View Full Version : Anyone hear of "Old San Francisco" ....

SoonerDave
03-15-2006, 02:11 PM
A few years ago, there was discussion that an Old San Francisco Steak House was going to open up in Bricktown, but it never materialized. Anybody ever hear why? If you aren't famililar with OSF, it's a steakhouse built in the style of a gold-rush-era "saloon," with costumed waiters/waitresses and a girl that rides a "red velvet swing" to the rooftops and rings a bell, every twenty minutes or so.

I used to love OSF in Dallas, but it has gone through several new owners over the last few years and it's not quite as special as it used to be. That said, I'd love to see an alternative to Mickey Mantle's as a steakhouse in Bricktown.

-SoonerDave

John
03-15-2006, 02:56 PM
An Old San Francisco in Bricktown, or even perhaps in a revitalized Stockyards would be a nice addition to OKC.

Patrick
03-16-2006, 11:20 AM
There's been a lot of things proposed in Bricktown over the years that never materialized. How many hotels has Jim Brewer proposed now for his land on the site of the Santa Station? At least a few.

SoonerDave
03-16-2006, 04:53 PM
I think the last one ol' Brewer talked about was a Holiday Inn using the station as a "lobby." It sounded nice, but I have a feeling that once the architects got to looking at it, it became a bit of a structural nightmare -- to say nothing of what would become of the novelty if the train were ever decomissioned.

-SoonerDave

metro
03-16-2006, 06:36 PM
I'm familiar with OSF but never heard any rumors of it coming.

SoonerDave
04-07-2006, 08:53 PM
I'm familiar with OSF but never heard any rumors of it coming.

There's no doubt it was supposed to happen. It was someone at the OSF location in Dallas that told me about it originally, and Channel 9 did a story on it - mind you, this was years ago - but it obviously never materialized. It was very near the time that Mickey Mantle's Staekhouse was announced, and I think that may well have been OSF's demise. Pity. MM's could shut down tomorrow and I wouldn't miss it a bit.

-SoonerDave

scotplum
04-13-2006, 01:59 PM
There's no doubt it was supposed to happen. It was someone at the OSF location in Dallas that told me about it originally, and Channel 9 did a story on it - mind you, this was years ago - but it obviously never materialized. It was very near the time that Mickey Mantle's Staekhouse was announced, and I think that may well have been OSF's demise. Pity. MM's could shut down tomorrow and I wouldn't miss it a bit.

-SoonerDave

I'm with you, I'm not a fan of Mickey Mantle's. The steaks are pretty good mind you but way over priced in my opinion and for that price I'd prefer steaks from Boulevard or Mahogany. I'm even less impressed with the Daddy Hinkle's place above Bourbon Street. While economical in comparison to MM, I was extremely disappointed with the steak and service. For steaks in that price range, Cattleman's is far superior.

SoonerDave
04-13-2006, 02:33 PM
My wife frequently reminds me that Cattleman's was her family's "special" restaurant of choice while she was growing up. We've been there in the last few months, and were a little disappointed. The hot rolls weren't, our steaks were abundantly gristly/fatty, and just didn't have a very good flavor - but did have a fairly steep price.

On the other hand, I was very pleasantly surprised by the steak I enjoyed at Charleston's on S. Meridian about two weeks ago. Cooked perfectly to my liking with a wonderful marinade, it had a fabulous flavor and was about as tender as you could ask for. *Almost* fork tender. For a non-specialty steakhouse, I thought it was great.

-SoonerDave

Uptown
04-13-2006, 03:42 PM
My wife frequently reminds me that Cattleman's was her family's "special" restaurant of choice while she was growing up. We've been there in the last few months, and were a little disappointed. The hot rolls weren't, our steaks were abundantly gristly/fatty, and just didn't have a very good flavor - but did have a fairly steep price.

On the other hand, I was very pleasantly surprised by the steak I enjoyed at Charleston's on S. Meridian about two weeks ago. Cooked perfectly to my liking with a wonderful marinade, it had a fabulous flavor and was about as tender as you could ask for. *Almost* fork tender. For a non-specialty steakhouse, I thought it was great.

-SoonerDave

I used to work for Charleston's. I don't think I'd go there.