View Full Version : Pedicabs coming downtown

metro
03-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Can't believe no one has posted this yet but here you go. I'll provide the link to the article.

http://newsok.com/article/1793547/?template=business/main

You can also catch a picture on today's main business section of Newsok.com. Basically, Pedicabs, or pedaled bicycle taxis will hit the streets of Bricktown, the CBD, and the Arts District this week. Great to see more alternative transporation models coming online downtown.

escan
03-22-2006, 11:54 AM
When I worked for the Chamber a few years ago, I thought we had them then. They officed out of the bottom of Santa Fe parking....did I dream this?

floater
03-22-2006, 04:09 PM
When I worked for the Chamber a few years ago, I thought we had them then. They officed out of the bottom of Santa Fe parking....did I dream this?

We did have them, but not for very long. I don't know what happened.

metro
03-22-2006, 05:37 PM
escan, no you did not dream that. if you go on to read the newsok article, you will find it mentioned they were once tried before, back in 1998, before most of the MAPS projects where really off the ground. Hopefully with the completion of all of the projects and the momentum going now, it will work this time.

hipsterdoofus
03-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Is this going to turn into the Seinfeld episode with Neumann and Kramer and the Rickshaws?

floater
03-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Is this going to turn into the Seinfeld episode with Neumann and Kramer and the Rickshaws?

I should have known hipsterdoofus was going to ask this question. Hopefully not! I don't think the homeless would make a good fit as rickshaw drivers ;)

HFK
04-03-2006, 12:01 AM
I wonder if they'll work out here? I've ridden in one while in Manhattan: it got me to a play on time, much quicker than a taxi-cab would have. The traffic, mostly cabs, was bumper-to-bumper, and every one of the cabs had a fare. There were-dozen groups outside the hotel waiting for the doorman to get transport, and I knew I'd never make it to the Theater on time if I had to wait my turn. I began to walk and, luckily, happened across a pedi-cab. He was quick and, I think, crazier than the average NYC cabbie.

What surprised me about Manhattan, and also helped to explain the numerous pedi-cabs there was that, despite an endless numbers of cabs, in the evenings it can be very difficult to find one available

Anyway, as I said, I wonder if our culture can support pedi-cabs? There still seems to be plenty of parking, and a lack of traffic-jams (or am I just out-of-touch?). Bricktown is still compact enough to walk between attractions...

Subvertia
04-03-2006, 08:44 AM
He was quick and, I think, crazier than the average NYC cabbie.[QUOTE]
Crazier than average? And you still got in? ;)

[QUOTE=HFK]Anyway, as I said, I wonder if our culture can support pedi-cabs? There still seems to be plenty of parking, and a lack of traffic-jams (or am I just out-of-touch?). Bricktown is still compact enough to walk between attractions...

I believe our culture can support this idea. We're actually generating an area for people that would normallly leave town to be active.

I think it's a marvelous idea, and people would use them in bricktown. With the new Marriot going in next to Sonic, out-of-towners could pedicab to the different events and such.
I also know that my husband and I would use them out of sheer laziness! It seems the East side of Bricktown is really beginning to develop, as well as the downtown areas that have become deserted.

Now if we can just work on increasing the amount of vendor licenses, we may actually be a normal town!!

Midtowner
04-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Marriot? You mean Residence Inn?

Or was it Hampton Inn? It's some second-rate chain and the name escapes me.

BDP
04-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Anyway, as I said, I wonder if our culture can support pedi-cabs? There still seems to be plenty of parking, and a lack of traffic-jams (or am I just out-of-touch?). Bricktown is still compact enough to walk between attractions...

It does seem a little ridiculous given the size of our downtown and the little traffic that it generates. I'll never use one, because I like walking, but I think they'll work. I think the novelty combined with the area's persception of what constitutes a long walk will make them work.

Now, if the work late enough and with go from the arts district to Bricktown, I think it will be a great thing and may actually make some practical sense beyond a novelty attraction. It would make eating on the east side and going to an event on the west side feasible without parking twice.

Subvertia
04-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Marriot? You mean Residence Inn?

Or was it Hampton Inn? It's some second-rate chain and the name escapes me.

I would expect nothing but a second-rate chain underneath a highway, across from a ballpark, and next to Bass Pro Shops...

Right, like an Omni is going to build in that location? :spin:
My point remains the same.