View Full Version : Dog meat

Jack
03-20-2006, 03:47 PM
We obviously have an overabundance of dogs in the city. It blows my mind why we put these dogs down and waste them, when many of them have plenty of meat on their bones. And there are plenty of Chinese restaurants out there off 23rd St. that would love to buy them. So there's a place for pound puppies in the food market. Instead of wasting money running an animal shelter, why doesn't the city of OKC simply sell the dogs to these restaurants. Thoughts?

Jack
03-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Here are some examples:

http://www.enchbyench.com/peridot/hot_dog.jpg

http://i.frazpc.pl/ftp/funy/Hot%20dog.jpg

http://www.fpolis.com.br/fpolis/galera/humor/imagens/Hot%20dog%20(2).jpg

Jack
03-20-2006, 04:07 PM
South Korea has thousands of dog meat restaurants

Animal rights activists in South Korea have held a rally in the capital Seoul to protest against the custom of eating dog meat.
Protesters burnt pictures of two South Korean legislators who have led a campaign to legalise the practice.
The demonstration was organised to counter moves by restaurant owners who on Friday launched a national federation to protect the eating of dog meat.
Defenders of the custom say eating dogs is part of Korea's culture, just as pigeons and snails are eaten in some Western countries.
Dog soup
The several dozen protesters chanted "Stop abusing animals" and displayed pictures of skinned dogs at the rally in a Seoul park. http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1785000/images/_1785106_cageddog150.jpg
Some people believe dog meat improves strength and virility

Dogs are specially bred in South Korea to be eaten - notably in "poshintang", which literally means "body preservation stew".
Afficionados say it is good for health, and some consider it a delicacy.
Foreign activists have criticised the illegal way in which some dogs are killed to make the meat more tender - by beating, burning or hanging. Such methods are now officially banned.
It is estimated that only 16% of dogs in South Korea are bred as pets.
World Cup
The issue of eating dog meat has come to a head in the run-up to the World Cup football tournament in May.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1785000/images/_1785106_dogmeat150.jpg
Dogs are specially bred to be eaten

In November, FIFA President Sepp Blatter urged South Koreans to stop eating dog meat during the World Cup.
The practice has also been denounced by the French actress turned animal rights activist, Brigitte Bardot.

South Korea banned dog restaurants during the 1988 Seoul Olympics, invoking a law prohibiting the sale of foods deemed unsightly.
Dozens of members of the South Korean parliament have introduced legislation to formally legalise dog meat. But the majority of MPs do not support it and it seems unlikely to become law.

Jack
03-20-2006, 04:09 PM
Roadkill Cafe

you kill it
we Grill it

Eating is more fun
when the food was hit on the run

Entrees
Centerline Bovine.................................... $10.95

tastes good from the hood
The Chicken........................................... ...$5.92

who didn't cross the road

Flat Cat............................................... .....$3.96

served as a single or in a stack
Canine Cuisine
you'll eat like a hog when you taste our dog
Slab of lab............................................... .$4.95
Pit Bull Pot Pie..........................................$3.94
Cocker Cutlets.........................................$7 .93
Shar-pei Filets............................................ $1.65
Poodles and noodles..............................$2.68
Snippet of whippet......................................$5.41
Collie hit by a trolley..............................$6.91
German Shepard pie...................................$8.54
Round of Hound.......................................$9.99

A Taste of the wild

Chunk of skunk
$1.95
Whippoorwill
on a grill
$3.35
Smidgen of Pigeon
$1.95
Narrow Sparrow
$.55
Road Toad a la mode
$1.54
Rigor Mortis Tortoise
$6.93
Shake and bake Snake
$2.45
Swirl of Squirrel
$1.55

Guess the Mess
guess what it is and it's free
all you can eat

Late Night Delight
Rack of Raccoon .......................$3.95
Smear of Deer.............................$4.95
Awsome Possum.........................$5.95
Armadillo on the half shell
.................................................. ....$12.95

On the corner of Walk and Don'tWalk

Jack
03-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Food is an option:

Meeting focuses on pet foster care

CLINTON -- Jimmy Wilson of Clinton will speak on pet foster care at Monday's meeting of Custer County Friends for Life Animal Sanctuary.
The meeting is scheduled for 6 p.m. at the Cherokee Restaurant and is open to the public.
Wilson said many times people aren't sure what to do when keeping a pet becomes impossible for them. Foster care is an option.
Wilson has provided foster care for dozens of animals and will share some of his experiences.
The group's focus is to raise money to build an area animal sanctuary. The land has been donated, but additional funds are needed to build and operate it. For more information, call (580) 772-5045. Tax-deductible donations may be mailed to 1223 N Illinois, Weatherford, OK 73096.

