View Full Version : Best apartments in downtown?

darkangelism
04-06-2006, 05:05 PM
I receently got a job in oklahoma city and was wondering what the best apartments in downtown are, i want to be able to be near the nightlife and be able to walk to places, so i want to be within say a mile and a half of bricktown. I was looking at sycamore square and the Regency.

ptwobjb
04-06-2006, 07:33 PM
When are you moving here?

darkangelism
04-06-2006, 09:38 PM
I am trying to get a place by early june...my parents live in edmond, so if i cant find a place i can stay with them, i just got out of school and im not really wanting to go back and live with them.

Also what are some good bars and placees to go?

Patrick
04-06-2006, 10:47 PM
I'd personally stay away from Regency. Nice views, but a very old building and bums are always outside waiting to ask you for money.

Sycamore Square is nice, but it's in the Art District, and not really in the middle of Night Life.

I'd have to say Deep Deuce would be your best bet. It's the closest to the Night Life in Bricktown.

Midtowner
04-06-2006, 11:17 PM
I live in Sycamore. I'd recommend it to anyone. It's owned by a company that has several OKC properties. They consider it their "premium" property and they treat their residents that way. Maintenance requests are handled same day, parking is great, etc.

I've heard bad things about Deep Deuce.

OklaCity_75
04-07-2006, 03:37 AM
From what I have heard Deep Deuce is nothing special.

I work with a guy that used to live there. He liked the idea at first of being near Bricktown and being walking distance to the ballpark. As time went on too many partying college kids and too many problems from the drunks roaming around from the bars in Bricktown.

In his words "If you like to party and you love being around drunks that are peeing and puking on everything.... go ahead move there. If you like peace and quiet stay away because you will not get any at Deep Deuce".

A girl I used to date lived in Regency. It was like college dorm. Everytime somebody got loud or slammed a door you heard it. Parking is a nightmare and that is only the beginning. About the only thing good about regency is the view.

Have you checked one of the loft buildings downtown. They can be pricey but, if you find a roomate they can be very affordable. I think they start in the $600 range.

There is one on 13th and Broadway and another around I want to say 6th and Broadway.

http://www.boyington.com/

http://www.garageloftokc.com/

http://www.okclofts.com/index.php

Midtowner
04-07-2006, 07:23 AM
Sycamore is $825 or higher.

bandnerd
04-07-2006, 08:37 AM
I second the notion on Sycamore Square South. Very nice, the grounds are very green, and they are very good with maintenence. My old apartment complex in Edmond was TERRIBLE with all of these things. Plus you get a covered parking space. If there are two cars, though, one has to be left uncovered because there aren't enough covered spaces for that.

They were built in the 70's, and they look like it, but it's kind of kitchy-cool. Wetbars and fireplaces. Also, the interior is not white, like so many apartments...it's a nice neutral light taupe.

I haven't ever been to Deep Deuce, but why live right under broadway extension?

Sycamore Square isn't right in the middle of the nightlife, but it is across the street from the Civic Center (performances) just down the street from the Art museum and museum cafe, and is within walking distance to the new busstaion, trolley stops, downtown restaurants, banks, and businesses.

$825/mo is not bad. I was paying around $700/mo for 870 sq. ft. 2bed/2bath and now it's 1254 for a 2bed/2bath with a small bonus room.

Hope this helps!

BDP
04-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Is Park-Harvey still opening in Sept.? That might be cool for a recent grad, especially if you work downtown. You could easily walk to the Arts district and to Bricktown. You'd barely even need a car.

ksearls
04-07-2006, 09:46 AM
You might visit downtownokc.com and check out the Downtown Living link. It lists the apartments and links to their websites and contact info. If you wait a few months, you could get a brand-new place! Park Harvey is really coming along from what I understand.

Kim

darkangelism
04-07-2006, 10:27 AM
i am liking the sound of sycamore square, it seems nice from the pictures and everything. It is close enough to bricktown that if i wanted to walk i could(i used to live in manhatten, so walking a mile or 2 isnt that strange to me), but it would be fine to drive also, plus it wont have the noise issues of living right in bricktown.

thanks for the responses.

metro
04-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Yeah your options are going to be limited right now. Demand is outpacing supply currently. Be prepared to shell out bigger bucks than you will elsewhere in town. At least $700 a month as much as several thousand a month. Deep Deuce apartments sound like they might be your best bet but that is all they are, apartments. If your wanting a hip more urban style feel of a loft or dwelling with partially exposed elements, your going to pay over $100. Park Harvey would be an awesome place to land if you can wait until September when it opens.

