View Full Version : Some buaffalo staying in downtown

Patrick
10-06-2004, 11:36 AM
I'm glad to see that several of the sponsors have decided to keep their buffalo in the downtown/Bricktown area. I'm disappointed to hear that some corporations though have chosen to move theirs to more private locations. I think the buffalo exhibit has been good for the downtown area.

-------------
"Parts of buffalo exhibit may stay in downtown

By Steve Lackmeyer
The Oklahoman

The herd may be thinning, but sponsors of the popular "Spirit of the Buffalo" said some of the statues that have graced downtown Oklahoma City will remain for years to come.
Sponsors of the exhibit celebrated the end of the program's successful run Tuesday night, with some getting a final look of statues that provided smiles to many downtown visitors.

The buffaloes went up in May as part of a community art project benefiting the Nature Conservancy of Oklahoma, which maintains preserves across the state.

The statues, which prominent local and national artists decorated, were first put on display as a way to raise money and awareness for the group, but the buffaloes quickly became a favorite photo spot for visitors.

"It's just been a fever," said Bryan Bloom, the organization's philanthropy assistant. "People have fallen in love with these things. Once we began moving the first dozen out, people wanted to see more, and it just snowballed."

So far, at least a dozen sponsors have donated the statues for permanent display in downtown and Bricktown. Others have granted temporary extensions for the current display, while other sponsors are choosing to take back their statues for private display.

"I think we'll have a big handful staying on display," Bloom said. "For how long, I don't know. It may be until the fever dies down or the buffalo, for appearance reasons, have to go indoors."

HOT ROD
10-07-2004, 06:53 PM
I agree Patrick.

We used to have PIGS scattered around Downtown Seattle. Although they did not fare well here, I think they were a great diversion; something to ponder. The problem was the pigs were just randomly placed, and the media did not really cover their story [or atleast i never heard anything about them]. After a few months, they were removed. When I heard about the OKC buffs, then I figured it must be similar to our PIGS.

But yes, it is great that OKC will keep some of the buffs.

Keith
10-07-2004, 07:55 PM
I remembered when I was working out at the state fair that some of the buffalos were just west of the safety center. The art work on these buffalos were amazing, so I am glad also, that they are at least keeping some of them in Bricktown/downtown.

Patrick
10-08-2004, 01:22 AM
Fortunately the media has covered the buffalo well around here. And also, they've been located in some highly traveled places....mainly, in Bricktown and around the convention center area downtown. I always see someone downtown taking their picture in front of one! They've because just about as popular as the Mickey Mantle and Johnny Bench statues in front of the Bricktown Ballpark! But they are fiberglass, so they'll have to be removed at some point! Too bad we couldn't have more permanent structures put in place. I think these buffalo show us something: there's definitely a need for more public art downtown, mostly in the form of sculptures. I think public art could go along ways to making our downtown area more attractive to the eye!