View Full Version : Bowling alley coming to Lower Bricktown; condos pre-sold

Pages : [1] 2 3

Pete
03-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Developer announces new tenants

By Steve Lackmeyer
Business Writer

A 10-lane bowling alley and lounge, and a Starbucks coffee shop were unveiled as anchor tenants Thursday in what will be the newest addition to Lower Bricktown: "The Centennial on the Canal."

The previously announced, $14.3 million, 30-unit condominium project will begin construction May 1, with an opening by summer 2007, developer Randy Hogan said.

"We've been to major cities, and we're trying to match the top amenities being offered," Hogan said. "We're opening in 2007 -- and bringing a new level of residential product to Oklahoma City as the state enters its second century. ... To get people from Houston and Dallas up here to look at this area and see their faces will be kind of fun."

Plans show the five-story building will include the 12,000-square-foot 10-lane Kingpin Bowling Lounge and Starbucks on the canal level, with more retail spaces available on a street-level walkway similar to those found along the northern segment of the Bricktown Canal.

"This will give visitors another thing to do when they're out eating or seeing a movie," Hogan said. "The trend now is not just people who are in leagues, but for those who just want to go out and have a fun time, and not worry about scores."

Inspired by loft developments in Los Angeles, Hogan said The Centennial will include a 10-foot by 40-foot lap pool and patio on the roof.

"It's really for the ambiance as it is for anything else," Hogan said. "Residents will be able to have private parties up there, with an incredible view of downtown. Bricktown will have something you can only find in cities like Dallas and Denver."

Hogan said 11 of the 30 condominiums have been reserved by buyers -- a threshold he cited early on as necessary before starting construction. Hogan said prices range from $305,000 to $595,000 -- and two of the top-priced units are among those already reserved.

The residences will include 30 storage units and a secured 62-space underground parking garage. The units, ranging in size from 1,100 to 2,000 square feet, will each have a balcony facing either the east, north, or west.

With construction starting on The Centennial, Hogan will have one last major pad site left to develop as part of Urban Renewal project -- an 11,000-square-foot spot between Harkins Theatres and Toby Keith's I Love this Bar & Grill.

Hogan said he hopes to attract some more retail shops to the street-level storefronts of The Centennial before developing the final pad.

"We're really wanting to get just the right mix," Hogan said.

Hogan estimates total investment in Lower Bricktown will top $75 million. Construction is continuing on a 151-room Residence Inn that is scheduled to open by early 2007. Other additions over the past two years have included a Bass Pro Shops store, Sonic headquarters, the theater, shops and restaurants.

Before construction of the canal as part of the city's Metropolitan Area Projects, the area was a decaying industrial area littered with debris and several empty buildings.

"This really starts to complete the circle," said Frank Sims, director of the Bricktown Association. "We've been looking for this kind of development to start up for years."

Sims said he is also excited by Hogan's success at luring buyers for the condominiums -- among the most expensive of several projects planned for downtown.

"To have eleven units committed before ground is broken shows the interest that is out there for urban living," Sims said. "And with the restaurants, clubs and various venues, we will some real consistency as a district that is going 24 hours a day, seven days a week."

John
03-24-2006, 02:12 PM
I love the smell of fresh EIFS in the morning! :rolleyes:

Patrick
03-24-2006, 02:23 PM
One more pad site? Ridiculous. How about developing the parking lot in front of Bass Pro Shop.

BTW, bowling alleys are pretty original and urban for sure. I don't know of any suburban area that has one.

Oh well, at least the 5 story building will have a parking garage for the residents. I guess that's about as urban as we're going to get.

I still think Randy should build more than 30 condos.

Patrick
03-24-2006, 02:26 PM
BTW, Bricktown 2000's investment was going to be close to $300 million, so I don't think $75 million is all that much.

Pete
03-24-2006, 03:44 PM
At least bowling will provide something else to do other than the restaurants and movies.

Frankly, considering the rest of LB, this is probably the best we could hope for.

dj_ango
03-24-2006, 04:16 PM
http://www.bowlluckystrike.com/

This is more what the owners have in mind...not a suburban bowling alley.

jbrown84
03-24-2006, 05:54 PM
At least bowling will provide something else to do other than the restaurants and movies.

Frankly, considering the rest of LB, this is probably the best we could hope for.