Midtowner
04-07-2006, 02:06 PM
I've been watching Park Harvey come together -- drive by several times a day. Where is the parking going to be?

BDP
04-07-2006, 02:19 PM
Where is the parking going to be?

They just built an ass load of parking across the street.

writerranger
04-07-2006, 05:37 PM
You might visit downtownokc.com and check out the Downtown Living link. It lists the apartments and links to their websites and contact info. If you wait a few months, you could get a brand-new place! Park Harvey is really coming along from what I understand.
Kim

Interesting. Downtownokc.com left Sycamore Square off their list. Several unbuilt properties - but no Sycamore.

I have never seen the inside of a Sycamore Square unit. Do they have a website?

Midtowner
04-07-2006, 07:05 PM
Write -- not that I'm aware of. I'm surprised that Sycamore didn't make the list.

It was originally intended to be a condo complex, but it's an apartment complex instead. I enjoy it.

Midtowner
04-07-2006, 07:12 PM
you should pray about it and see where god wants you to live and work.

Are you serious?

We should seriously do a poll on which apartment complex God would live in.

HFK
04-07-2006, 09:23 PM
Are you serious?

We should seriously do a poll on which apartment complex God would live in.

That's a bit harsh, don't you think?

Midtowner
04-07-2006, 10:17 PM
That's a bit harsh, don't you think?

No, don't you think God has a preference in apartment complexes?

darkangelism
04-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Is the Aberdeen anyy good? its slightly farther away, but a lt cheaper.

Midtowner
04-08-2006, 09:41 PM
We toured the Aberdeen. Actually, it seemed more expensive. On the other hand, they tend to cover more utilities. Their units and rates vary greatly. They have units in the tower which are tough to get into, they also have two other types of units.

The management seemed very friendly, and their units were fairly nice.

OklaCity_75
04-08-2006, 11:45 PM
I am not sure the management is the best. I think it took two of the TV stations here in the city to get the air conditoners back on last summer.

I remember the tenants were complaining they were with out a/c for almost two weeks.

That can really be a problem here in the city. Especially when the heat breaks 100.

Unless you have your heart set on downtown. You could opt to live in one of the complexes up here on Memorial. I would recommend mine but, we are at capacity.

I am on waiting list now for a larger unit. Downtown is 10-15 min via Kilpatrick and Broadway Extension/235. Traffic is a pain during rush hour sometimes but, at least you will be near shopping and services.

From what I understand living downtown is a pain because you have to drive a little ways for your shopping.

Some of our board members live down there. They might be willing to share some secret places with you if you ask them nicely.

Midtowner
04-09-2006, 12:48 AM
OklaCity,

It's not that far for shopping. The shopping complex at I-40 and Macarthur isn't too far away.

Otherwise, I didn't know that about Aberdeen. At Sycamore, we generally have maintenance requests handled the same day or the next day.

Urban Pioneer
04-10-2006, 08:11 PM
I live in Deep Deuce. I am one of the original 15 people who moved in five years ago. It is okay. I like my apartment and the neighbors are quite friendly. They're are 300 units separated into horse shoe blocks. The "party/frat boy" atmosphere is based entirely on which neighbors you have. My block is somewhat quiet with the youngest being about 22 and the oldest about 55 in the shoe. The key to getting a nice space is being on the third floor so that all of the noise is below you and you eliminate a great deal of the thudding doors, raucous people, and sidewalk commotion. Our building has a get together at least every other month and it is an enjoyable experience. Do people on this blog get together? I would consider hosting a party. Send me an e-mail if this is of any interest to you. We can use our user names.

Keith
09-02-2006, 02:57 PM
How about the apartments to the east of Sycamore Square? Of course, you will have to wait until the construction is complete.

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/New_Apts_next_to_Sycamore_Square_005.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/New_Apts_next_to_Sycamore_Square_004.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/New_Apts_next_to_Sycamore_Square_003.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/New_Apts_next_to_Sycamore_Square_002.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/gallery/data/500/medium/New_Apts_next_to_Sycamore_Square_001.jpg

shane453
09-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Banta will probably have several apartment buildings restored and ready for move-ins by next summer in Midtown. Would maybe be about half a mile to Bricktown, but very close to the promising Plaza Court area.