View Full Version : I'm scared today

Karried
03-30-2006, 10:52 AM
I'm getting really freaked out with this weather.. for those of you who have lived here your whole lives, do you ever get used to tornados?

There is a huge line of severe thunder storms headed right this way.. and the whole state is under a tornado watch. I'm scared for my kids at school - my little one is on a field trip. I don't like this at all..

floater
03-30-2006, 11:07 AM
Don't worry, Karried. I'm sure the chaperones are mindful of the weather. Where are they? Do they parents' contact info?

I don't worry about tornados, and just run for the closet when know one's coming!

Midtowner
03-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Karried, the chances of your kids getting hit by a tornado are virtually nil. Don't think that the school won't take every precaution possible. Your kids' teachers are trained as to what they need to do in the event of an emergency.

upisgr8
03-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Not to sweat, KD if you need anything you got my number. Try to tune in to the National Weather Service or Weather Channel, the local guys like to hype it up a bit and scary is good to keep you tuned in.

Karried
03-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Thanks guys... breathing a big sigh of relief... looks like the worst is past us.. I hope the people in the tornado path South are okay..

MadMonk
03-30-2006, 02:34 PM
I moved here when I was 12 and tornados were very scary. I've been through several close calls, but no direct hits. I guess you sort of get used to it and realize that with a little common sense and awareness of your surroundings you really are pretty safe.

However, its scary to not have little ones nearby when the weather gets iffy. My wife was born here and she called me to say she didn't take our daughter to kindergarden today because of the weather. :D

Subvertia
03-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Haha I agree with Upisgr8, the local guys do like to hype it up.

To answer your question, I have gotten used to tornadoes. The movies get really carried away when it comes to showing what happens during them.
They can be very dangerous though, as you will soon see on the news.
I definitely understand your concern, and I do want to let you know that today is very mild so far. There have been a couple touch down, but it does get more spooky than this, so be prepared mentally.
The worst thing to do during a Tornado Advisory is to panic. Most schools double as storm shelters during this season. Your children's school secretary can tell you, or there will be signs posted on the outside of the building. You can contact your area police or fire station to find the nearest shelter.

If you do hear the sirens:
Go to the center of the house, away from doors and windows.
(A closet is recommended, preferably not against an outside wall)
Keep your TV on the news, turn it up if you have to.
I've grabbed pillows to cover my head with (never needed them, but oh well)and bottled water in case I needed it later.
Don't worry about your animals, they have a way of hiding very well during these storms.
I don't let my kids know I'm scared (when I am), that can make a calm situation really stressful.

Ask your children if they have had tornado drills in their school, if not, I'd find out why. I know I had them 3-4 times a year growing up.

It usually takes a season (which can be all year lol) to get used to tornadoes, maybe soon you'll be sitting on your porch looking for a hook echo yourself!

Oh, and, if you like, I can send you the "Gary England Drinking Game" rules, that way, when the tornado does come, you'll be too sloshed to care ;)

Karried
03-30-2006, 03:01 PM
Lol, after today - I need a drink.. this will actually be my third tornado season in OK - the first year we moved here in March and there was a tornado that came across the Turnpike about 10 min from our house! We do have a shelter which was good - we sat in there for what seemed like forever listening to the radio and wondering if we would have a house when we came out!

Last year we had a few sirens going off and this year looks like it is starting off with a bang!

I remember seeing the May 3rd coverage on the news, over and over, it looked horribly sad and so devastating.

bandnerd
03-30-2006, 04:42 PM
Don't worry about the kiddos, Karried. They train us what to do ;) The newer buildings especially are usually reinforced in this part of the world, and have a place for people to go.

My building is 80 years old and has never been hit. I'm pretty sure radiation wouldn't through its walls.

SoonerDave
03-30-2006, 04:57 PM
As dreadful as tornadoes are, it is absolutely critical to understand that the typical tornado is short-lived, and has a very small damage area compared to, say, a hurricane. As someone else very aptly pointed out, the chances of a tornado hitting an arbitrarily selected point are vanishingly small.

Our local weathermen do their very best to spin everyone up into five-star hysterics at weather season, making everyone think they're going to die if you don't know who has the biggest Doppler. I hate it. I've lived here almost all my life, and it wasn't until I was older that I really appreciated how they stir up the hysterics locally.

Think about it this way; watch a couple of those specials about storm chasers, guys who actually *seek out* tornadoes, and note their frustration at just how *infrequently* they happen to find one..

Just use some good common sense, keep yourself aware of what's going on, and you'll be about as safe as anyone.

