View Full Version : Mexican Restaurants = Fat Okc

okclee
03-28-2006, 06:13 PM
Does anyone else hate seeing Okc on the list of Fattest cities ?

I just read the thread discussing the Laredos mexican restaurant near the Belle Isle area. More Mexican food, this is what we really need in Okc.

I know that Laredo's is a long established place that is only relocating, that is not my point.

We have a Mexican restaurant on every corner in Okc. This is one of the reasons that you will find Okc on the list of fattest cities. We eat too much, especially Mexican food.

I think that we need to do more promoting exercise in Okc. I would like to see more sidewalks to invite people to walk, jog, run, or ride bikes in Okc. I like the way that Edmond has sidewalks almost everywhere.

Take a look around, Okc is FAT!

http://www.kfor.com/Global/story.asp?S=4329506
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-01-06-fittest-city_x.htm
http://www.mensfitness.com/rankings/304

bandnerd
03-28-2006, 07:15 PM
It's not just a local epidemic, though...you can't just rag on OKC. The rest of the world is putting on weight, too. We've westernized so much of the world they are becoming like us!

While I am one of the overweight people in this city, I am actively working on getting myself in shape. I'm certainly not obese, just about 10 pounds from goal, but I still eat mexican food and definitely want the option there for nights when I allow myself to have a free meal without consequence. It keeps me sane.

Nothing is going to change unless we change our attitudes about our lifestyles. Sure, there are restaurants on every corner, but we don't HAVE to eat there. We don't HAVE to go to McD's. I sure don't. But our lifestyle is hectic in this country, and we want everything now, now, now, and no one wants to cook or take the time to take care of themselves.

Put the sidewalks in...and watch, no one will use them.

BFizzy
03-28-2006, 08:40 PM
"The factors include the amount of public park space, access to health care, air quality and the number of fast-food restaurants."

None of those things actually have anything to do with whether or not we are overweight. People love lists and the media knows that lists are a great way to get readers/viewers. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in them however.

I agree that we should promote a healthier lifestyle in OKC, but don't blame the mexican food restaurants. People can over-eat any type of food.

I work very hard to stay in shape, but I will never give up mexican food.

windowphobe
03-28-2006, 08:47 PM
You'll notice that they don't complain like this in Mexico, and there's a heck of a lot more Mexican food there than there is here.

Patrick
03-28-2006, 09:34 PM
I don't think it's fair to blame Mexican food. Mexican restaurants have always been around. Lifestyles have simply changed.

OklaCity_75
03-28-2006, 10:03 PM
We are in the South its pretty much a given to be on the fattest city list.

Then again like Patrick said lifestyles have changed. The average oklahoman probably spends more time in a climate controlled enviroment then they do outside.

I think it is sad how many tanning salons are in this city. If we all spent more time outside, we would all have golden glows.

autoMATTic
03-29-2006, 07:41 AM
Speaking of mexican food, I am desperately trying to locate a restaurant that serves a mexican breakfast. Help me!

escan
03-29-2006, 08:04 AM
Maybe what OKlee is referring to is the lack of healthy restaurants in OKC. I'm not saying there are none, BUT they are much fewer and farer between than BBQ joints, burger places and Mexican restaurants. Of course it's each person's decision and personal responsibility to take care of themselves...I basically eat what I want, when I want and then excercise to take care of myself (and my "shape") :) BUT there are times when I wish there were fresh and healthy alternatives outside of sushi, salads, etc.

okclee
03-29-2006, 11:05 AM
I do understand that Mexican food isn't to blame no more than fast food, all you can eat Chinese, or any other buffet. My real point is we all know that America is getting fatter.

I do believe that Okc is one of the fattest cities in America. I would like for Okc to do more in promoting healthy lifestyle. I do think that parks, sidewalks, and city sponsored health fitness centers would help.

Also much more is needed in health education. Oklahoma City ranks at or near the top in many unhealthy related areas, such as diabetes. I would like to see our city do more to help the greatest asset we have and that is our people.

You can file this in the area of "quality of life" for Oklahoma City.

Patrick
03-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Speaking of mexican food, I am desperately trying to locate a restaurant that serves a mexican breakfast. Help me!

Might sound weird, but Taco Cabana used to have a really good breakfast. They stopped serving it for awhile, but I think they're re-continued it. You might check them out.

My father-in-law is full blood Mexican and his folks were from Mexico, so I also ask him about good Mexican food....I was surprised when he told me he liked their breakfast, because he's usually more into the restaurants on the south side. The locally owned ones.

Pete
03-29-2006, 12:00 PM
You definitely see less light/healthy/California/French/fusion restaurants in that area of the country which typically serve smaller, lighter portions.

For example, restaurants that serve tapas (a series of small dishes) are very popular in many large cities but I don't think it would find much patronage in OKC.

There is still a strong preference for restaurants with huge portions in that area, and that is by far the most fattening part of eating out, not the food itself.

jbrown84
03-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Should we go so far as to give incentives to people opening healthier restaurant options?

Just tossing that out there.

metro
03-29-2006, 01:08 PM
For example, restaurants that serve tapas (a series of small dishes) are very popular in many large cities but I don't think it would find much patronage in OKC.

Actually tapas have caught on quite well in OKC. There are tapas bars popping up all over the metro. One of the first and most popular is Tom & Jerry's on NW 23rd, which by the way I highly recommend and has some equisite food. It can get pricey quick though, especially for dinner.

okclee, I agree OKC is an overweight city, although the city has been dilegently working on changing this. as many have said it is a national epidemic, not a local problem. it has a ton to do with lifestyle choices. the coasts, naturally have more attractions to keep people outside and enjoy the scenery. OKC will have to man-make a lot of it such as the Myriad Gardens and Lake Hefner. OKC is definitely on the right track. If you read the latest report from Men's health it was one of the few cities who jumped up in the list quite a bit. Public education of making better choices and what good choices are out there is key. There are more than plenty healthy restaurants and activies. Making the public aware of these is another challenge.

BDP
03-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Maybe what OKlee is referring to is the lack of healthy restaurants in OKC.

That's definately a problem, but it is a reflection of the market. It is very hard to get something healthy for lunch in OKC, unless you don't mind the same thing all the time.

escan
03-29-2006, 02:32 PM
That's definately a problem, but it is a reflection of the market. It is very hard to get something healthy for lunch in OKC, unless you don't mind the same thing all the time.

That's my point....if there are all of us complaining about a lack of variety in healthy fare...perhaps WE are the market who is being underserved. I am ONCE AGAIN, eating sushi tonight...because I ate tapas at T & J's last week, had a salad for lunch and , ummmm....well that's about it unless I want to hit the lite menus at Chili's or Applebee's (ick!)