View Full Version : Filed your taxes?

Patrick
04-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Have you filed your taxes yet? Did you do it yourself? Have someone do it for you?

MadMonk
04-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Yep, did it myself back in Feb.

Karried
04-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Had someone do it for me..

Keith
04-12-2006, 03:27 PM
Had someone do it for me..
Mine was done in March by Avery Tax Service in south OKC. They have been doing our taxes for the last 8 or 9 years. Excellent service and very professional.

Midtowner
04-12-2006, 04:20 PM
Yep -- and I have a HUGE return on the way!

Should just about take care of my closing costs :)

windowphobe
04-12-2006, 04:56 PM
I did mine in early February. Online, yet.

Patrick
04-12-2006, 05:33 PM
I did mine back in early March....also had a big refund. Hoooray.

Midtowner
04-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Patrick -- deducting tuition is great, isn't it?

Patrick
04-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Patrick -- deducting tuition is great, isn't it?

It's absolutely awesome. Because of the deduction, we didn't pay anything in federal income taxes this year, so we got everything back that the wife paid in. Needless to say, we're going on a nice trip after my 2nd year of medical school and step 1 of my boards is complete.

obiekabie
04-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Do it myself. When you are single the taxes are not usually difficult. Already filed three months ago

Uptown
04-13-2006, 03:44 PM
This may sound weird, but I always complete my taxes in February. But, I always hold onto my 1040 until the night of April 15th, just for fun. Waiting in the lines and seeing the crazy people at the post office. Yeah, call me strange, but it's funny to watch some of those folks. I have a lot of money, so it's not like I'm in a hurry to get the refund back.

okiemom
04-14-2006, 06:39 AM
We turnd ours in to the acountant a few weeks ago and they're still not finshed with them. We'll be looking for someone new next year.

Keith
04-14-2006, 08:26 PM
We turnd ours in to the acountant a few weeks ago and they're still not finshed with them. We'll be looking for someone new next year.
Yeah, it sounds like your accountant has kept your taxes hostage for too long.

Midtowner
04-14-2006, 09:12 PM
It's absolutely awesome. Because of the deduction, we didn't pay anything in federal income taxes this year, so we got everything back that the wife paid in. Needless to say, we're going on a nice trip after my 2nd year of medical school and step 1 of my boards is complete.

Mine is going to wedding rings and closing costs.

sweetdaisy
04-15-2006, 09:53 AM
This may sound weird, but I always complete my taxes in February. But, I always hold onto my 1040 until the night of April 15th, just for fun. Waiting in the lines and seeing the crazy people at the post office. Yeah, call me strange, but it's funny to watch some of those folks.

I do the same thing, Uptown. I think it's a sickness. Finish taxes in early February and just hold them until mid-April. It gets a bit entertaining at the post office. :D

Curt
04-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Mailed mine in yesterday..had them done by my usual tax preparer and broke even pretty much...getting a refund from federal and owe $64.00 to the State of Michigan..not bad..

I am one of those people that always wait until the last minute

JAFO
04-15-2006, 02:30 PM
I do the same thing, Uptown. I think it's a sickness. Finish taxes in early February and just hold them until mid-April. It gets a bit entertaining at the post office. :D
Mine was real easy to figure. I did it all myself and received a nice refund from both state and federal. I'm still trying to decide how I want to spend it.

workman45
04-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Did mine online in Feb. and got a reasonable return.:kicking: Then late March I got a corrected W-2.:stars: So I've completed my 1040x, wrote out the check, and they go in the mail today.:surrender That's life.

