View Full Version : IMAX to AMC 24 at Quail Springs...

SoonerDave
03-16-2006, 07:15 PM
..newspaper announced a couple of months ago that the AMC in Quail Springs would be getting a full-fledged, real IMAX theater in the coming months. Haven't heard on a "ground breaking," however. Anyone know any details on schedule?

BTW - This is a super site! Its great to have a place to talk about OKC!!

-SoonerDave

Pete
03-16-2006, 08:27 PM
I don't know the answer to your question but did want to say, "Welcome!".

This is a great forum with lots of bright people that really love OKC. It's certainly the place to come to get the scoop about what's going on around town and there are lots of good ideas expressed here.

Hope you'll continue to contribute.

metro
03-17-2006, 02:10 PM
last I heard September 06 was the completion date

Patrick
03-20-2006, 09:00 AM
Good question. Have to remember that The Oklahoman tends to go overboard on articles. AMC is adding several IMAX's to their theaters, but not 100% sure if Quail Springs is getting one. I'll email AMC.

jbrown84
03-20-2006, 12:32 PM
At the time of that article, AMC also mentioned that OKC was getting IMAX along with several other cities in a press release on their website. But at the time they said it would be done by last November. Obviously it has been delayed or something.

metro
12-18-2007, 10:14 AM
Tue December 18, 2007

Quail Springs' new IMAX theater will open in 2009

By Trisha Evans
Business Writer
It's not your daddy's IMAX Theater.
In 2009, local moviegoers will have the chance to see Hollywood blockbusters like "Transformers” and "I am Legend,” in IMAX and IMAX 3-D formats.

A 13-screen cinema and IMAX Auditorium has been planned for Quail Springs Village, a mixed-use development that will be built near Quail Springs Mall.

"This is our first unique product coming in, so we're really excited,” developer Larry Owsley said. "It's going to be the coolest thing that could happen to Oklahoma City.”

Owsley said the theater is an important part of Quail Springs Village, an Italian-theme lifestyle center. The multiphased development will include an open-air shopping center, upscale retail and housing, as well as restaurants and other entertainment destinations.

Dickinson Theatres Inc. plans to break ground on the theater spring 2008 for a spring 2009 opening.

"The 525-seat IMAX auditorium will place Oklahoma City's moviegoers into the center of the action and immerse them into images and sounds so intense, they will almost feel them,” said John Hartley, chief executive for Dickinson Theaters.

Jack Poessiger, a spokesman for Dickinson Theaters, said the Hollywood version of IMAX has become a "phenomenon” in the United States, Europe, Japan and Korea.

"People really search them out,” he said. "This past weekend ‘I am Legend' opened in the IMAX theaters ... and those box office figures went through the roof.”

He said customers are willing to pay about $2 more per movie because they're getting more, such as larger screen, 15,000 watts of digital sound, clarity and IMAX quality.

He said the IMAX screen is curved and extends beyond the viewers' peripheral vision and places viewers in the center of the action. The 3-D IMAX format is a whole new experience, he said.

"It's pretty spectacular. You literally get out of the way. It's not a gimmick anymore. Some of these films are shot in a way to really suck you into it, not like in the first 3-D films years ago, where they would just throw spears at you for effect,” he said. "Even in ‘Beowulf' ... the effect of 3-D literally sucked you into the story.

"It's really something you have to experience,” he said.

Poessiger said the theater also will show science and adventure films during earlier operating hours.

The total cost of the complex has not been determined, Poessiger said.

Dickinson Theatres owns the rights to show all IMAX science and Hollywood film products in the Oklahoma City area.

metro
12-18-2007, 10:21 AM
"This is our first unique product coming in, so we're really excited,” developer Larry Owsley said. "It's going to be the coolest thing that could happen to Oklahoma City.”

This developer must not have much vision. IMAX for OKC being the coolest thing that could possibly happen to OKC?? We already have things more exciting going on than an IMAX. I wish our developers would dream a little more of what could be although this should hopefully be a good development.

jbrown84
12-18-2007, 03:27 PM
Dickinson Theatres owns the rights to show all IMAX science and Hollywood film products in the Oklahoma City area.

That's interesting. Then why was AMC planning to put one in at Quail?

Also interesting that Dickinson will go head to head with the most popular theatre in town.

solitude
12-18-2007, 03:42 PM
That center could be interesting. I'm surprised as well that it's Dickinson doing the theater and IMAX, but sounds like a good anchor for the new center. This is the first I've heard of it being "Italian-themed" (maybe I just missed it) but that sounds pretty cool as well. We'll see.

redland
12-18-2007, 03:42 PM
AMC announced a few years ago that they were adding IMAX screens to several existing cinemas, and Oklhoma City Quail Springs was one of those listed. They did in fact effect the conversion in several of the cities (e.g, Kansas City, Detroit); however the plans for Oklahoma City and Omaha were dropped. With the announcement of the new Dickinson 13-screen cinema in The Village at Quail Springs, includeing a 3-D IMAX theater, I don't think we'll be seeing IMAX at AMC here.

venture
12-18-2007, 04:17 PM
This came out on the 7th, where AMC & IMAX signed a new 100-screen deal at most of their top venues. Oklahoma City is not included.

