View Full Version : Oklahoma City's expansion...

AFCM
04-05-2006, 02:49 PM
I've mentioned before that I'm a native of Mustang and congnizant of the growth happening in and around my hometown. The last time I was home it appeared they were making a large stretch of highway just outside Mustang and it looked like it would connect the with HW 152. Now, the reason I'm posting this in the OKC forum is because the projects I noticed were in OKC. I also noticed a lot more building in between Yukon/Mustang but I was wondering in any of you knew what was to be expected for that area.

There is a lot of land available but I'm wondering if there was a need to grow in that direction. Mustang and Yukon, although considered in the OKC Metro, seem like far away communities when compared to cities like Moore, Midwest City, etc. If you don't know OKC, you wouldn't know where it ends and Midwest City begins. This is not the same for the Canadian County area. Simply drive out west on I-40 and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Do any of you know the future of those areas? I personally liked the country side look and don't really favor the structural growth, but at the same time I'm amazed at how fast paced the development has become.

Thanks for your time and responses.

metro
04-05-2006, 05:15 PM
AFCM, I think your best bet is to get involved with the Southwest Sector plan. It is a agency of government working on the future development of the area you are talking about. I'm not familiar with the highway project specifically but know this is the organization you can find out from or get involved with regarding the area you described. You could probably call the city of OKC office and tell them your calling about the Southwest Sector taskforce.

OKCNDN
04-05-2006, 05:45 PM
There is a business going up at the southeast corner of Garth Brooks and NW 10th, right south of the Lowe's/Kohl's location, about 150 yards back from the road. It's not a retail but I think it might some sort of manufacturing place. Not a plant with smoke stacks, etc., but more of an assembly place. Either that or someone told me it might be an adult center or something along those lines. It is being built right now, still being framed. It looks like it will be a metal building, if I recall correctly.

There are also numerous apartment buildings and housing developments being built further south. That area is being built up and built up rapidly. But I am afraid that they aren't saving any space/purchasing right-of-way to expand the road. That will be a very crowded and dangerous road in the morning commute. They did do the right thing and expand Mustang Road before too much was built next to the road.

metro
04-06-2006, 12:32 PM
OKCNDN, I posted on that area a few weeks ago. If you drive by you'll see a development sign. It's basically phase 2 of the Lowe's, Kohl's chili, (that whole retail center). It's phase 2 adding additional retail, commercial, and restaurant space.