View Full Version : South Shields Plaza

Martin
04-14-2006, 09:08 AM
This is the shopping center at I-240 & Shields that has been around for over 30 years. I've been racking my brain for the past few days trying to recall a useless piece of trivia...

So, here's my question: What store occupied the spot in the shopping center before Venture moved in? I think that the original tennant was Woolco, then I don't know who moved in. It's currently Burlington Coat Factory and before that it was Big K. For the life of me, I can't remember what it was before Venture. Thanks!

OklaCity_75
04-14-2006, 09:58 AM
J. Brannum

This was still a part of the Woolworth company just like Woolco.

J. Brannum was supposedly short for just brand names.

I know that center welll because my Grandparents used to eat at Furr's all the time. That was back in the days of ala carte pricing before they had a buffet. Everytime I would go to visit my grandparents they would take me to eat at Furr's. Afterwards, we would go to Woolco so I could pick out a new Hot Wheel.

I remember being disappointed when the name change happened. All they carried was clothes and no toys. We started going to TG&Y for my Hot Wheels after the name change but, it just was not the same because Woolco always had the cooler cars.

I still remember it like it was yesterday because my Grandparents have now passed on. I just hope one day I have grand kids I can create special memories for just as mine did for me.

Martin
04-14-2006, 10:19 AM
that is it!

thanks so much. my brother is visiting from out of state and over the last few days we've been trying to remember what that place was called. it's been killing us. we probably would have never figured it out.

for us, furr's was a regular stop for lunch on sundays. i can still vaguely remember that there used to be a small mall complete with founatin that we'd walk through before getting to the entrance of furr's. i don't remember actually shopping at brannum's too often... i guess we were more of a tg&y family, that place seemed so huge.

thanks again!