View Full Version : Farmer's Public Market: is it a joke??

Patrick
10-05-2004, 11:23 PM
I was down at the Wal-Mart on MacArthur and Reno just a few weeks ago. I saw a whole bunch of guys loading their pickup up with discounted produce from Wal-Mart. Looked like they bought half the store. Anyways, I was curious where they were taking all of that produce to. I decided to follow them aways jsut to see where the produce was going. Low and behold, they stopped at their booth at Farmer's Public Market, and started unloading their produce so they could sell it for a much higher price to people thinking they were getting fresh produce straight from the farm! Hmmmm.....so much for the reputation of our very own, Farmer's Public Market.

Keith
10-06-2004, 06:07 AM
I'm assuming that is legal to do. Kind of like these vietnamese people that own these convenient stores, and go to a store with a huge sale on pop, and then they take it back to their store to sell it for a huge profit.

One day, Target had an excellent sale on Coke and DP, and there was no limit. I watched a vietnamese man buy an entire pallet of Coke and unload it in the back of his pick up. I knew exactly what he was doing. To me, it isn't right, however, it is free enterprise.

I haven't ever shopped at the Framer's Market, and this gives me a good reason not to.

Joe Schmoe
10-06-2004, 08:02 AM
Wow, what a disappointing scam! If the produce was discounted, was that stuff not fresh enough to remain in Wall-Mart?

eeeww

As far as reselling items, I don't see a problem with that. Buy cheap & mark it up, is where a merchant's profit comes from. If they but cheap retail, The government comes out ahead, because sales tax is paid on an item twice.

Other than that, if their retail price is okay, then its okay by me that they resale.

Patrick
10-06-2004, 10:33 AM
I think the key concern is that people buy goods from Farmer's Public Market, specifically because they think its being sold by the so-called farmers that grew it. A Farmer's Market is supposed to be a place where local farmers go to sell "their" goods.

Sure, I don't question the practice that was done here because it is free enterprise, but I just question the reputation of Farmer's Market now. If you're not getting what Farmer's Market is supposedly claiming to have (namely, produce from local farmers, not from a huge grocery chain), then in my opinion, you're getting gypped.