View Full Version : Avoiding the many illnesses that are circulating

bandnerd
03-13-2006, 12:41 PM
All right, so I'm currently caring for an ailing fiance, and I'm trying very hard to be helpful while staying FAR away. I have a dress fitting tomorrow and it won't do me much good to be stuck praying to the bowl in the bathroom for mercy.

I've given him gatorade and tea, and crackers (for when he feels he can eat) and we have yogurt with the acidophullus (sp?) bacteria which I read is good to have. No other dairy, no sugar, no caffeine. I'm a mean nurse ;)

So what else can I do to take care of myself besides staying away and keeping things clean? I haven't touched a single tea mug or glass at this point. I'm vacating the premises this evening to visit my sister and I'm going to eat there.

And yes, I am paranoid. I NEVER get stomach bugs...but the last time I did have one well over 2 years ago, I spread to this poor person and I'm hoping karma isn't what they say she is.

Faith
03-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Take a vitamin C and eat or swallow some garlic.

dirtrider73068
03-13-2006, 02:46 PM
Keep you hands washed after handleing them or any of there things they have touched, if its really contagious, may get sonme of those throw away face mask to wear when in the room. I would say the most importnat first thing os to keep your hands washed.

Todd
03-13-2006, 02:52 PM
I wonder if it is food poisoning?

Patrick
03-13-2006, 02:52 PM
I second the Vitamin C. If you're taking tablets, take at least 1000mg. You can't OD on Vitamin C. Also, eat lots of oranges, apples, etc. Drink fruit juices like red grape juice, orange juice, apple juice, etc.

Rest. You don't want to strain your own immune system.

That's really all the advice I can give. Hopefully you won't get it.

Sorry to your fiance that he's not feeling well.

There is something going around right now. I missed a week of med school a few weeks back. My wife also missed some work.

Patrick
03-13-2006, 02:53 PM
I wonder if it is food poisoning?

Nino's?

Patrick
03-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Chicken Noodle Soup has been proven to boost your immune system. Especially the broth. Echinacea and zinc both have positive benefits.

bandnerd
03-13-2006, 03:12 PM
No, it's not food poisoning. Both his parents had it and we were around them ALL day on Saturday.

I took a nap this afternoon. I've had a lot of vitamin C already, and I haven't touched anything. I don't think he's ready for any soup yet, but he did eat some crackers and gatorade.

I'll be leaving here soon and going to my sister's. Good times.

Patrick
03-13-2006, 03:59 PM
Force the soup down him! lol!

bandnerd
03-13-2006, 09:56 PM
I just remembered I have some homemade chicken soup, minus the noodles, in the freezer. I'll push that on him tomorrow.