Randy
03-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Here are some examples:

http://www.enchbyench.com/peridot/hot_dog.jpg

http://i.frazpc.pl/ftp/funy/Hot%20dog.jpg

http://www.fpolis.com.br/fpolis/galera/humor/imagens/Hot%20dog%20(2).jpg
Hey, is that a "hot" dog, or a cold wienie dog? Don't you know that many chinese restaurants back up to veterinary clinics?

Those are some pretty cool pictures, Jack. I didn't realiza that dog was a delicacy item in some countries. This is a really educational forum.

Ms.Relaxationstation
03-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Ohhh my...that just AIN'T right....UGGGG

Patrick
03-20-2006, 10:07 PM
Not right, but true.

GrandMaMa
03-20-2006, 10:10 PM
We obviously have an overabundance of dogs in the city. It blows my mind why we put these dogs down and waste them, when many of them have plenty of meat on their bones. And there are plenty of Chinese restaurants out there off 23rd St. that would love to buy them. So there's a place for pound puppies in the food market. Instead of wasting money running an animal shelter, why doesn't the city of OKC simply sell the dogs to these restaurants. Thoughts?

You've been eating too much canine chow mein.

rxis
04-20-2006, 10:10 PM
some parts of south america eat cat and dog...africa too...i wonder why we dont hear so much about the practice there...perhaps because Korea is more of a developed country.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the ppl eating cats and dogs. They are animals. btw, ive never tried it and i wont ever because id just be weirded out. heh

GrandMaMa
04-21-2006, 04:10 PM
some parts of south america eat cat and dog...africa too...i wonder why we dont hear so much about the practice there...perhaps because Korea is more of a developed country.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the ppl eating cats and dogs. They are animals. btw, ive never tried it and i wont ever because id just be weirded out. heh

I agree. We all tend (Americans) to judge other cultures by our own, as if ours were the yardstick. I have never knowingly eaten horse meat, dog or cat, but I wouldn't go hungry too long if that was plentiful. Raising 4 sons, we had a rule, "You kill it, you eat it." You wouldn't believe what kinds of things they would drag in, thinking that surely I wouldn't cook that. I think the last straw was the water turtle that they brought home...It cooked for two days in the crock pot, and made the house smell like someone had died there. When we looked into the top of the pot, the meat had fallen away from the bones and it looked just like I had cooked a snake, really! We made a deal, we would have pizza that night if they wouldn't bring any more of that stuff home for me to cook. It's one thing to eat a rabbit or even a squirrel, but to take something out of it's natural environment just to see if mom would back down, is not acceptable.

Patrick
04-22-2006, 10:24 AM
I have never knowingly eaten horse meat, dog or cat, but I wouldn't go hungry too long if that was plentiful. Raising 4 sons, we had a rule, "You kill it, you eat it." You wouldn't believe what kinds of things they would drag in, thinking that surely I wouldn't cook that.

So, if you were really hungry and another human was your only option, would you eat it?

GrandMaMa
04-22-2006, 10:38 AM
So, if you were really hungry and another human was your only option, would you eat it?

Under certain circumstances, YES! One would be that I nor anyone else had to kill the human to eat, secondly, I would have to have no alternative, and thirdly, it would be much easier if I had children that I was responsible for and had nothng else to feed them. I would note my appreciation for their contribution to my sustenance, just as I do when I eat meat from other sources, especially if I was the one that had to take the life of that particular animal.

Uptown
04-22-2006, 10:41 AM
What if you and one other human were the only living things left on the planet?

GrandMaMa
04-22-2006, 12:14 PM
What if you and one other human were the only living things left on the planet?

I would have to consider just how important it would be to become the last living thing on the planet..when you say living, I assume that you mean anything, not just humans, animals, etc. Then, if I decided that it was worth living, I would make an honest attempt to not be the first to die.