I'm in agreement. Much better than I would have expected.

writerranger
03-24-2006, 06:15 PM
I love the idea of the Bricktown bowling lounge.
Anybody who doesn't think it's an "urban" thing has never been to 10 PIN in downtown Chicago. Awesome.

Nuclear_2525
03-24-2006, 06:49 PM
I agree with more than 30 condos. You would think with 11 already pre-sold, Hogan would take that into consideration and start adding more.

At least that is what I would be thinking.

Patrick
03-24-2006, 07:17 PM
True, I've never been to 10 pin. Can someone describe it a little more?

Patrick
03-24-2006, 07:23 PM
BTW, what happened to the other pad over by Bass Pro Shop? It's #9 on the map....

http://lowerbricktown.com/space.php

Pete
03-25-2006, 01:29 AM
It really bothers me that the three top floors will be all stucco -- no brick whatsoever.

Considering he's planning to charge $300 per square foot for condos, he sure is using cheap materials on the outside.

Just a big, square stucco box.

Patrick
03-25-2006, 10:49 AM
It really bothers me that the three top floors will be all stucco -- no brick whatsoever.

Considering he's planning to charge $300 per square foot for condos, he sure is using cheap materials on the outside.

Just a big, square stucco box.

He's in this to make money, what do you expect? He essentially got the land for free, so we as tax payers are giving him his fortune. Plus, he doesn't have to abide by Bricktown restrictions. I will admit, this will sure look out of place, with all of the brick buildings across the street, but it's just fitting in with the overall Lower Bricktown theme.

Patrick
03-25-2006, 12:11 PM
The above all being said, there are some good points to be found in Hogan's Centennial. It's going to have canal level retail....I wish he would've done this below the movie theater and other buildings instead of putting up the concrete wall. Also, I like the idea of the underground parking garage. Finally, the swimming pool being on the roof is prett cool!

floater
03-25-2006, 01:00 PM
I wish he would've done this below the movie theater and other buildings instead of putting up the concrete wall. Also, I like the idea of the underground parking garage. Finally, the swimming pool being on the roof is prett cool!

Amen.

writerranger
03-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Here's some pix from 10 pin Bowling Lounge in downtown Chicago...

http://www.chicago-scene.com/albimg/2005photos/oct2005/Oct20-10Pin/IMG_0004.jpg
-
http://www.chicago-scene.com/albimg/2005photos/oct2005/Oct20-10Pin/IMG_0006.jpg
-
http://www.chicago-scene.com/albimg/2005photos/oct2005/Oct20-10Pin/IMG_0007.jpg
-
http://www.chicago-scene.com/albimg/2005photos/oct2005/Oct20-10Pin/IMG_0009.jpg
-
http://www.chicago-scene.com/albimg/2005photos/oct2005/Oct20-10Pin/IMG_0022.jpg
-
http://www.chicago-scene.com/albimg/2005photos/oct2005/Oct20-10Pin/IMG_0010.jpg
-

Press page:http://www.10pinchicago.com/press.php

Description from 10 pin:
10pin redefines the bowling experience by combining a retro sport with a hip upscale lounge. located adjacent to the house of blues in landmark marina city, 10pin is 20,000 square feet of high energy fun. twenty four state-of-the-art lanes are topped by a 128-foot, high-definition video wall supported by a nightclub quality audio system. guests can enjoy all the action from the plush sofas and intimate seating areas of the lounge or can be served at laneside tables. this cutting edge bowling lounge offers an extensive martini list alongside a collection of small plates featuring innovative american cuisine designed to encourage sharing.

10pin draws an urban professional crowd who enjoy the combination of the sophisticated atmosphere and the fun of bowling. the hip scene and inventive menu attracts non-bowlers as well. the creative team behind 10pin is harry caray's restaurant group, one of chicago's most dynamic and successful management companies, and chicago's own sports & entertainment holdings with over 70 years of experience in the bowling industry.
http://www.10pinchicago.com

----------------------------

Pete
03-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Is this going to be affiliated with Kingpin Bowling Lounge out of Australia?

http://www.king-pin.com.au/

http://www.kingpinbowling.com.au/richmond/images/aboutmain.jpg

If so, it will be their first location outside of Oz.

