View Full Version : Any hope for a comedy club in Bricktown?

AFCM
04-04-2006, 11:39 AM
I haven't been home in quite a while so forgive me if one's already in place...I'm a little behind the power-curve. Anyways, if Bricktown doesn't have a comedy club I certainly think it would be a great addition. It would be another facet of entertainment and would lift everyone's spirits. How many bars and restaurants does Bricktown really need? In a sense, a comedy club is like a bar, but with better bar jokes. I think one would be a nice addition and a great draw. Your thoughts?

John
04-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Bricktown Jokers had a nice little run, but left their Bricktown location a few years back.

With the right people and right location, one could be successful.

BDP
04-04-2006, 03:21 PM
I don't think stand up is very hot right now. It goes in cycles. Also, comedy can be the edgiest and most brutally honest of modern performing arts. Is OKC a good market for that?

jbrown84
04-04-2006, 03:56 PM
I went to the one out at Rockwell and NW Highway a few months back and it was sold out. Pretty big room too. You had to get reservations. I'd go more if there was one in Bricktown. That other one is just SO far out there and it's just in a strip mall. Not a very exciting location.

BDP
04-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Was it a known talent, jb?

jbrown84
04-05-2006, 01:16 PM
No, it was three different unknowns. A woman and two men.

AFCM
04-05-2006, 02:36 PM
I personally think a comedy club would be a perfect fit in downtown OKC and I think it would do well. People are heading to Bricktown in record numbers and they're all looking for a good time. Everyone loves a good laugh and a comedy club makes for a perfect date or night out from my experience.

Stand up comedy is sometimes edgy but every comedy club I've ever been to is restricted to adults 21 and over. Grown adults getting a laugh out of potty humor is better than a bunch of 15 years olds going to see some rapper abuse racial slurs, promote violence, and degrade women all while making our youth's vocabulary subject to words like "shawty, grillz, bownce, jiggy, and foshizzle".

Atleast we can restrict who is exposed to what in a comedy club. Back to the nature of such, I think it's a good idea and a good investment for anyone willing to try.

BDP
04-05-2006, 03:38 PM
I didn't mean potty humor, per se, but.... OK.

metro
04-05-2006, 05:20 PM
For some reason the comedy clubs have done better in the suburbs, just like the one on Rockwell and NW Expressway. It sells out almost every night and even had that Dave guy (not Chappel) from Comedy Central not too long ago. I guess more suburbanites and an older crowd patronize these clubs more frequently and don't like the hassle of downtown. Seems alot of comedy clubs in DFW seem to be the same way.

John
04-05-2006, 09:51 PM
For some reason the comedy clubs have done better in the suburbs, just like the one on Rockwell and NW Expressway. It sells out almost every night and even had that Dave guy (not Chappel) from Comedy Central not too long ago. I guess more suburbanites and an older crowd patronize these clubs more frequently and don't like the hassle of downtown. Seems alot of comedy clubs in DFW seem to be the same way.

Dave Attell from Insomniac...

bandnerd
04-06-2006, 08:09 AM
I've always had a blast whenever I've gone to the Looney Bin (the place on NWEx. and Rockwell) The only problem was the smoke...my eyes would be literally burning by the end of the evening.

My favorite line from one of the guys, and this was the guy who introduced all the others:

"I left Oklahoma for awhile and everything got all screwed up! I checked the weather and they said "Partly cloudy with a chance of flammable."

Haha.

I'd love to see a comedy club in Bricktown if ample parking was supplied. I guess there is always the garage but I enjoy free parking as well.

HOT ROD
04-06-2006, 09:15 AM
I'd love to see a comedy club in Bricktown if ample parking was supplied. I guess there is always the garage but I enjoy free parking as well.

Dont count on that. Its downtown.

that is the whole problem and thing that must change, when going downtown expect to pay for parking (or that "free" parking will be extremely limited).

You could of course show up downtown just after the parking meter collection period expires, but would it be right in front of the club? probably not.

