View Full Version : Sundays ?

OklaCity_75
04-15-2006, 12:03 AM
Should anything be open on sundays, or should everything be closed?

In my own personal opinion I think everything should be closed on Sunday. Not necessarily for religous reasons but, just as day to hang out and relax, maybe spend some quality time with the ones you love.

I have never understood why we really need to be a 24/7 society. Sure emergency workers would have to work because of obvious reasons. The rest of though I think we could use a day off. Most businesses are already closed on Sundays so why shouldn't the rest of us enjoy the day.

We could get by 24 hours without going somewhere. Our ancestors did it for years so why should we?

sweetdaisy
04-15-2006, 07:17 AM
You only have 2 choices listed, so I won't vote on either. I don't think Sunday store hours should be the same as the rest of the week...I like the hours most stores currently have for Sundays. Open later, close earlier. However, I think it's ridiculous to have everything closed on Sundays. For many people, that's their only day off and they need to be able to do their errands.

Our ancestors didon't have the same types of lives that we do, so it's silly to bring them into the discussion.

Curt
04-15-2006, 08:30 AM
As much as I'd like to go back in time when things were simple I dont really think that now days buisnesses can be closed on Sudays.Sure some can, but alot of people that work six days a week only have Sundays to do there errands or some people that have to work two jobs cant work the second job during the week so they need the weekend for that.I guess it's like everything else, it has good points and bad points.

Midtowner
04-15-2006, 09:18 AM
For many people, that's their only day off and they need to be able to do their errands.

That's only because the stores are closed. If they were open, those same people would probably be manning them.

Our ancestors didon't have the same types of lives that we do, so it's silly to bring them into the discussion.

True, we've really transitioned away from the agrarian society. What we did 100 years ago is as relevant as what we did 500-1000 years ago.

sweetdaisy
04-15-2006, 09:43 AM
That's only because the stores are closed. If they were open, those same people would probably be manning them.

I disagree, Midtowner. Perhaps, if they work in a sweatshop where they have no days off this would be true. Most jobs are set up to where an employee has at least one day off each week (not necessarily Sunday). Granted, there are times when an employee must work 10-12 days in a row, but that's usually when they have asked off for a few days at a time.

Regardless, having stores open on Sundays makes sense due to our extremely busy lifestyles. It's unfortunate but necessary in today's society.

I respect the fact that several stores do close on Sundays, but I find it inconvenient many times. That's a day when I prefer to do my shopping.

Hee hee. I just thought of what Saturdays at the malls, grocery stores, etc. would be like if everything was closed on Sundays. UGH. I'd be shopping at midnight during the middle of the week! :tweeted:

JAFO
04-15-2006, 02:49 PM
As much as I'd like to go back in time when things were simple I dont really think that now days buisnesses can be closed on Sudays.Sure some can, but alot of people that work six days a week only have Sundays to do there errands or some people that have to work two jobs cant work the second job during the week so they need the weekend for that.I guess it's like everything else, it has good points and bad points.
There are some businesses that are closed on Sundays. I know that several family owned restaurants close on Sunday, and I also know that all Chik-Fil-A restaurants close on Sunday.

Life is busy, and as sweetdaisy said, it is hard to get everything done Mon. - Saturday. I don't particularly like to shop on a Sunday, because it was meant to be a day of rest, however, with many people, Sunday seems to be just another day.

Most stores will not open their doors until noon or 1 PM., and then they close at 5 or 6 PM. At least they do give their employees a chance to either rest or attend church services.

Uptown
04-15-2006, 02:54 PM
I think the change to a solid 7 day work week reflects a change in culture, and it isn't ncessarily a good one in my opinion, but there's nothing we can really do about it. I'd say the conversion of Sunday into a workday has been more due to greed, than to anything else. Many stores, restaurants, etc. have decided to open Sundays because it's simply another day they can make money, and lots of it, because many folks are off.

I've noticed also that more and more stores are open on various holidays now. The only day Wal-Mart is closed is Christmas Day, and I bet that will change eventually.

People wonder why society is so stressed out, compared to societies of yesterday. It's because we are putting too much pressure on ourselves. Sunday was created to be a day of rest for a reason. Our bodies aren't handling the added stress well.

