View Full Version : NCAA wrestling championships

metro
03-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Has anyone gone yet or have any comments/thoughts on the national tournament in town this weekend? It should be quite an economic boost to the city's coffers.

BDP
03-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Is it really that big of a deal?

The Big 12 basketball tournament next year will be huge, imo.

venture
03-17-2006, 04:14 PM
Should add quite a few kids to the typical young crowd down there I would think. Sucks that they get to enjoy it in less than perfect weather. Well less than perfect for anyone but an Okie, as you know we are all going nuts over seeing wet stuff fall from the sky. :)

workman45
03-18-2006, 09:35 AM
It must be fairly big. My brother came over Thursday night so he wouldn't have to get up at the crack of dawn to play golf in Norman Friday morning. I don't have a spare bed so he tied to rent a room. He got the last room available in Purcell, there was nothing available in the metro area. This is very good for the local economy.

BDP
03-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Yes, I think I underestimated this event. Unfortunetaly, TS pointed out that we can't really pull it off yet. I hope it goes much better with the Big 12 basketball torunament next year. I think it will be a much bigger tes for us. Hopfully, one year will make a big difference.

These committees weigh public reaction a lot when making these decisions. It's a lot harder to convince them later that all the shortcomings at the first event have been fixed.

ksearls
03-21-2006, 12:41 PM
BDP,

I think you are jumping to conclusions saying we didn't "pull it off" because of one negative report regarding one business. Let's see what other reports we get.

Kim

metro
03-21-2006, 12:46 PM
BDP, yes although you and I might not be that interested in wrestling, supposively it had/was expected to have a greater economic impact than the regional basketball tournaments. More demand for hotels, more of a committed following, more money spent on food and alcohol, etc. Not to mention they had outdoor tents and festivals going along as well as the St. Patricks festival going on in Bricktown during the tournament. The biggest complaint from last years NCAA was no outdoor festivals, etc. Let's not jump the gun too soon

jbrown84
03-29-2006, 08:10 PM
From the Oklahoman letters to the editor:

City Visit Enjoyable Experience

I was recently in Oklahoma City to watch the NCAA Wrestling Championships. The tournament organizers and all those involved made this the best of many national championships that I have attended. Most importantly I want to say that the people of Oklahoma City are what made my four days in Oklahoma a truly enjoyable experience. Everyone was helpful and friendly; from the rental car agency clerks, the city trolley drivers, the hotel staff, and mostly the neighborly folks working at the Ford Center.

Each person I encountered displayed a deep pride and love for their city. They proudly spoke of the accomplishments and improvements the city has made in the past few years. They talked of future projects with great anticipation and all the while praising the leadership of the city planners.

As a baby boomer contemplating retirement, I am now seriously considering Oklahoma City the place to live out my retirement years. Your city has a lot to offer, and I look forward to comin back to help support all the good things that you have going. I hope to see ya'll soon!

- Marlin Moreno
Stockton, Calif.

Sounds like we pulled it off to me.