John
03-25-2006, 06:46 PM
The bowling alley will be something different to do when venturing downtown, but the amount of stucco on this building, especially given the per unit price is RE-F'N-DICULOUS! I hope he is given the same treatment the Hampton Inn was. I'd let it slide if one or two upper floors were the EIFS crap.

Randy Hogan wouldn't know how to develop water if he was in the middle of the ocean. :rolleyes:

Patrick
03-25-2006, 07:07 PM
I hope he is given the same treatment the Hampton Inn was.

He won't be given the same treatment because he doesn't have to answer to the Bricktown Urban Design Committee. It lies outside of the official Bricktown area.

John
03-25-2006, 07:43 PM
He won't be given the same treatment because he doesn't have to answer to the Bricktown Urban Design Committee. It lies outside of the official Bricktown area.

They shouldn't leech off of Bricktown's name if they aren't subject to the same guidelines.

Maybe a name change is in order. LoCa (lower canal)?

Patrick
03-26-2006, 10:29 PM
I actually think the name fits right....it's a lot lower quality than Bricktown.

John
03-27-2006, 12:21 AM
I actually think the name fits right....it's a lot lower quality than Bricktown.

:bow:

Perhaps we can get them to include 'quality' in the official name!

Pete
03-27-2006, 10:43 AM
BTW, there's a place here in LA called Lucky Strike that is very similar to 10 Pin and the other place I linked to in Australia.

It's hugely popular...

There is a definite trend towards up-scale, urban bowling 'lounges' and if that is what this turns out to be (likely) then it will be a great addition to the area.

Since they are planning to start consturction in May, I guess we'll know more soon.

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
03-27-2006, 11:33 AM
All I got to say is maybe someone should give props where it's due...

http://www.okctalk.com/10692-post80.html

Midtowner, you're a genius!

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
03-27-2006, 11:42 AM
And just for a refresher on how this could be cooler...

http://www.majesticdetroit.com/index.asp

BDP
03-27-2006, 12:44 PM
I agree that bowling is fine as long as it is done right. At this point, I can't imagine it being done right. If Hogan has actually been to some big cities like he said, then he has not used anything he has seen so far in his developments and I am not going to expect him to do so with this. If he does, good, I'll be surprised and I'll even bowl at his place, but I fully expect him to build a small Brunkswick right on the canal. He has compromised with everything else and I doubt he'll do it right this time. I'm not even expecting the pool to actually happen. Basically, if it's cool, I doubt he'll actually do it.

Patrick
03-27-2006, 01:42 PM
BDP, I agree with you. Unfortunately, when I think of Hogan and bowling, I don't think of this 10 pin that's being mentioned. I think of an old smokey bowling alley out in the suburb. I hope Hogan proves me wrong.

dj_ango
03-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Hogan is merely the developer of the building...not the developer of the bowling lounge business. The developers of the bowling lounge have been working on this idea for a couple of years. The concept they are doing is similar to the cool places that have been mentioned on this thread.

Patrick
03-27-2006, 10:20 PM
I'm a little lost by your comment. Hogan is overseeing the entire Lower Bricktown development. That means he picks and chooses his tenants. The reason we have a suburban movie theater, large big box fishing store with a massive parking lot, and 1 story restaurant buildings and weak restaurants is because Hogan brought them there.

fromdust
03-28-2006, 01:06 PM
i like this idea.

swake
03-28-2006, 01:29 PM
Wow, you are adding cheap fake stucco apartments built over a bowling alley to "Lower" Bricktown. So, now you have Toby Keith's (who has a new album coming out called "White Trash with Money", Bass Pro, a Bowling Alley, a huge multi-plex and a Starbucks. How Urban and upscale!

Oh, urban and upscale must be the Starbuck's...........Do all the surface lots make sure the spaces are wide enough for the f-350 pickups?

Really awesome!

I think maybe you should start protesting and having a drive to get more people to be active in local politics. What do you think?

Tulsa's political climate might be harsh, but at least questions are asked and issues are raised. I don't think anyone is watching over anything in OKC. You people are getting screwed, badly, and you don't even see it.

What percentage was your congressman (oh wait, mayor, got ahead of myself) reelected with? Do you think maybe some of these items and the problems you have with the urban renewal authority might be laid at the feet of the mayor, and city governace as a whole, and the very few that vote just vote lockstepped with what the Dissapointment tells you to think?

Bricktown was cool once upon a time, you need to take back your city from people that are only out for a buck and don't care about the result.