OklaCity_75
04-15-2006, 06:19 PM
The only reason we have become a 24/7 society is because people just do not know how to use their time wisely.

People are more focused on catching the latest episode of American Idol instead of taking care necessary errands. I think we would be just fine if everything closed on Sundays. It would be stressful for many people in the beginning but once everyone adjusted, all would be okay.

I work in a job that has just changed operating hours from 11 to 6, then 11 to 7 and now 10 to 8 on Sundays. Before too long I expect our hours to be 10 to 10 everyday. To tell you the truth the only people we are catering to are those with nothing to do on a Sunday evening. They never buy anything. In fact, some have found it is a prime opportunity to steal from us.

On some nights, we have had to ask people to leave because they have no regard for closing time. I hate the fact some people are so self-centered they think the world runs on their time. People have lives outside their jobs, so that is why I never go to a business within an hour of closing time.

I think 24/7 hours have done nothing more than make us lazy and spoiled. The business world is just doing nothing more than taking advantage of the lazy people in the world.
If people were not so lazy we would not need to be a 24/7 society. With a little planning, we could all take Sunday off

JAFO
04-15-2006, 06:37 PM
The only reason we have become a 24/7 society is because people just do not know how to use their time wisely.

People are more focused on catching the latest episode of American Idol instead of taking care necessary errands. I think we would be just fine if everything closed on Sundays. It would be stressful for many people in the beginning but once everyone adjusted, all would be okay.

I work in a job that has just changed operating hours from 11 to 6, then 11 to 7 and now 10 to 8 on Sundays. Before too long I expect our hours to be 10 to 10 everyday. To tell you the truth the only people we are catering to are those with nothing to do on a Sunday evening. They never buy anything. In fact, some have found it is a prime opportunity to steal from us.

On some nights, we have had to ask people to leave because they have no regard for closing time. I hate the fact some people are so self-centered they think the world runs on their time. People have lives outside their jobs, so that is why I never go to a business within an hour of closing time.

I think 24/7 hours have done nothing more than make us lazy and spoiled. The business world is just doing nothing more than taking advantage of the lazy people in the world.
If people were not so lazy we would not need to be a 24/7 society. With a little planning, we could all take Sunday off
You are exactly right about being spoiled by the stores that are open 24/7. More and more of them are going to these hours. Late night is also the time when the stockers are re-stocking the shelves. I guess management figures if they are going to have to have all the lights on to stock, they might as well be open 24 hours.

You already mentioned a pet peeve of mine. That's when a store you are working at closes at 9 PM., and at 8:55 PM., a customer comes in to shop. When I was in retail, that happened frequently. Unfortunately, the manager of the store did not like to deter shoppers from shopping, so he would never announce that the store was closing in 5 minutes. If the customer wanted to shop for an hour, then they could.

Uptown
04-16-2006, 12:56 PM
Again, it's all about making those profits. Some corporations could care less about their employees. Heck, Wal-Mart doesn't even call their workers employees! THat's how they get around not paying benefits.

Midtowner
04-16-2006, 01:45 PM
If you don't like those corporations, don't buy from them.

Uptown
04-16-2006, 05:31 PM
I don't.

sweetdaisy
04-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Uptown, you don't shop at any stores that are open on Sundays? Where do you buy gas & groceries?

Uptown
04-16-2006, 07:53 PM
I shop at some of those stores, but only because there's no other choice. It's simply not necessary for a grocery store or any other retail store to be open 7 days a week, 24/7.

JAFO
04-16-2006, 08:01 PM
I shop at some of those stores, but only because there's no other choice. It's simply not necessary for a grocery store or any other retail store to be open 7 days a week, 24/7.
I travelled all over the place today, and didn't have to stop at any store for anything. I planned ahead so that I would not have to purchase anything today. I survived and did not do without anything, so it is possible.

Uptown
04-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Problem is we're a very selfish culture, and that involves our time as well as other things. We simply expect stores to be open at our convenience and when they're not, we get upset. Everyone needs a day of rest and it wouldn't hurt store owners, restaurants, etc. to close on Sundays. Greed stands in the way.

Mr. Green, owner of Hobby Lobby seems to do just fine financially and he's closed Sundays. I believe he's the 2nd richest man in the state. Same with Mart Green, owner of Mardel.

