is narrow ideology? Well, you don't know what you are missing.

As far as applauding after the National Anthem, I have always done that. Then again, those around me were doing it too. Oh well, I am still a True American.

crabby_cruiser
04-18-2006, 05:43 AM
Christianity is not the narrow ideology. Certain fundamentalist interpretations of Christianity very much is.

The Founding Fathers did not have such a narrow definition of what it means to be a "true American." Those who like to judge others' patriotism based on their own narrow definition ("only those who agree with my beliefs could possible be a 'true American' ") are as un-American (based on the writings of our nation's leaders throughout its history) as anyone who doesn't say "Christmas" during the December holiday season.

floater
04-18-2006, 08:05 AM
SouthSider, I believe in or do most of those things. But to consider those who don't false Americans is just as unpatriotic. Only in America are differing viewpoints and faiths celebrated so well.

Uptown
04-18-2006, 10:19 AM
A True American serves his country when called upon. That would leave Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and other draft dodgers and folks that didn't serve their time out of the True American picture. Bill Clinton pulled the Canada trick, and GW ran to the Guard and didn't even fulfill his service there, reports showed later.

osupa05
04-18-2006, 11:34 AM
I still want to know why clapping after then National Anthem is un-patriotic. Did the veteran say why, or just say that is wasn't right?

MadMonk
04-18-2006, 12:30 PM
Duh! Because a decorated veteran said so! Everyone knows they are the final authority on things like that. :D

mranderson
04-18-2006, 01:35 PM
I still want to know why clapping after then National Anthem is un-patriotic. Did the veteran say why, or just say that is wasn't right?

He said it shows disrespect for the country and the flag. Enough said. The fact he is the most decorated living Oklahoma veteran alive today should be high enough authority.

Uptown
04-18-2006, 05:02 PM
He said it shows disrespect for the country and the flag. Enough said. The fact he is the most decorated living Oklahoma veteran alive today should be high enough authority.

Well I spoke with the most decorated living Texas veteran alive today and he thinks differently. He always claps after the anthem at the Rangers games. :D

osupa05
04-18-2006, 08:33 PM
I'm not disrespecting his authority. Many of the men in my family are veterans or have served in peace time, and I have relatives fighting right now. I'm grateful for all the military people, because they are the reason I have the freedoms that I do right now. It just seems odd that clapping after the playing of the national anthem... which is done in the olympics, as well as other places... would be considered disrespectful. Clapping in itself is a form of praise and excitement. I don't know how long ago "cheering" after the national anthem started, but I know many veterans who clap. I'm pretty sure that I've seen a president or two clap after hearing the national anthem... but don't quote me on that one.