AMC Theatres (http://www.investor.amctheatres.com/ReleaseDetail.cfm?ReleaseID=280307)

Karried
12-18-2007, 04:49 PM
however the plans for Oklahoma City and Omaha were dropped. With the announcement of the new Dickinson 13-screen cinema in The Village at Quail Springs, includeing a 3-D IMAX theater, I don't think we'll be seeing IMAX at AMC here.

That makes sense.. Quail Springs AMC Theater is about three minutes from the new proposed site.

I'm so excited about this.. I live just a few miles away. It will be nice to see 3D movies.

jbrown84
12-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Well, Harkins is now equipped for 3D.

solitude
12-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Well, Harkins is now equipped for 3D.

Are there competing 3D systems? Are movies in 3D period or in some sort of proprietary IMAX 3D? Excuse my ignorance.

fromdust
12-18-2007, 08:32 PM
can we do 2 theaters that close together?

Karried
12-18-2007, 08:33 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking.. sounds strange.. literally, walking distance from one another.. across a parking lot.

CuatrodeMayo
12-18-2007, 09:09 PM
Italian-themed...in the middle of an Oklahoma wheat field. Nice. Welcome to DisneyLand.

dismayed
12-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Where exactly is Quail Springs Village going to be located? North of the mall?

jbrown84
12-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Are there competing 3D systems? Are movies in 3D period or in some sort of proprietary IMAX 3D? Excuse my ignorance.

I don't think there's any difference. other than the size of course.

Where exactly is Quail Springs Village going to be located? North of the mall?

In the field north of the mall.

Ginkasa
12-19-2007, 12:44 AM

3D movies at Harkins Theatres are shown on a digital projector using the RealD system. I don't know how IMAX differs from that...

redland
12-19-2007, 04:57 AM
can we do 2 theaters that close together?

It does seem to fly in the face of common sense, and I'm sure AMC Quail Springs will suffer a hefty decline at the box office. However, we need look no further than Tulsa to see a similar situation which has survived through the years. In Tulsa AMC Southroads 20 and Hollywood Palace 12 are right across the street from each other and compete for first run films. They have both thrived, and one result has been an increase in independent (or "art") films, particularly at Southroads, since there is not enough Hollywood product to feed them both. (In any case I think I will continue to prefer Harkins Bricktown in our reviving downtown.)

solitude
12-19-2007, 01:13 PM
There was also the old General Cinema on the west side of Quail Springs Mall and the AMC which was across the street from the mall on the east side. That goes back a few years.

jbrown84
12-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Good point. Those two co-existed back when theatres were smaller.

metro
12-19-2007, 03:15 PM
There was also the old General Cinema on the west side of Quail Springs Mall and the AMC which was across the street from the mall on the east side. That goes back a few years.

Yeah, the old AMC is now some Antique Mall.

jbrown84
12-19-2007, 03:37 PM
No the old General Cinema is the Antique Mall. The AMC sat where PF Changs and Bravo! now are.

redland
12-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Yes, the old AMC Memorial Square was at the corner of Memorial and Western, more than a mile east of the Quail Springs mall and two miles east of the old General Cinema Quail Springs 6.

solitude
12-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Yes, the old AMC Memorial Square was at the corner of Memorial and Western, more than a mile east of the Quail Springs mall and two miles east of the old General Cinema Quail Springs 6.

It was Memorial and Penn - not Western. The two theaters were separated only by the mall and Penn Avenue.
http://aycu08.webshots.com/image/37487/2004238030769172334_rs.jpg

CuatrodeMayo
12-20-2007, 06:51 AM
I freakin went to movies there when I was a kid.

jbrown84
12-20-2007, 01:28 PM
It was Memorial and Penn - not Western. The two theaters were separated only by the mall and Penn Avenue.

Right. Like I said, it was where PF Changs now is.

solitude
12-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Right. Like I said, it was where PF Changs now is.

I was just responding to redland who said it was at Western.

Hey, I'm going to Atonement tomorrow night! It's at AMC Quail starting tomorrow. I'm seeing it based on your suggestion. I read a little about it and it sounds like Keira Knightley does a super job. Thanks for the tip!

jbrown84
12-20-2007, 04:04 PM
I was just responding to redland who said it was at Western.

Hey, I'm going to Atonement tomorrow night! It's at AMC Quail starting tomorrow. I'm seeing it based on your suggestion. I read a little about it and it sounds like Keira Knightley does a super job. Thanks for the tip!

Yeah I knew you were I was just reinforcing your point. I will be going to Atonement tomorrow night too! Hope you like it.