Doug Loudenback
03-28-2006, 02:40 PM
Ouch! Why the hostile tone? Did someone in this thread say something irritable?

swake
03-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Not, it's just maddening to read from afar "oh well" on everything that's done and then see the numbers on the recent elections be so high, I think there is a connection, don't you? You are the ones that should be hostile.

Doug Loudenback
03-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Ok. Thanks for your advice.

shane453
03-28-2006, 03:46 PM
Cornett is a great mayor. He has great plans for the future of Oklahoma City and he has done an excellent job luring new businesses and the NBA to OKC. I don't think the people here have taken an "oh well" attitude about Lower Bricktown's less-than-Bricktown-quality development- have you seen how many threads there are that are places to complain about Randy Hogan, or the post that was organizing an investigation on OCURA? I don't think that's passiveness.

And Bricktown is still very cool; even Lower Bricktown adds several entertainment options that are not available in an average downtowns. The parking lots are all developable, and when I-40 moves the parking lot behind Harkins (which basically borders I-40, if it doesn't go directly beneath it) will be in excellent condition for a large development. The residential project is small when compared with other residential developments going on downtwon but it's the best quality project for LB so far; the bowling alley is yet another entertainment option on the canal and it will have two levels of retail- finally connecting to the urban feeling of upper Bricktown.

TheImmortal
03-28-2006, 08:20 PM
I will have to go wtih swake on this one, while he may be putting an ultra-pessimistic tone to his comments I agree for the most part.

Patrick
03-28-2006, 08:30 PM
I don't think anyone is watching over anything in OKC. You people are getting screwed, badly, and you don't even see it.

Oh, we're watching. It's just OCURA isn't much different from the maphia.

swake
03-29-2006, 09:13 AM
ok, you don't like OCURA, where do they come from, who appoints them and make the rules for them?

The city, mostly the mayor..........and how big an issue was any of this in your mayors campign?

Your mayor also has likely just traded support for Istook (one of the worst congressmen of all time) in the governs race for Istook's support in a congressional race that would mean you have relected a mayor that intended to serve less than ONE year of this current term. It's slimy all the way around. OCURA is just another example.

Your city, but is all this worth a two year visit from an NBA team that may well have ended up in OKC anyway?

metro
03-29-2006, 01:30 PM
swake thanks for gracing us with your wisdom yet again

swake
03-29-2006, 03:58 PM
no problem

Patrick
03-29-2006, 06:39 PM
One has to remember, many of the people on the OCURA board were appointed by mayors of the past. Sure, the current mayor could boot all of the current OCURA off, but I don't think that would make him too popular. THe ordinary OKCian has no clue about the real story behind OCURA.

TStheThird
03-29-2006, 10:55 PM
Swake is the biggest Tulsa troll on the internet. He does not mean to offer criticism. He hates OKC. He is the biggest pro Tulsa homer on the web.

Congrats Swake! You are the man.

swake
03-30-2006, 12:52 AM
Look, mayor could have fired, didin't, his fault.

And, tell me I'm wrong on the Istook deal. slimy, et all......

Patrick
03-30-2006, 07:12 AM
Look, mayor could have fired, didin't, his fault.

And, tell me I'm wrong on the Istook deal. slimy, et all......

I actually completely agree with you swake.

writerranger
03-30-2006, 10:53 AM
It's funny, but I agree with Shane AND some of the pessimism. There is no question that what little real authority the Mayor has was not used effectively during Mick's first term. He DID have an opportunity to change the face of OCURA and the future of Oklahoma City and took a pass. No, it wouldn't have made him popular with some, but it's not his job to be popular, it's to advance the interests of Oklahoma City. The re-election bid and win was wrong if Mick really had his eye on the 5th. With all that said however, there IS still a certain momentum of popular interest in what is happening downtown/Bricktown/LowerBrick, etc. The problem is lack of vision for the FUTURE and the risk of "resting on our laurels." I am optimistic, but a bit jaded with some of the decisions to not make decisions (if that makes sense). While we have every right to be excited at the potential and build on the magnificent progress - we must not let the good 'ole boy network use the prior success to only benefit themselves at the expense of the greater interest of our city.

Bumps along the road, it's certainly not unique to Oklahoma City, but we need to mix the optimism of Shane (in his post above) with the critical eye of watchdogs interested in not allowing backrooms to selfishly hinder future progress.

