View Full Version : downtown's Couch Park making a comeback

metro
03-29-2006, 01:10 PM
Most of you remember the concert in the park series last year for Friday lunches. Expect even more out of downtown's Couch Park this year!! Including a farmer's market in the heart of the CBD.

http://newsok.com/article/1800450/

and

http://newsok.com/article/1800448/

jbrown84
03-29-2006, 01:36 PM
Can I get a reminder on where Couch Park is?

metro
03-29-2006, 01:41 PM
If you read one of the articles it gives the exact location. Couch Park is located between Broadway and Robinson at Robert S. Kerr, adjacent to Kerr Park. Downtownokc.com also has articles regarding the events.

http://www.downtownokc.com/Default.aspx?tabid=182

and

http://www.downtownokc.com/Default.aspx?tabid=181

BDP
03-29-2006, 01:53 PM
Couch Park is between Broadway and Robinson Avenue at Robert S. Kerr Avenue, adjacent to Kerr Park, and just west of the Skirvin hotel.

I'm having a hard time picturing it though...

metro
03-29-2006, 01:54 PM
Go to the downtownokc.com links, they have pictures

John
03-29-2006, 01:55 PM
I'm having a hard time picturing it though...

If you were on Robinson heading south, it would be just behind the 'settler' statue between the Dowell & City Place buildings. Help any?

John
03-29-2006, 02:00 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/LongJohn81/couchpark.jpg

Couch Park is the area in yellow.

floater
03-29-2006, 02:22 PM
behind the former Sonic building, across Broadway from the Skirvin

The Old Downtown Guy
03-29-2006, 02:50 PM
The best way to describe the location is that it connects the Skirvin Hotel and Leadership Square. Since it is adjacent to Kerr Park, most people think of it as being part of the same park.

Also, Downtown OKC did a design competition two or three years ago which was won by Randy Floyd, so they have a great new design concept for the park, but alas, no money allocated to fund the construction. The market will be a great addition to downtown and perhaps stir new interest in updating the park.

See you there.

BDP
03-29-2006, 03:00 PM
Go to the downtownokc.com links, they have pictures

Got it. It's kind of more plaza than park, right?

jbrown84
03-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Yeah I never realized that was two separate parks.

Is there anywhere we can see the proposed designs to redevelop it?

ksearls
03-30-2006, 08:13 AM
Here's all the info on SoundBites in the Park

Second Season SoundBites in the Park Concert
Series to Entertain Dining Downtowners

Music will fill the Downtown spring air as the second season of the SoundBites in the Park concert series kicks off Friday, April 7 when Pinkie and the Snakeshakers take the stage to entertain Downtowners on their lunch break. Pinkie will perform from 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. in Couch Park, located between Broadway and Robinson at Robert S. Kerr, adjacent to Kerr Park.

The SoundBites in the Park concert series continues throughout the spring with bands appearing every Friday on April, May and June. The 13 bands range from Country, Jazz and Rock to Bluegrass, Rockabilly and even and an Elvis impersonator. Future SoundBites concerts include:

April 7 Pinkie and the Snakeshakers
April 14 Horseshoe Road
April 21 Camille Harp
April 28 John Arnold Band
May 5 The Rounders
May 12 Garrett "Big G" Jacobsen Trio
May 19 Starkweather Boys
May 26 Psycho Diva and the Couch Doctors
June 2 Tall Cotton String Band
June 9 Elvis Thrasher
June 16 Jahruba and the Street People
June 23 Boru's Ghost
June 30 The Bluecats

Diners are encouraged to visit one of the many fine Downtown restaurants, grab a lunch to go, and come eat alfresco in the park. Downtown restaurants offering a special $5 SoundBites lunch special include, Abraham's Downtown Grill, Café on Main, Chicken Etc., City Bites, Interurban City Express, Pizza Town, Quiznos, Richey's Deli, Sub Stop and Downtown Subways. The SoundBites menus for the featured restaurants are featured at www.downtownokc.com. Couch Park features tables with umbrellas, beautiful fountains and cozy shaded seating areas, and is the perfect spot for a midday Downtown retreat from the office.

