View Full Version : Slander

Todd
04-14-2006, 01:49 PM
What is the legal definition of slander and defamation of character and does the InterWest Realty post qualify?

http://www.okctalk.com/best-worst/6138-interwest-realty.html

I think the guys is blowing smoke.

Midtowner
04-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Depends -- there are lots of types of slander.

Generally speaking (very generally), there must be proof of actual damages as well as that whatever was said is false.

Patrick
04-14-2006, 01:57 PM
I hope he doesn't mind me posting this, but Midtowner sent me a great PM. Midtowner, if you have a problem with me posting this, please let me know and I'll be happy to remove it:

Originally Posted by Patrick
Any legal advice on the issue with Interwest Realty? metro posted a review of his recent experiences with a realtor there, and now he's threatening to sue OKCTalk for libel.

He has no case. Tell him to file his suit. He'll have to prove that the allegations by metro are both false and that due to those allegations, he has suffered a loss of business.

Since neither has happened, tell him that he's free to off his side of the incedent, but otherwise he should be aware that you know that he has absolutely no case whatsoever and that if he files a case against you that he knows is false, you'll not only have your lawyer hit him back for your attorney's fees, but you'll cross-claim for an abuse of process tort and ask for punitive damages.

(or just stick with an easier answer like -- "We don't respond to baseless threats, have your attorney get in touch with us if you're serious.")

Oh, and that's not legal advice. That's just how the situation would probably play out. I'd recommend you talk to a real attorney if you seriously think you need to.

Midtowner
04-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Patrick, that's not legal advice.

Seriously, if you think that he's going to file charges, get a real attorney.