People just have to try to get used to the ambiance of downtown, which means tons of venues/attractions in a very small area. That means parking has to be built up (just like the rest of downtown) in "highrise lots - aka garages." :congrats:

Back to topic:

I think a comedy club is needed downtown. It does not have to be Bricktown, AA or Flatiron/Triangle could also support it. It could serve as an incubator for another area of downtown and for a while take advantage of the fields and lots allowing patrons to park there. With maturity, the patrons will continue to visit once the fields and lots disappear (replaced with buildings, towers, and garages).

bandnerd
04-06-2006, 09:32 AM
I live downtown, I understand the parking issue. I don't mind walking, and I often walk from my apartment to Bricktown or to areas downtown. It's almost a mile. But there will be a lot of people who don't like going to Bricktown because of the parking issue. Garages would be great. If they are going to add venues that hold a lot of people, like a large comedy club, then there would have to be more parking for it.

I'd love to see another comedy club in OKC in general. I'm willing to drive wherever for a good time. It gets hard to get into the Looney Bin sometimes. It also might give us the opportunity to have more big-name comics come to OKC.

Karried
04-07-2006, 07:40 AM
Do you notice that on the nights that the Hornets are playing the cost has risen to 10 bucks? It used to be $5 and then $8, now it's $10 in some lots! I like the garage closest to the Ford Center = $6 covered parking.. but that fills up quickly.

I wonder if they couldn't regulate the lots somewhat so people don't feel like they are getting shafted? Probably not, since they are most likely privately owned or leased. At least I think they are - are they?

bandnerd
04-07-2006, 08:30 AM
Or bring back validated parking. I think Tapwerks or Abuelo's used to have validated parking and that helped.

escan
04-07-2006, 10:03 AM
I don't understand what you're talking about...Mamasblindgirl. You seem to turn everything around to a WWJD discussion.

I enjoy bars...I enjoy adult beverages and think God probably has bigger things to think about (like starvation in Africa) than whether or not I set foot in a bar.

Just my opinion.

Now....Back to Topic......

I think a comedy club with quality acts might be able to do quite well in downtown. Hopefully, we'll get the chance to see!

John
04-07-2006, 10:23 AM
That is where you are worng

God and Jesus like to drink, too.

Why else do we have beer and wine? :Smiley051

Midtowner
04-07-2006, 10:25 AM
If you're not a fan of bars, I do have a solution for you. Don't go.

I had a very enjoyable evening last night at Roccoco's sat at the bar drinking martinis, listening to live jazz, while spending time with a couple of classmates.

Now, I wasn't rip-roarin' drunk, it'd take a lot of money at $8.25 a drink to get that way. So long as the drinking is done in a manner that is not harmful to myself or others (or even potentially harmful, I really don't know of any reason why it would be considered sinful. It may be outside your moral code, but it's not outside mine. I find it not only offensive, but sinful as the Bible would hold for you to judge anyone besides yourself of committing acts of sin. Pay attention that your own affairs are in order, I'll tend to mine.

Back to topic! I'd love to see a comedy club in Bricktown. I'd take it a step above though and try to get a second-city type place where they do sketch comedy. Something like that would provide an excellent venue for recreational activities for conferences that we hope are lured to OKC by Bricktown, it could provide something pretty unique in the way of entertainment, and unlike comedy clubs, you could at least have PG-13 entertainment.

Bricktown is a very "family values" oriented place. I don't think your traditional raunchy comedy club quite fits that ticket.

John
04-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Bricktown is a very "family values" oriented place. I don't think your traditional raunchy comedy club quite fits that ticket.

Have you seen some of the clothes the chicks wear to the clubs? :tweeted: Not very family friendly. (Unless you feel like makin a family!) lol

I think a lot of the family friendly stuff is suited for the mess that is the Lower Reno area.

Patrick
04-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Guys, I will take care of the issue.

jbrown84
04-07-2006, 04:10 PM
A Second City-type sketch comedy place would be really awesome.

Nixon7
07-05-2006, 12:35 AM
BUMP!! Any hopes for a comedy club in Bricktown, Patrick? I think it's an excellent idea to give us something more to do besides eat or watch a movie.