View Full Version : Vista Delay

okcpulse
03-22-2006, 02:05 PM
Vista Delay - okcpulse.com

This is an outrage. An insult, and only an extra four weeks. But the idea that Windows Vista will not be released to the conusmer world until January 2007 has many people disappointed, and PC manufacturers must now recalculate their sales projections as Windows Vista will not be in our Christmas stockings as we had originally hoped. With Microsoft's massive amount of resources, enough wealth to feed an entire third world country for a year, and the strength to hire a couple of hundred more developers to speed this up, its a laugh that Microsoft has delayed Vista again. This time, their excuse is 'quality' concerns. Gates would rather be safe than sorry, so another four weeks of tweaking won't hurt the retail world. But it will.

Many retailers were counting on a boost in sales from new Vista PCs, and computer retailers were looking forward to selling dozens of new copies of Vista to upgrade buyers such as myself. As I begin laying the foundation for an independent film studio geared at producing movies that will be set in Oklahoma City and the rest of Oklahoma, I needed Vista to test performance with non-linear video editing during post-production, since I plan to do some digital video editing myself. The plan was to have Vista on a newly built PC before Christmas before I publish my first screenplay. However, with this next delay of Vista, I am considering moving all of my development projects to the Mac platform. I just really hate to pay the Apple tax. Yes, everyone knows about the Microsoft tax. But there IS an Apple tax. It involves buying an entire system manufactured by Apple. I could build my own Apple computer, but a G5 Logic Motherboard goes for $679 retail. That would explain the expensive price for a Power Mac G5. Then there is that tight marriage of Mac OS X to an Apple computer. Thus, your Apple tax.

So, what are we to do? We're all tired of keeping XP running with all kinds of band-aids. It won't matter for basic users, who just use a PC for e-mail and playing solitaire. For us power users, Windows XP is five years old. We feel the day is over. Many power users are not as excited about Vista as I am, but I've been following the Longhorn project for three years now. Three years! All of my Windows classes I have taken to become network and MCSA certified keep me bonded to Windows, but everything else I do can be done on Mac. As I said, a four week delay doesn't hurt, but we all now know for sure Vista will not be around this fall as some of us were hoping. By that I mean October.

www.okcpulse.com

MadMonk
03-22-2006, 03:26 PM
From a Slashdot article:

Oddly, even though they are citing the need for more time to tweak security, business editions will available to volume licensing customers before the close of the year.

That little tidbit worries me a little. It needs security tweaks, but its secure enough for the high-volume business users?

Luke
03-23-2006, 02:46 PM
As an Apple user since I've been using computers, I had to chuckle at this.

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

MadMonk
03-23-2006, 03:53 PM
I did. ;)

okcpulse
03-23-2006, 04:04 PM
I do not ever plan to go Mac. Once you're a custom PC builder, you'll hate that you can't really 'build' your own Mac. And if they didn't charge both arms and a leg for Power Macs, maybe I'd consider buying one.