View Full Version : Contact lenses

Patrick
03-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Anyone here wear contact lenses? For that past month I've been trying to get adjusted to wearing contacts. I've tried SofLens 66 Torics and Acuvue Advance for Astigmatism. I've given up after a day or two, because it seems like I can constantly feel the lenses in my eyes, which is annoying. I think I may be about read to give up and just stick with glasses.

If anyone has any advice, please let me know.

BricktownGuy
03-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Patrick:

I have worn contacts for about 8 years now. When I first started, for about 3-4 weeks I felt the contact on my eye. After the first few weeks, it passed.

You may ask your doctor to try a even different lense for you. I have worn Biomedics and also Acuvue 2. I have now switched to O2OPTIX. I find these lenses to be far more comfortable and plus they allow 5 times more oxygen to reach the eye than other lenses. Check with your doctor I am not sure if they are available for Astigmatism. As with everything, everyone's eyes are different.

Hope that helps.

Patrick
03-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Patrick:

I have worn contacts for about 8 years now. When I first started, for about 3-4 weeks I felt the contact on my eye. After the first few weeks, it passed.

You may ask your doctor to try a even different lense for you. I have worn Biomedics and also Acuvue 2. I have now switched to O2OPTIX. I find these lenses to be far more comfortable and plus they allow 5 times more oxygen to reach the eye than other lenses. Check with your doctor I am not sure if they are available for Astigmatism. As with everything, everyone's eyes are different.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Bricktownguy.....maybe I just need to give it more time.

Actually, Acuvue Advance is similar to O2OPTIX....they're both silicone lenses. I've tried them as well. I guess I just need to give it more adjustment time than just a few days!

markar
03-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Give it a bit longer Patrick. I think it took about 2 weeks before they felt comfortable to me. That's taking them out every night. During the first 4-5 days I thought I'd never get used to them.

Patrick
03-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Give it a bit longer Patrick. I think it took about 2 weeks before they felt comfortable to me. That's taking them out every night. During the first 4-5 days I thought I'd never get used to them.

Thanks markar for the encouragement. I gave up after 3 days, but I guess I'll start over again! :)

escan
03-20-2006, 02:38 PM
I wore them for 15+ years, starting at age 12. I just got LASIK and am so glad to not have to fiddle with lenses or glasses ever again. That being said....give it a bit Patrick. You'll get used to them! Good luck!

MadMonk
03-20-2006, 02:58 PM
I have astigmatism as well and tried contacts. I'm a big wuss and can't stand anything in my eyes so it was three days of torture for me. Let us know if you are successful and what you eventually are successful with. ;)

markar
03-20-2006, 03:10 PM
To be honest , there are still times after 5 years of use where they bug me a little bit. I can go for days/weeks and not notice them at all but then for whatever reason I realize they are there and it's a bit annoying. Generally though that is when I am tired or I've been outside in the wind a lot. Not sure if it's normal but when I'm tired my eyes get kind of "sticky" which apparently doesn't allow the lens to move with my eye as good so I can feel it. Nothing painful but just annoying.

To me they are still better than glasses but I can see where some people might not want to make the change. I wore glasses for about 20 years before getting one of those "$99 special" coupons from the paper and trying them.

Have considered LASIK but I'm still too chicken at this point to have anything done. Maybe somebody could start another thread related to the various sight improvement processes and describe their experiences with them.

Yodachaos
03-27-2006, 04:55 AM
ive worn contacts for about 8 years now as well, and I love them.
So glad I decided to switch to contacts. they do take a few weeks to adjust as others have said.