View Full Version : Replacing computer parts

amethystgirl
03-27-2006, 12:50 PM
My computer has no power, no lights, nothing.
I have replaced the motherboard.....still nothing.
I have replaced the power supply....still nothing.
Yes, it is plugged in to the wall....lol
Should I replace my CPU next?
thanks

MadMonk
03-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Checked the circuit breaker on the circuit you've plugged into? ;)

amethystgirl
03-27-2006, 01:12 PM
Checked the circuit breaker on the circuit you've plugged into? ;)

Yes.

Midtowner
03-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Does the power supply make noise when you turn it on? Even if you have a bad MB, the fans on the Power Supply should still be turning.

amethystgirl
03-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Does the power supply make noise when you turn it on? Even if you have a bad MB, the fans on the Power Supply should still be turning.

No, the fans on the power supply do not turn....that is why I am so confused.!!! I have tried 2 NEW power supplies, one was a 250 watt and this last one was a 350 watt.

dirtrider73068
03-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Have you tried a different plug in the room or house? YOu could be plugged into a bummed socket and not getting power, had this happen at my mother in laws house but it would trip a breaker from being shorted out.

okcpulse
03-27-2006, 07:39 PM
Did you install these parts yourself? If yes, then your motherboard is improperly wired. If you have not, then the folks that repaired your PC should be aware of the problem.

As dirtrider said, try another socket. Do not replace your power supply, as you have done so twice.

I had your problem when I built my first PC. The problem? All of the wires that power the soft power switch and LEDs were mixed up.

Midtowner
03-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Have you tried a different plug in the room or house? YOu could be plugged into a bummed socket and not getting power, had this happen at my mother in laws house but it would trip a breaker from being shorted out.

When we first moved into the apartment, we couldn't figure out why our computers wouldn't turn on sometimes.

Lamp switches.. yep.

gbyte
03-27-2006, 08:03 PM
unplug all internal connectors to the motherboard (but leave the ones to the hard drives and cd-roms). Most power supplies should still power on and you should hear the fan on the power supply kick on (unless it's one with a variable/heat sensor to kick in but that usually only happens on more expensive models).

Usually the problem for a power supply not kicking on is that one of the connectors have been forced on in a wrong position or perhaps a pin on a connector is incorrect (bent out of place/etc) or they are misaligned to where they belong on the motherboard (perhaps it's over a bit too far on the connector and a pin is not in the connector).

Other than that if you have a 3.5" floppy drive you might try disconnecting that power cable also and retry.

Have you tried a different power cable also? ;)

Midtowner
03-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Is it switched to 120 or 220?

ibda12u
03-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Did you install these parts yourself? If yes, then your motherboard is improperly wired. If you have not, then the folks that repaired your PC should be aware of the problem.

As dirtrider said, try another socket. Do not replace your power supply, as you have done so twice.

I had your problem when I built my first PC. The problem? All of the wires that power the soft power switch and LEDs were mixed up.

I'm agreeing with OKCpulse about your power button wires maybe in the wrong places on the Motherboard. On most boards you'll have to get the Power, LED, Reset etc.. wires all the match up with the "new boards pins" I'd check the manual that came with your board, and make sure the power button wires are on the correct pins. Also sometimes getting a + wire on a - pin will also cause it to not turn on the power supply.

We need more info :) I'm assuming the motherboard is new? And not just a older spare. And I'm guessing the power supplies were also new. And I'm also assuming this isn't a new P4 Motherboard.

Let us know

CaptainAmerica
04-22-2006, 08:55 PM
one is the power supply set to 120/220 next, is the switch on the powersupply itself in the one position, not the zero positition?

luke911
05-03-2006, 10:36 PM
More then likely it was a power supply/motherboard problem that was fixed by you swapping parts. When nothing works like you've described, I typically start by unplugging all non essential hardware like hard drives, cdroms, any pci/agp cards not needed to see video during the POST.

Double check the front panel connections with the manual that came with the motherboard. Unplug them all and start plugging them back in starting with the power cable.

If your computer turns on now, one by one start plugging each device back in before turning it back on. If it does start back up, goto the next device and repeat until everything is plugged back in.

Midtowner
05-03-2006, 10:41 PM
luke -- I really hope she's fixed this problem by now considering that she had the problem about 3 months ago :)

luke911
05-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Well if she has, maybe it'll help someone else who has a similiar problem. If not then I just wasted my precious bandwidth and time. :)

amethystgirl
05-04-2006, 08:09 AM
Thanks, Luke911 for the suggestions. Yes, I still have the problem......I just get frustrated and put it aside. I have unplugged everything and verified with the manual where the front panel switches go......but I still can't get any power. Maybe it is the switch to the front panel???? I just feel stupid because I can't figure this out. Question.....Shouldn't the power supply fan turn if it is just plugged into the wall..not in the computer at all....just the power supply???

Midtowner
05-04-2006, 08:16 AM
Power supply is plugged into the motherboard, all of the peripherals, etc.

Switch is on 120V

Plugged into wall.

Power supply is in "on" position.

Check those things. Also make sure you're not plugging into a wall outlet meant for lamps or something (try different outlets).

Otherwise, take it back to where you bought it and ask for help :)

CaptainAmerica
05-04-2006, 09:40 AM
no the fan wont turn unless the powersupply is currently being used, so even if it is plugged in, it will not spin, unless the computer is "on"

luke911
05-04-2006, 02:56 PM
no the fan wont turn unless the powersupply is currently being used, so even if it is plugged in, it will not spin, unless the computer is "on"

Yea the power supply in your computer won't turn on unless it's triggered by the front panel switch. I think you can buy a power supply tester at CompUSA or somewhere similiar or you could take your computer to a computer shop and have them test the power supply.

CaptainAmerica
05-05-2006, 03:48 PM
the most probable cause of the problem, if you have replaced all the other parts, and everything is still plugged in correctly, is the motherboard.