SoundBites in the Park is presented by the Downtown OKC Business Improvement District (BID). The management and maintenance of Couch Park is also funded through the BID. The purpose of the Downtown OKC BID is to manage, promote, improve and maintain Downtown OKC and to implement programs to achieve the strategy of making Downtown Oklahoma City clean, safe and friendly for businesses, workers, residents and guests. The City of Oklahoma City contracts with Downtown OKC Inc. to execute its BID initiatives.

For more information regarding SoundBites in the Park or the BID, contact Downtown Oklahoma City Inc. at (405) 235-3500 or visit www.downtownokc.com.

ksearls
03-30-2006, 08:16 AM
And here's Farmers Market! People are really excited about this! We are so pleased with our partnership with OSU/OKC.

OSU-OKC Farmers’ Market Comes to Downtown

(OKLAHOMA CITY, OK) – The OSU-OKC Farmers’ Market is coming to downtown Oklahoma City. Beginning May 3, the renowned market will be open Wednesdays, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., through September 13 in Couch Park, located between Broadway and Robinson at Robert S. Kerr, adjacent to Kerr Park. Official grand opening ceremonies are planned for May 17.

The new downtown festivity is the result of a partnership between OSU-OKC and Downtown Oklahoma City, Inc.

"We are grateful that OSU-OKC is bringing such an exciting enhancement to our downtown community. The market will be a handy convenience not only for downtown workers and residents, but the central location also provides easy access for anyone in the metro area seeking fresh, Oklahoma-grown produce and hand-crafted Made in Oklahoma products," said Dave Lopez, president Downtown OKC Inc.

The OSU-OKC Farmers’ Market is a member of the Oklahoma Grown Farmers Market program, registered with the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture, Food and Forestry. Every item sold at the market is grown or made in Oklahoma. Items available include produce, dairy, eggs, meats, nuts, baked items and processed foods - many of which are certified organic.

In addition to a wide array of food items, the Market offers plant materials, orchids, fresh cut flowers, and a variety of handmade skin care and craft items. Visitors will also be able to enjoy weekly entertainment and cooking demonstrations by some of downtown’s most notable chefs.

“With all the business, retail and residential growth happening in downtown Oklahoma City, we expect the Farmers’ Market to be well received,” stated Jerry Carroll, OSU-OKC president. “We are honored to be a part of the excitement.”

The hosting of Wednesday’s Farmers’ Market downtown will replace the Wednesday market formerly held at the OSU-OKC campus. However, the Saturday market will still take place, 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. at the OSU-OKC Horticulture Pavilion, 400 N. Portland. For more information, visit www.osuokc.edu/farmersmarket.

The Old Downtown Guy
03-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Is there anywhere we can see the proposed designs to redevelop it?

DowntownOKC would have the competition submission from the architect. Perhaps ksearls could put it UP for everyone to have a look at and also let us know what progress they are making on getting the much needed overhaul funded.

mburlison
03-30-2006, 08:51 PM
I heard some about the Farmer's Market thing at work today. Good news, as I work in the City Place building there right next to it. Nice little park to have spring and summer lunches in :).

The Old Downtown Guy
05-03-2006, 09:19 AM
OPEN TODAY. . . The OSU Farmers Market in Couch Park is open today. Check it out.

ksearls
05-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Just came from the OSU-OKC Downtown Farmers' Market at Couch Park and it is great! I am eating my organic beef "slim jim" as we speak. Ummmm, delcious slim jim.

Also bought lavender and rosemary plants and home-grown strawberries! They have beautiful bedding and house plants,fresh cut peonies that are beautiful, fresh eggs, tomatoes, nuts and even home-made yogurt and yogurt chocolate-chip cheesecake.

Get out there and buy some stuff!!

Farmer Kim :tiphat:

metro
05-03-2006, 05:01 PM
I was there too, I loaded up on the homemade cheese and butter! Will have to get there earlier next time, looks like alot of stuff sold out quick! I have pictures of the event in my gallery.

The Old Downtown Guy
05-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Two large bunches of asparagus, at $2.00 each, in the fridge and three beautiful peonies in a vase on the bar are among the purchases we made at the Couch Park farmers market today. Only about half of the regular vendors attended this pre-grand opening first time downtown. There will be more vendors and a bigger selection of Oklahoma grown and Oklahoma made products to choose from next week. See you there.