MadMonk
04-17-2006, 07:07 PM
Why (other than certain religious beliefs) does it have to be Sundays? Why not Mondays or Thursdays?

It may not be a necessity for some people to do any shopping on Sunday, but it seems I always have a regular Sunday visit to Home Depot. ;)

OklaCity_75
04-17-2006, 07:47 PM
I picked Sunday because most businesses are already closed on Sunday. Most of the mom and pop or locally owned businesses close on Sunday.

The only places that open are restaurants and chain stores. Monday-Friday would be impossible because everything is open and those days would be harder to change. Not to mention government business occurs on those days, it does not occur on Sundays.

As I said in my starter post, it has nothing to do with religion. It is just merely a suggestion.

I can think of many other things I would be doing other than goofing around a store somewhere.

I work in retail and very few people buy anything on Sundays unless it is on sale. I see more people killing time on Sunday then anything else. Mainly because there is nothing on TV and they cannot find anything better to do.

If I had Sundays off the last place I would be is in a retail store. I would sleep in, read the paper, go to the park, go for a drive, have a picnic lunch, visit my family the activities are endless.

The only reason why people shop or do business on Sunday's is that it is a habit. Habits can be broken and retrained.

What it boils down to is time management. Nobody is too busy to do anything. Your ability to get things done lies in your priorities. For instance, someone who does not have time to stand in line to pay his or her bills will conveniently find time to stand in a longer line to buy a lotto ticket.

The Bottom line is if you view a task, activity, or event as a priority you will make time for it. If you cannot do it on Sunday, you will do it on Saturday or Monday.

CaptainAmerica
04-25-2006, 11:35 AM
personally as to why sundays.... Becuase of the christian nuts, like me that would not goto work instead of a church service, or would not have the day that we try to remember the sabbath on be forced to work on. I think that most definently we need at least one day of seven where there is NOTHING we need to do, and i think that sunday is the most logical choice.

sweetdaisy
04-25-2006, 03:26 PM
There's a very simple solution to people complaining about working on Sundays...don't say you're available that day. In retail, you tell your boss your availability, and if you don't want to work on Sunday, then don't. On the other hand, there are people who are working 2 and 3 jobs who are more than happy to work on Sundays.

And, like OklaCity_75 said, most people are in the stores because they're bored, there's nothing on TV, whatever...but I don't see why that's a reason stores should be closed. why should people have to go home and stare at their walls just because an employee doesn't want to tell the manager they aren't available to work on Sunday? Sunday does tend to be a good "family day" and some people bond by going shopping. I think it's good that many stores are open that day, so people can get out with their families and window shop or whatever...at least they're spending time together.

CaptainAmerica
04-25-2006, 05:18 PM
there are times, regardless of what you told your manager, that you will be forced to work that day of the week. For example, my father did the same thing you said above, and yet was forced into working on sundays later into the year. As to having nothing to do, you can spend time with your family, you dont have to be window shopping to bond, you can do anything just as long as you are to gether.

sweetdaisy
04-25-2006, 05:54 PM
As to having nothing to do, you can spend time with your family, you dont have to be window shopping to bond, you can do anything just as long as you are to gether.

Different strokes for different folks. Some familes do their best bonding when they're shopping...it may be the only way they can relate.

However, some of the comments I see here are based on the assumption that a person has family that lives near them. Not everyone has family within reasonable driving distance.

The fact is, some people don't want to work on Sundays, which is fine. Then don't. And don't shop on Sundays if you don't want to. But there are many people who enjoy shopping (window shopping or actually making purchases) on Sundays and there's nothing wrong with it.

Something the stores currently do that I like is reduced hours on Sundays, so their employees have extra time away from work.

CaptainAmerica
04-25-2006, 06:07 PM
Thank you for bringing me back down to earth where everyone isnt a member of a close family.

shadow713
04-25-2006, 07:11 PM
ok heres what i think:

on the seventh day god created the earht it was the day of rest correct (assuming this was sunday) and this can be interpreted in many different ways. the bible doesnt exactly say how one should rest nor a precise definition.

people can rest in many ways it all deends on what they enjoy doing. some like to just literally sleep or sit around, while others may shop or do whatever they like that allows relaxation and makes you happy. stressful things are what i am omitting here as you are not at rest here. this can be a variable just like rest.

as for me anything but school is rest for me so i am happy with my sundays.

