View Full Version : Cancer

Karried
04-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Has anyone had any personal stories or diagnosis of cancer? Any relative close to you that has been diagnosed? Survived? Didn't survive?

Any experience with Cancer Centers who specialize in different treatments?

My mom had uterine pre-cancerous cells, she had a hysterectomy and all is well but I wonder if this means I will have a much better chance of getting it as well?

My best friend's dad had liver cancer and died within 6 months of diagnosis - 55 years old.

My neighbor across the street died this year from breast cancer and that left two high school boys without a mom.. I hate cancer.

Finding myself with horrible health care coverage I know I'm not doing all I can do to get the preventative checkups that might detect early cancer... so I'm a little worried about it.. I don't smoke and I've changed my diet to include lots and lots of vegetables and fruits and I'm trying to stick with that for the rest of my life. But cancer is scary.

Are there any medical schools or facilities that offer free or low cost cancer screening or mammograms?

mranderson
04-07-2006, 05:54 PM
Over half my family have died from various forms of cancer. Plus some friends.

My Grandmother and one of my aunts died from Non Hodgkins Lymphoma Carsonaoma. My other aunts who died from cancer were lung cancer, as was my uncle. Others died from other forms.

My mom had Melonoma, and survived.

It is all scarey.

bandnerd
04-08-2006, 07:29 AM
My dad was diagnosed three times with three different kinds of cancer. The last diagnosis was liver cancer, a very rare form of it, but because he was so weak after the other two rounds of cancer, they had to perform this weird, sci-fi "radio wave ablasion" maneuver on it. The concept is they put a needle in you, it shoots out little legs and emits radio waves that "burn" cancer cells.

It must have worked pretty well. That was about a year ago and he's still with us. Not well, but still with us.

His brother died of a very agressive cancer when I was 12. Other than that, I've not lost anyone else to this disease. But you can bet I have taken out the extra cancer coverage for myself when I was given that opportunity at my new job!

Patrick
04-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Mr grandma just died from rectal cancer two weeks ago.

MadMonk
04-09-2006, 08:32 PM
My Aunt died of lymph-node cancer a few years back and my father-in-law was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a couple years ago. Fortunately, he was diagnosed early and with aggressive treatment is now cancer-free. It was really scary because apparently pancreatic cancer has a really high death rate.

bandnerd
04-22-2006, 01:24 PM
Recently I have learned that my father has a brain tumor. The doctors assumed it was non-hodgkin's lymphoma because that was what his liver cancer was last year, but they aren't sure. They gave him medication to reduce the swelling (the tumor is situated to where his memory is being affected) but it didn't work, and they are beginning 4 full weeks of daily radiation.

You can bet I have taken extra cancer coverage on myself already, even though I am only 25.

Also, with my wedding about 6 weeks away, I'm afraid my father won't be able to make it after so much radiation. Maybe Patrick has some advice?

Patrick
04-22-2006, 01:41 PM
Recently I have learned that my father has a brain tumor. The doctors assumed it was non-hodgkin's lymphoma because that was what his liver cancer was last year, but they aren't sure. They gave him medication to reduce the swelling (the tumor is situated to where his memory is being affected) but it didn't work, and they are beginning 4 full weeks of daily radiation.

You can bet I have taken extra cancer coverage on myself already, even though I am only 25.

Also, with my wedding about 6 weeks away, I'm afraid my father won't be able to make it after so much radiation. Maybe Patrick has some advice?

It's hard to say at this point. Obviously his prognosis is quite poor, noting the metastases to the brain. I'd say Stage 4 non-hodgkins at this point, especially since it has involved the liver.

I would guess at this point, radiation wouldn't be the best option since it has spread. I'm sure they've moved on to chemo.

Whether he'll be around 6 weeks from now? Well, I'm not going to play God there. I'd want to say his 6 month prognosis is probably pretty poor.

I'm extremely sorry to hear about this bandnerd and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

bandnerd
04-22-2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks, Patrick.

I had braced myself as soon as I was engaged to the possiblity of my dad not being there for the wedding. They are doing the radiation, at least that was the last I heard yesterday. He doesn't live up here, he's about 2 hours away, and both my sister and I feel we are not able to do anything, so we are kind of purposefully staying a little in the dark. We've seen him go through so much, it's almost cruel to put him through all the suffering of chemo and radiation. Especially because he wouldn't really understand right now why he is sick since he's mentally stuck in a different time.

Anyway, I ramble on. They seemed to think the tumor could have been growing for up to 5 months. Which would mean that it started growing right after he finished the chemo for the liver cancer back in the fall. It's obvious, at least to me, that his body wants to be done, but the doctors won't let it go. They'd rather have their "miracle man," as one of them called him, than help ease his suffering.

Karried
04-22-2006, 06:49 PM
Bandnerd,

I'm so sorry to hear of your dad. It's such a shame that this is happening so near to what should be a very happy time in your life. I hope you can separate the two and enjoy your wedding.

I also hope you get some good news and maybe he can be at the wedding .. prayers and best wishes coming your way.

Take care, Karrie

Keith
04-23-2006, 12:10 PM

Wow, what a tough situation. You are about to celebrate one of the most happiest moments in your life, and then this news comes up. I am sorry this is happening to you.

I know you have a lot of things on your mind right now, and I sincerely pray that your dad will be alright, and that he will be able to walk you down the aisle (if that is what you have planned).

bandnerd
04-23-2006, 12:13 PM
I had planned to have him walk me, but if it's not possible, my uncle will walk me. My sister had the same plan 3 1/2 years ago when she got married. Dad had had his first round of cancer by that time and was pretty out of it. He disappeared during photos before the wedding. When he came back 1.5 hours later he said he'd gone to get something to eat. Mom was not happy with that.

We pick up and we move on. Dwelling on it isn't doing anything for me but causing sadness. My mom told me many months ago that it was okay for me to be happy amongst all the sad stuff (during their divorce) because I felt like I shouldn't be happy. It's hard, but possible. I just focus on getting my job done at school, getting my invites out, and having some personal free time!