JAFO
04-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Did mine online in Feb. and got a reasonable return.:kicking: Then late March I got a corrected W-2.:stars: So I've completed my 1040x, wrote out the check, and they go in the mail today.:surrender That's life.
Man, I hate writing checks to pay bills and so forth, but having to write a check to the government just plain sucks.

sweetdaisy
04-16-2006, 07:15 PM
This is the first year I've had to pay and it was crummy, even though it was a very small amount. Apparently, a person should reinvest their dividends instead of enjoying the quarterly check they send you.
:boff:

Uptown
04-16-2006, 08:47 PM

Absolutely. I do the same thing with Christmas shopping. Finish the Christmas shopping early, but still go to the malls the weekend before Christmas. I simply love seeing crowds make fools of themselves.

upisgr8
04-16-2006, 10:10 PM
This is the first year I've had to pay and it was crummy, even though it was a very small amount. Apparently, a person should reinvest their dividends instead of enjoying the quarterly check they send you.
:boff:
Way to go!! sweetdaisy, you should be happy you didn't give the government an intrest free loan this year, which is what the "Huge Refund", is an unnescessary overpayment of withholding.

The day after Easter, millions of Americans will render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's. As Monday, April 17 looms, Congress should be enacting tax relief, especially this election year. Instead, the GOP's tax-fighters languish, and cowardly treat tax reduction like it's bad. This is foolish and pathetic, particularly since tax cuts are doing what they should: propelling 17 consecutive quarters of economic expansion, cutting unemployment to 4.7 percent, and filling -- not draining -- the Treasury.

Uptown
04-16-2006, 10:42 PM
As Monday, April 17 looms, Congress should be enacting tax relief, especially this election year. Instead, the GOP's tax-fighters languish, and cowardly treat tax reduction like it's bad. This is foolish and pathetic, particularly since tax cuts are doing what they should: propelling 17 consecutive quarters of economic expansion, cutting unemployment to 4.7 percent, and filling -- not draining -- the Treasury.

I guess you could care less that our national debt is rising faster than at anytime in history. Oh well, it's your social security check that's going to pay for it. Too bad you won't be getting one when you retire. It will be going to pay the lovely national debt the GOP has created.

Uptown
04-16-2006, 10:42 PM
Duplicate. Delete.

upisgr8
04-16-2006, 11:23 PM
I guess you could care less that our national debt is rising faster than at anytime in history. Oh well, it's your social security check that's going to pay for it. Too bad you won't be getting one when you retire. It will be going to pay the lovely national debt the GOP has created.

I will be giving my S.S. check to charity or Las Vegas depending on my mood at the time because I will not be depending my retirement on any government handout. Consider facts regarding the deficit.

The trade deficit is not the cause of bad things, but the result of good things in our economy. It reflects an economy ripe with investment opportunities and flush with consumer confidence. America's economy has performed better in years in which the trade deficit rose compared to years in which it shrank. During years of rising deficits, the growth of real gross domestic product averaged 3.2 percent per year, compared to 2.3 percent during years of shrinking deficits. If trade deficits really are a drag on growth, why does the economy grow so much faster when the trade deficit is getting bigger?

Uptown
04-17-2006, 08:18 AM
I will be giving my S.S. check to charity or Las Vegas depending on my mood at the time because I will not be depending my retirement on any government handout. Consider facts regarding the deficit.

That's beside the point. The point is that you paid in your money, and the government is using YOUR money for its own expenses. In my opinion, that's stealing from the American public.

The trade deficit is not the cause of bad things, but the result of good things in our economy. It reflects an economy ripe with investment opportunities and flush with consumer confidence. America's economy has performed better in years in which the trade deficit rose compared to years in which it shrank. During years of rising deficits, the growth of real gross domestic product averaged 3.2 percent per year, compared to 2.3 percent during years of shrinking deficits. If trade deficits really are a drag on growth, why does the economy grow so much faster when the trade deficit is getting bigger?

The American economy and the trade deficit are really separate issues. The American economy runs at the will of corporate America, and really has nothing to do with trade deficits and the like. In my opinion, the government itself has little influence over the American economy.

On the other hand, the government's sign of fiscal irresponsibility will affect American's pocket books in years to come. It will indeed be the American taxpayer that will have to foot the bill for the existing deficit we have now. It will be your children (if you have any) that will be slaving and paying for the expenses of today. Do you think living on credit is wise? I don't think so.

By the way, I never said trade deficits were a drag on growth.