View Full Version : 63rd and NW Expressway

wolf2006
04-04-2006, 07:50 PM
I heard that the businesses in that old strip mall by the abandoned $1 movie theater on 63rd and NW Expressway are moving into a new strip mall at 63rd and MacArthur. Supposedly the old movie theater is set to be cleared for some chain store. Does anybody here know what might be going in there?

OklaCity_75
04-04-2006, 10:46 PM
I am trying to figure out where they would place a new strip mall on 63rd and Macarthur.

Most of the real estate in that area is occupied and what little bit is open is only big enough to hold a gas station or a quick stop type store.

Maybe Warr Acres has a plan to revamp the old Homeland/ Draper's shopping center.

Who knows if its true I am sure Warr Acres will be running to the media about it eventually.

The only real retail development I have heard about is the old Toyota dealership is up for sale.

Warr Acres hopes they can sell the land and teardown the dealership. There is roughly about 10-25 acres of open land back behind the dealership that would be perfect for a new strip center.

Patrick
04-05-2006, 12:34 AM
I am trying to figure out where they would place a new strip mall on 63rd and Macarthur.

Most of the real estate in that area is occupied and what little bit is open is only big enough to hold a gas station or a quick stop type store.

Maybe Warr Acres has a plan to revamp the old Homeland/ Draper's shopping center.

Who knows if its true I am sure Warr Acres will be running to the media about it eventually.

The only real retail development I have heard about is the old Toyota dealership is up for sale.

Warr Acres hopes they can sell the land and teardown the dealership. There is roughly about 10-25 acres of open land back behind the dealership that would be perfect for a new strip center.

Doesn't Gene Warr's son own that? The property behind theToyota dealership? I forget his name, but he's taken everything over from daddy, and seems to be doing a fine job managing it. Better than ole Gene IMO. He's actually maintaining Mayfair Village....putting up new stucco here and there.

wolf2006
04-05-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure if the Warr family owns that property or not. I do know that they own the old Wal-mart at NW Expressway/MacArthur, and they own a strip mall at 50th/MacArthur, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if they own more; they pretty much own the town.

Also, the businesses that have vacated the strip mall at 63rd and NW Expressway have moved into an existing strip mall at near 63rd and MacArthur next to the Wonder Bread Outlet Store on the southeast side of that intersection. I'm not sure, though, what exactly they're planning to do with the old strip mall on NW Expressway.

metro
04-05-2006, 05:17 PM
I have some info about what might move into the old movie theater but I'm not at liberty to speak about it yet.

writerranger
04-05-2006, 11:09 PM
I have some info about what might move into the old movie theater but I'm not at liberty to speak about it yet.
Was that worth a post? Or, did you just want us to know you know?

HFK
04-05-2006, 11:18 PM
I remember when that theater opened: it was a nice, clean place, and just $1 admission. It seemed fine for years but eventually hit the skids really hard. Shame.

As far as Metro's post, maybe he's just telling us to stay tuned, eh?

Patrick
04-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Can anyone say Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market?

Just wanting to make sure everyone is awake. Really I have no clue what's going in there.

Pete
04-06-2006, 07:29 AM
Maybe a Kohls?

Few are probably old enough to remember the old Lakeshore Mall with Butterfield Overland Express (a restaurant and popular night spot) and then later, Jokers.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/butterfields1.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/res17zef/jokers1.jpg

Patrick
04-06-2006, 09:36 AM
There's already a Kohl's on NW Expressway, so I doubt it. What about Marshall's or one of the other stores on the south side that don't have a presence on the north side? Or a store on Memorial that doesn't have a presence on NW Expressway.

HOT ROD
04-06-2006, 09:56 AM
I hope it is something that OKC doesnt already have. Getting diversity in the market will only ensure that OKC becomes more appealing to upscale retailers (esp downtown). It proves that there is a market in the city and that it could support a retail expansion in upscale.

So what are the "mainline" chains that OKC does not have? Mervyns, Hechts, and the like??? Anyways, that is what I'd like to see. Im not really much of a fan for so many locations of a national chain in the city. I'd rather see more variety of stores for your shopping dollar (ie: see OKC's restaurant model)!

thevacman
04-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Belk?

John
04-06-2006, 01:15 PM
I remember when that theater opened: it was a nice, clean place, and just $1 admission. It seemed fine for years but eventually hit the skids really hard. Shame.

As far as Metro's post, maybe he's just telling us to stay tuned, eh?

I always thought the glass blocks with the red and blue neon lights was cool and space-y. I went to many a movie there...

MadMonk
04-06-2006, 09:23 PM
I always thought the glass blocks with the red and blue neon lights was cool and space-y. I went to many a movie there...
Same here. It was great when it first opened, then it starte to fall into disrepair and a bad crowd started hanging out there.

metro
04-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Belk if I'm not mistaken is the same line of stores as Foley's which we already have, which are turning into Macy's later this year.

All I can say is that if the info I have stays correct, it will be something that OKC does not have, it will be a private business and not a store or restaurant, it will be very unique but would like to see it located elsewhere