View Full Version : Who should replace Kelvin Sampson

mranderson
03-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Who should replace Kelvin Sampson? And why?

upisgr8
03-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Byron Scott, he's a Great Coach and he does't want to go back to New Orleans. He loves Oklahoma.. Perhaps "Loud City" could relocate to Norman.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e268/upisgr8/basketball.gif

Patrick
03-29-2006, 11:59 PM
I agree. Byron Scott. I'd love to keep him here in Oklahoma. Maybe he could bring a new tradition of loudness to a very dead Loyd Noble Arena.

crabby_cruiser
03-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Eddie Sutton

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
04-01-2006, 12:10 PM
Seriously now, I think that someone like George Mason's Jim Larranaga or Wichita State's Mark Turgeon should get serious consideration. Mike Davis wouldn't be a horrible choice either, but his time in Indiana may have tainted him.

Unseriously, maybe they can get Larry Brown from the Knicks. That would be funny....

Midtowner
04-01-2006, 12:30 PM
I'd love to see Mike Davis here. He did a terrific job at Indiana and has probably learned from his mistakes.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
04-01-2006, 12:34 PM
I'd love to see Mike Davis here. He did a terrific job at Indiana and has probably learned from his mistakes.
I think the fact that he was succeeding Bob Knight (AKA God of Indiana) had Davis in the hole to begin with. Add that to the fact that they think they're Duke or North Carolina just had him behind the 8 ball from the start. I do hope that he does get a job next year where he can be appreciated.

mranderson
04-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Sherri Coales. Why? Can you say winner? Plus, what other men's basketball team has a very attractive woman as coach.

Keith
04-01-2006, 03:11 PM
I agree. Byron Scott. I'd love to keep him here in Oklahoma. Maybe he could bring a new tradition of loudness to a very dead Loyd Noble Arena.
Byron Scott would be perfect. He really seems to like it here, and he is a top notch coach.

Midtowner
04-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Byron Scott would be perfect. He really seems to like it here, and he is a top notch coach.

He's doing fine in the NBA. Also, he is likely making far more money than OU would be willing to pay. The basketball coach at OU not only competes with the football coach for salary... he also competes with the football assistant coaches who are very well paid.

I don't think we have the money for Scott. I much more afforable canidate exists elsewhere I'm sure. Someone who is itching to prove themselves at the bigtime level would be perfect.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
04-01-2006, 06:02 PM
I actually don't know if Byron Scott would be a good college coach. Typically, most coaches are either good at either college or pros, not both. Larry Brown is one of the exceptions, of course, but one does not hear a lot of other examples.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
04-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Sherri Coales. Why? Can you say winner? Plus, what other men's basketball team has a very attractive woman as coach.
One reason this won't happen is because I don't think that OU wants to look for another women's head coach. She's doing fine right were she is.

I would be shocked if it happened, but that would be pretty cool also.

Todd
04-02-2006, 10:52 AM
Did any one else notice the ad in the Sunday Oklahoman by The Sports Animal casting their support for Sherri Cole to be the next OU men's basketball coach?

IMHO I think she deserves a shot.

floater
04-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Did any one else notice the ad in the Sunday Oklahoman by The Sports Animal casting their support for Sherri Cole to be the next OU men's basketball coach?

IMHO I think she deserves a shot.

I saw that. Kinda of a daring ad that you would sooner expect in the OU student paper, but not the Oklahoman. I think it's an interesting proposition, but I'd rather she stay at the OU's women's team. No matter how much $$$ we'll throw at Kelvin's successor, it's still a crapshoot. With Sherri Coale, especially right now, we have the elements for a national championship team. She's raising the caliber of OU women's b-ball, and I'd hate to see that disrupted for an intriguing experimental choice.

But for the men's team: there's a column by Dave Sittler in today's Tulsa World that lays out why OU would be a good match for Memphis' John Calipari:

- he's reportedly interested
- he plays uptempo basketball
- he considers Conference USA shrinking in importance, and would prefer the attention the Big 12 enjoys
- the Big 12 has a good hoops reputation
- he doesn't mind incentive-based pay
- he's worked in markets with NBA basketball before (Memphis and UMass/Celtics)
- reportedly, he's told others he admires Bob Stoops and wouldn't mind playing second fiddle; he'd also like to work for Joe Castiglione
- he's a star coach who would elevate the men's team to new heights, a goal of Castiglione's

metro
04-03-2006, 12:32 PM
did you also see the Sports Animals other ad today for Jim Traber to be the new OU women's basketball coach. That would be scary. It was a full page ad in the wanna-be sports section

mranderson
04-03-2006, 02:31 PM
did you also see the Sports Animals other ad today for Jim Traber to be the new OU women's basketball coach. That would be scary. It was a full page ad in the wanna-be sports section

Probably just a good way to gain listeners with an ad campaign.