View Full Version : I'm so excited!

bandnerd
03-20-2006, 04:48 PM
I found out today I actually get to put my instrumental music ed degree to use! My principal asked me if I was able to teach orchestra and I said "I'm certified to!" and he told me that he wants a full-time instrumental music teacher, that it is best for the kids (I'm so glad he realizes that) and the current two teachers will be student teaching next year, anyway.

So my classes are as follows: Band, Orchestra, Yearbook, and Newspaper.

My life will revolve around deadlines! :doh:

But that's okay. I've done very well recruiting good kids for the journalism department for next year so hopefully those classes will become much more self-sufficient and I can focus on the music stuff!

And I won't be teaching computer applications anymore!

Horray!

Randy
03-20-2006, 05:04 PM
I found out today I actually get to put my instrumental music ed degree to use! My principal asked me if I was able to teach orchestra and I said "I'm certified to!" and he told me that he wants a full-time instrumental music teacher, that it is best for the kids (I'm so glad he realizes that) and the current two teachers will be student teaching next year, anyway.

But that's okay. I've done very well recruiting good kids for the journalism department for next year so hopefully those classes will become much more self-sufficient and I can focus on the music stuff!

Horray!

:yourock: You go, girl. Congratulations.:congrats:

Keith
03-20-2006, 06:07 PM

Horray!
That's great, bandnerd. it's always a sense of accomplishment when you are finally able to use your degree that you worked so hard for. I'm happy for you. ;)

OklaCity_75
03-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Congrats BandNerd..... Glad to here the good news.

I was on the yearbook staff at Westmoore my sophmore, junior and senior year.

Do you publish through Jostens? If so is Matt Kutch still around. I miss those days of deadlines and mandatory Mondays. You will definitely forge some everlasting bonds with your students. Our advisor was like a Coach/Mom/Boss.

Best of luck to you.

bandnerd
03-20-2006, 07:10 PM
We're currently using Herff Jones. I'm not thrilled about the customer service, and my rep is a bit of a flake, but I'm willing to give it another year and see how it goes now that I know more of what I am doing.

And yes--the bond in that room is really cool, especially because I only have 5 students, currently. One of them even made a "yearbook" family on his Sims 2 game lol.

The same thing often happens with instrumental music groups, because of all the extra time spent together. I do love the kids at that school, most of them are really good kids who definitely deserve the chance to do well with their lives.

Thanks for all the congrats!

Karried
03-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Way to go!! Congratulations and best wishes.. great teachers are so awesome... I hope you never lose your enthusiasm.. we need more teachers like you!

Midtowner
03-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Teaching band and orchestra, you'll soon find out how much better orchestra kids really are.

I just want you to approach it with an open mind...

bandnerd
03-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Whatever, Mid ;)

You know I've already subbed for that class, anyway, and it went well.

I'll have them worshiping the ground I conduct on.

Patrick
04-26-2006, 08:25 PM
Well, since some of your students are on here now, I guess you can give us the low down on what type of students they are. LOL! Just kidding.

{la_resistance}
04-26-2006, 08:42 PM
Well, I'm glad you are moving on to bigger and better things. I consider having a job you truly love, real success.

bandnerd
04-26-2006, 08:48 PM
The thing is, is this news isn't public to the school yet. Very hush hush.

CaptainAmerica
04-26-2006, 10:34 PM
mums the word sort of thing eh?

Patrick
04-26-2006, 10:38 PM
I think what she's trying to say is you better keep quiet about it, or you're going to see a drastic change on your report card at the end of the semester. LOL! Totally joking.

bandnerd
04-27-2006, 05:54 AM
Yes, mum's the word. I got in trouble so much last year at my first job, I'm really enjoying being the "good girl" this year and I don't want to jeopardize it now!

{la_resistance}
04-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Don't worry I won't do anything.