-SoonerDave

okclee
03-30-2006, 05:10 PM
It is all hype, anything for TV ratings.

Elmofromok
03-30-2006, 09:03 PM
You get used to the tornados.. but I am not sure you ever get used to Gary England doing his yearly storm season freakout..

Faith
03-31-2006, 08:07 AM
I've lived here my entire life and I will never get use to tornadoes. After seeing the May 3rd 99 tornado and then again in 03 leaving my work just to find out that 30 minutes later the bank across the street was leveled that was enough for me to freak out every time there is a severe thunderstorm that could produce rotation or a tornadoes.

I think once you have experienced lost of property or being hurt by a tornado first hand then you can understand all the hype better.

I was scared too yesterday. I called my 1 year olds day-care just to ask them if they were getting prepared in case of a tornado and to ask them what their procedures were if there was one. His school is in Moore and I know that Moore always seems to get hit when there are tornados.

Faith
03-31-2006, 08:10 AM
I use to think people got to excited over things. But not anymore. Just a little over a week ago I was being skeptical over the grass fires. Everyone at my work was getting hyped up because the grass fires were 4 miles to our south. I thought they were all being ridiculous. Finally, I decided to step outside and the fields around my work were engulfed in flames. The police department and firemen evacuated our entire complex.

Keith
03-31-2006, 04:11 PM
I've lived here my entire life and I will never get use to tornadoes. After seeing the May 3rd 99 tornado and then again in 03 leaving my work just to find out that 30 minutes later the bank across the street was leveled that was enough for me to freak out every time there is a severe thunderstorm that could produce rotation or a tornadoes.

I think once you have experienced lost of property or being hurt by a tornado first hand then you can understand all the hype better.

I was scared too yesterday. I called my 1 year olds day-care just to ask them if they were getting prepared in case of a tornado and to ask them what their procedures were if there was one. His school is in Moore and I know that Moore always seems to get hit when there are tornados.
I wasn't scared, just a little concerned. Part of my responsibility at work is to watch the weather on TV, and keep a close eye on the radar, so that I can keep the guys in the field aware of the severe weather conditions.

I remember Gary England kept saying that the conditions were right for developing tornadoes. I watched the entire afternoon, until I knew that the storm was going to pass north of us and south of us. When the potential danger was over, I turned off the TV. When I got home, I turned on the TV, and they were talking about storms near Ada. They stayed on the air for a long time. I can understand them having live coverage when the storms are approaching OKC, but when they are far away from us, and aren't affecting us, it is time to get back to normal programming.

I am not afraid of tornadoes, however, I do respect them. When I hear the tornado sirens go off, I don't run in my yard and look for it...I take cover.

Folks, this is just the beginning. Tomorrow, we are suppose to be getting another round of severe weather.

Speaking of grass fires....since Jan. 1st 2006 the Okla. City Fire Dept. has worked 615 grass fires.

Patrick
03-31-2006, 08:32 PM
It's the media that scares everyone. Truthfully, your chances of getting hit by a tornado aren't great. Just look at all of the historical structures still standing in OKC. I'd much rather worry about tornados every season, than worrying about living near the shore and facing hurricanes.

Subvertia
04-01-2006, 04:59 AM

Did they have appropriate proceedures okcgoddess?

I am used to these things, however, I still get scared. I live in NW OKC, and will hit the closet when one comes through Nichols Hills (at least twice a year). It seems every year they take similar paths.

As far as Moore is concerned, it truly is a great little community, thriving well on it's own. However, I think of Moore like an Indian Burial Ground, Why build on it when you know you're going to get hit?

I have seen the devestation up close. When I was 5, we lost 2 houses in our neighborhood from a night of tornados. And I recall growing up freaking out every time the sirens went off (I still hate Noon on Saturdays). I also find it exciting and love the feel in the air when the barometric pressure drops.
:)

shane453
04-01-2006, 11:57 AM
What, we had severe weather last week?

I guess I didn't notice... ;)

plmccordj
04-01-2006, 05:49 PM
If you are smart, you will get a NOAA weather radio. The people on TV are typical news people. They exagerate everything. They invent terms like wind chill so they can make it sound colder than it is.. or heat index to make it sound worse than it is. I was born here and chased many storms and I can say first hand, that our media makes it sound like the apocolypse whenever a cumulous cloud passes over.

A typical report goes similar to this... "This storm is not severe but be alert (translation - don't lose hope) because it will get stronger. The storm is weakening but don't lose hope, it will be stronger soon."

In my 40 years, I have seen two F-5's within 200 miles of Oklahoma City. With the 4 hour weather advisories, you will never miss one :)

Just my take.

Paul