OklaCity_75
04-25-2006, 10:00 PM
The reality to working in places that are open seven days a week is that you have to be able to work anytime seven days a week.

You have to work weekends if you want a descent check. These days you will not be able to get a job at most retailers and restaurants if you cannot work Saturday and Sunday,

Your days off are rarely consecutive.

The Mon-Fri shifts have been scaled down to minimal staffing and your hours looks something like this.

Mon 10-7
Tues Off
Wed 12-9
Thurs Off
Friday 11-7
Sat 9-8
Sun 12-8

On one or more of your days off you are either running errands or doing chores. I rarely sleep in and I am a student. Therefore, my time requires creative planning.

All of you 9-5ers really have no clue about those of us who do work Sundays. I personally think that is why we are all as irritable as a society. We do not take enough time off. We always have to be doing something rather it is at the expense of our time or someone else’s.

Then again, most Americans these days are lazy and self-centered. We all think the world revolves around us and god forbid someone inconevience us while we inconvenience the world.

Who cares that someone has been working all day and most of the evening. The business has been open for practically 12 hours. We instead choose to walk in 5 minutes to close. We just had to watch TV all evening and catch that episode of Friends or Seinfeld for the umpteenth time. Then we get frustrated that the staff does not want spend another hour on the clock while we browse and buy nothing.

All stop my rant there... As you, can see I am fed up with my retail job I believe it is time to find something new.

My point is that 90% of Americans could use a little time management training. If you plan like I do you can get everything done and still have Sunday off. I have one day a week that I stay home and relax. Just see how I would get by. Once I pretended one my days off was a Sunday. I did not buy anything nor did go anywhere other than my sister's house for dinner. I slept in, read the paper, and washed my truck (at the self-serve wash) and finished the day playing basketball with my niece. It was a great day.

With a little planning, we can all take Sunday off. If we keep going the way were going soon even you 9 to 5'ers will be on a 7 day so called flexible schedule.

CaptainAmerica
04-26-2006, 06:18 AM
Very good arguement, my thoughts exactly.

sweetdaisy
04-26-2006, 09:45 AM
I don't know anyone who has a 9 - 5 job (That's a 7 hour workday) in a office/corporate setting. Most folks I know work at least from 8 - 6 (or 7 - 5, etc), and put in 9 or 10 hours days. The great thing about retail is you don't take your work home with you, whereas most folks I know that have an office job tend to work late or take their work home, etc. Anyone who thinks that a "weekday" career stops at 5 pm is sadly mistaken. Perhaps those people who have never worked an office job shouldn't be making assumptions about what does or doesn't happen in the corporate world.

Also, the assumption that folks who have weekday jobs don't know about retail and working Sundays is dead wrong. Many of us have worked retail (or fast food, or other jobs of the sort) and know what a pain it can be. Personally, I worked 2 jobs last year, one my "weekday" job, and the other was a part time - 30 hours a week, retail job. Evenings and weekends. If it wasn't for places being open on Sundays and late evenings, I would've never had food or been able to do any shopping.

In retail, you CAN request certain days of the week off. Expecting to have Saturday & Sunday off is a little unrealistic, however there are folks in many retail positions that work the same shift every weekday...because they've asked for it. Although, from what I've seen, if you want to be considered Full-Time and have benefits, you have to have an open schedule, which does suck.

I still like doing whatever and going wherever and shopping on Sundays if I want to. Not much will change my opinion on that.

Patrick
04-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Personally, I think 1 day off a week, a day of rest, is important for a person's overall sanity. It doesn't necessarily have to be Sunday. As far as I'm concerned, you can take your Sunday any day of the week. Most pastors are off Fri and Saturday, yet they work Sundays.

OklaCity_75
04-26-2006, 10:28 AM
What it comes down to is we all have our own preferences on this topic.

Realistically thinking, I think eventually Sundays off for everyone is soon to become a thing of the past.

It is only a matter of time before they repeal that old bluebook law of not selling cars on Sunday. As soon as that changes you can expect every other business will follow and be open weekday hours on Saturday and Sunday.

The only people who are safe are government workers.