----------------------------

swake
03-30-2006, 06:05 PM
This is very important for OKC, and if the mayor does leave for congress, urban renewal should be the topic for the upcoming mayor.

Why?

What happens when the crosstown is moved? Lots of land, lots of chances for greatness. But, my guess would be if the current thinking prevails for urban renewal you will just have big box hell.

Sam's/Wal-Mart combo anyone? Hey the idiot LaFortune in Tulsa tried to do that to the East Village in downtown Tulsa, he almost got it donw. It easily could happen in OKC. Don't let it happen.

okclee
03-30-2006, 06:29 PM
I actually agree with Swake. Urban renewal should be a top priority for the Mayor.

This is a great website on Urban life and Suburban Life.
http://www.newurbanism.org

TStheThird
03-30-2006, 06:40 PM
I too agree with Swake on his points in this thread, but he is still the biggest Tulsa homer on the web... which is a good thing for some.

BDP
03-31-2006, 09:35 AM
Swake makes some points, but it is also a very limited view. I hate Lower Bricktown and Hogan as much as the next guy. But that is not the focus of downtown Oklahoma City. It gets a lot of attention because it was a blank canvas that could have been anything and it sucks. Hogan screwed it up, with the city setting the stage with Bass Pro. But it is really a small part of what is going on in terms of OKC’s renewal.

I actually think this new development is the first semi-right step he has made, if he does it right. Bowling alleys sound suburban blah at first, but they have made a huge comeback in many urban centers across the country. They do not cater to blue haired leaguers anymore, but are really very hip bars that happen to have bowling.

I think a problem is the stucco, but then again, slapping new brick on it will not make it look like bricktown, no matter what people think. Honestly, new brick on new buildings look like Edmond, not Bricktown. I think the bigger problem is that it is trying to mesh with a haphazardly planned development in the first place. Even if it was all brick it would be out of place now.

But the bigger picture is that Downtown OKC's urban renewal is not Lower Bricktown, but it is that plus:

Bricktown proper, (which should be seeing some new development on Main St when Walnut opens)
Bricktown Ballpark
The upper canal
The Skrivin
The Colcord
The Ford Center
The Civic Center
The OKCMOA
The Montgomery
Park-Harvey
The Hampton Inn
The Library
Automobile Alley
American Indian Cultural Center
Chesapeake Boathouse and related river activities

With others in line or possible:
The Triangle
The Hill
Mid-town
Tower Theater and Uptown
The Riverside Developments

Lower Bricktown is really just a small and unfortunate part of many spectacular and great things that have happened and are happening. The best part, really, is that OKC has gone from not being much of a city at all to being an extremely well rounded city for its size with many cultural and civic attractions, with many more to come. It is not just a case of building one attraction or facility, hoping it solve all problems, but it has been an act of building a city and it really has been very successful.

As much attention as bricktown and lower bricktown gets, I can honestly say that it's development and success (at least when you look at the numbers, it's a success) has changed my life in OKC the least. The others on that list have effected it and improved it much more. This doesn't mean we should relax on these incompetent developers who are pissing away opportunities to improve it even more, but it also doesn't mean that a stucco bowling alley undoes everything else OKC has done and is doing. They should be ashamed of what they are doing in light of what is going on around them and with what has been given to them, but ignoring the successes of true urban renewal that are happening is exactly what makes these people feel comfortable doing what they do.

The big picture is really that Lower Bricktown sucks more because of the new standards being set all over central OKC. Swake makes good points about what should be done in the future and where the priorities of leadership should lie. The best part, though, is that we actually have examples of what to do in the future.

In my opinion, OCURA, actually should try to not let any development happen in the new space that I-40 will create until greater density is created downtown. Let’s get all of our other assets to be used before we build more. Hotels would be the exception, as we still need more for all of the events we have been getting.

Pete
03-31-2006, 12:19 PM
okclee, thanks for sharing that link.

After reading through the site, I ended up ordering several books on Smart Growth and New Urbanization.

I look forward to reading through them, as this is a subject that should be near and dear to any big civic booster.

floater
03-31-2006, 01:04 PM
I agree with BDP. In the long run, I don't think Lower Bricktown will mean as much to OKlahoma City in the future. I think the four most critical things that have come out of this phase of the city's development have been the Ford Center, Art Museum, canal, and river.

