View Full Version : Dell buys Alienware

MadMonk
03-23-2006, 12:11 PM
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/85312/dell-buys-alienware.html

Looks like Dell can now profit from selling AMD-based systems via Alienware and Alienware can take advantage of Dell's supply-chain infrastructure. Not a bad thing really.

However, one disadvantage that I can think of is Alienware's well-respected customer service being handled in India - there's a good chance of that happening with Dell's planned increased presence there.

Yodachaos
03-27-2006, 04:51 AM
I have to agree on the customer service part is probably going to go down the drain a bit.

Midtowner
03-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Those Indian call centers do not suck. In fact, their techs are FAR more educated than the people in our U.S. based support centers. There's a good chance that if you speak to someone in India on a tech support call that they have one or more graduate degrees.

Now, the El Salvador centers I've spoken with can be another story :)

I do have some complaints about Dell's service.. I have this HD on my office computer which is supposed to be RAID 1 (mirrored). 1 week or so after I got the thing, one of the hard drives tanks. They will not replace it since I can't give them a code. The screen says that my array is out of whack, I can reboot and rebuild for 2 hours if I want, but the hard drive will tank again shortly.

Anyone have any utilities guaranteed to run this thing til I can get an error code?

Yodachaos
03-27-2006, 02:39 PM
when ive called computer support and there centers are in india, I just have a hard time understanding them.