View Full Version : Oklahoma City facts/figures/information

OUman
03-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Hey guys, I've been following developments on this site. The main site is www.nationmaster.com (http://www.nationmaster.com) and you can get facts/figures/info on pretty much anything you want on pretty much any city, nation, airport, etc in the world.

So if you want to check stuff on Oklahoma City, you can either go to the main page and do a search for it, or just click on this link: http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Oklahoma-City

It's really surprisingly accurate for the sheer number of facts and amount of information the site has for stuff around the world. I found out some stuff about Oklahoma City that I didn't know of. Sure, there are some errors and missed info here and there, but everything's being updated on a constant basis. Thought I would link it here.

OUman

BDP
03-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Interesting site. I love resources like that and it's nice to have them all in one place.

Do you know how the information is gathered? Is it researched and sourced or is it kind of a Wikipedia free-for-all type deal with users editing the information?

MadMonk
03-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Nice site! Thanks for sharing. ;)

windowphobe
03-17-2006, 04:50 PM
In fact, much of the stuff seems to be lifted directly from Wikipedia.

Disclosure: Yours truly has been a Wikipedia contributor in recent months.

OUman
03-17-2006, 06:40 PM
Nation Master does have a lot of stuff in common with Wikipedia, but is much more detailed when it comes to crime stats, birth, death, carjacking stats etc etc. And it is essentially centered around nations and cities rather than everything like Wikipedia is. It also hires its own editors and contributors.

OUman

Karried
03-17-2006, 08:57 PM
I liked that site.. thanks, I think I'll forward the following info on Edmond to them.. the city was mentioned but not too detailed..

this just came out Edmond Economic 2006 - pretty good news...

http://www.eeda.com/files/Download/4041url.pdf

jbrown84
03-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Yeah I guess they've added a lot of stats but it's almost identical to the Wikipedia entry on OKC.

windowphobe
03-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Still, there's some advantage to having all this stuff together, even if some of it is borrowed; all else being equal, the fewer jumps you have to make to complete your research, the better.

HOT ROD
03-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Plus its nice to see sights discuss the facts about OKC, even if they borrow from each other. Its better to have a common positive (and correct) message than to continue the old myths and legends.

I remember reading something published in 1995 that still described OKC as the old west, boring, with not much to do. Well, the person who wrote it obviously didnt get around/outside of downtown much; as even then there is much for OKC to be proud of (from a big city point of view).

Definitely that IS the case today and its nice for the word to get printed correctly. That in itself is a renaissance!