I know Lower Bricktown isn't as urban as we'd like it to be, but it could be worse. The landscaping and trees are nice in the summer and fall, and you have people going to downtown who probably wouldn't have. Teens without much money can go there and have a night on the town just as adults with real income can. They can afford Sonic and go to a movie. To them, this is an urban experience.

The tenants filled in some gaps. Earl's brought in a much-needed BBQ joint to Bricktown. We needed an ice cream shop as well. Toby Keith's is probably as Oklahoman as what we've been able to define what an Oklahoma food experience is. I don't care for how these look, but they're there.

shane453
03-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Average people who don't think about OCURA and design aesthetic and Randy Hogan and urbanity don't think, notice, or care that Lower Bricktown is lower quality architecture and design than Bricktown. They simply see a movie theater, a restaurant owned by a music celebrity (whose name really transcends his country genre now, after the across-the-board popular Honky Tonk Budunkadunk), a nice plaza and fountain, a canal, cheaper places to eat, some with food options that weren't available before... We can still have fun and enjoy Lower Bricktown. It serves its purpose. It just seems terrible to people who actually think about what it should have looked like, or wish it would have looked different.

jbrown84
03-31-2006, 08:43 PM
Actually, once the retail/condo building is done, the western end of Lower Bricktown will actually be pretty dense and nice. You'll have canal level retail, a building taller than the Harkins or Sonic (seems like it would make sense to design the new building as much like the Sonic building as possible), the fountain and plaza. And all this is what is closest to historic Bricktown.

BDP
04-03-2006, 01:09 PM
That's a good point, jbrown. And it is a new development. No matter what kind of historic sheep's clothing they put on it, it will not be historic. And, in the end, all we can do is cross our fingers and hope that Hogan puts some thought into this one, which may actually be the focus of LB, achictectuarally, more so than anything else up to this point. And if retail does pan out, it could be the center of shopping for both districts.

Honestly, at this point, getting rid of black top instead of adding more brick should be our biggest concern. I don't think this one adds any more surface garbage. If he puts the parking underground, I'll have to at least give him a passing grade, even if it's a D.

Pete
04-03-2006, 01:10 PM
At this point, I'd settle for more brick on the condo building.

Otherwise, I've more or less accepted the development for what it is and look forward to more visionary and innovative projects down the road.

jbrown84
04-03-2006, 05:33 PM
I think it will be a major improvement to have a 5-story building there instead of a large, empty lot. Looks really out of place and it's right at the entryway to Bricktown and fronts the canal.

shane453
04-03-2006, 06:34 PM
It's a nice development. I really like it, EIFS or no. The only thing I don't like is that it only has 30 units when it could double that and sell them just as quickly.

John
04-03-2006, 07:07 PM
The only thing I don't like is that it only has 30 units when it could double that and sell them just as quickly.

It's clear to everyone that know Hogan has no concept of the potential of the lower canal area, as seen by the developments currently in place.

Future comments:
[Randy Hogan]Hey, why's everyone hanging out in the Arts Quarter, Automobile Alley, and MidTown?[/Randy Hogan]

:rolleyes:

writerranger
04-04-2006, 03:20 PM
It's clear to everyone that know Hogan has no concept of the potential of the lower canal area, as seen by the developments currently in place.

Future comments:
[Randy Hogan]Hey, why's everyone hanging out in the Arts Quarter, Automobile Alley, and MidTown?[/Randy Hogan]

:rolleyes:

I hear what you're saying , John. I certainly don't want to appear as an apologist for Randy Hogan, but in all fairness, there's no lack of people in Lower Bricktown. I don't think that will change. It's more of a "family" destination and I don't see that changing. Most of the complaints about LB are people like us who pay attention to urban design. The truth is most people in OKC think it's fine.

BDP
04-04-2006, 07:14 PM
but in all fairness, there's no lack of people in Lower Bricktown.

Which is very true. That's why we need to make sure we highlight the other successes that are more in tune with real urban design as much as we condemn people like Hogan. No one can say that a beter plan wouldn't have been even bigger and better drawing much more people. It almost makes you think "man, what if he'd actually done a nice development???"

I enjoy the people it brings and the subsequent energy it helps create, but I can't ever look at the Sonic parking lot which comes right up to within a few yards of the canal and think "is this really what we paid for?"