View Full Version : Tower Theatre

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

betts
10-29-2009, 04:56 PM
So, we're talking about needing more things to do for young people in OKC. I would think a 1500 seat theater (wasn't that the size?) would be great for shows by up and coming bands. It reminds me of the Georgia Theatre in Athens, a place with a great music scene despite being far smaller than OKC.

okclee
10-29-2009, 08:36 PM
The entire stretch along 23rd is prime for becoming an area for young (and old alike) people to live, work, and play.

So much potential for this stretch along 23rd.

circled9
10-29-2009, 10:10 PM
How many of the old theaters are left? obviously all of the downtown theNatres are gone although they were able to save the old centre theatre. i see that the May theatre on NW 16th is vacant and I think the old redskin in capital hill is still there. The Villa over NW 23rd went a long time ago. It would be great to bring back any of them that makes economic sense. Wasnt there also one near the Village on North May? I think it is near a starbucks.

windowphobe
10-30-2009, 05:02 PM
The old Lakeside Theater at May and Grand, later a Sound Warehouse, is now subdivided into retail and eateries.

And yes, there's a Starbucks nearby. (Once upon a time, there was a Girlie Pancake House on that slab.)

zrfdude
11-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter (http://twitpic.com/rn92i)

wsucougz
11-30-2009, 07:52 PM
Twitpic - Share photos on Twitter (http://twitpic.com/rn92i)

Awesome, thanks. Is this going to be lit on a regular basis?

Steve
11-30-2009, 08:30 PM
awesome!!!!!!!!!!

muzique808
11-30-2009, 09:51 PM
I've been driving by there three nights a week and someone still beat me to posting a photo!

Thanks anyway, great to see it finally lit back up.

betts
11-30-2009, 11:13 PM
I drove down 23rd tonight and seeing the Tower Theatre lit up on one side, Big Truck on the other side and then the row of shops with Cuppies and Joe was great to see. There's so much more that needs to be done, but what a great start.

tuck
12-01-2009, 07:10 AM
Great to the sign lit up last night!!! That's the easy part, now we need tenants/action!

muzique808
12-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Does anyone know what time is the sign coming on at night? I've driven by the last three nights after work and it hasn't been on and I'm just a little eager to see it.

Urbanized
12-03-2009, 08:12 AM
It was only lit up as a test. According to a friend who is involved, there will be a media event soon. I'm guessing after that you will see it lit up with regularity.

metro
04-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Tower Theater sign to shine after restoration
By Brian Brus
The Journal Record
Thursday, April 1, 2010

http://journalrecord.com/files/2010/04/tower-theater-sign_04-02-10-184x300.jpg
The Tower Theater on NW 23rd Street in Oklahoma City. (Courtesy Photo)

OKLAHOMA CITY – The Tower Theater on NW 23rd Street lives again, in bright neon glory.

Or at least that’s the business vitality that owner and developer Marty Dillon hopes to inspire with the new light to be tested at 7 p.m. Friday after the building sat dilapidated and empty for years.

“We’re trying to create a district,” he said Thursday. “If we keep it on three or four nights a week, it’ll help create a buzz and bring some folks to the front door. At least that’s the plan.”

The Tower Theater was built in 1936 and officially opened on July 15 the following year on a stretch of Route 66 between Lincoln and Classen boulevards. The theater’s origins are being recognized by the Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program, the National Trails System and the National Park Service with a formal designation and grant funds to help in its restoration.

The theater was designed and built to emulate the futuristic theaters being built in California, Dillon said, and it was one of the first suburban theaters built in the city when most large theaters were still downtown. The sign itself was designed by W. Scott Dunne and built by the Tex Lite neon company, both of Dallas.

That sign was treated badly in recent years as Marty Dillon and his brother and partner Mike Dillon planned renovations and secured tax credits related to the site’s historic status. When City Hall invested in streetscape renovations along NW 23rd, the sign was so close to traffic that it was repeatedly struck by vehicles, Marty Dillon said. The brothers bought the property five years ago.

“It took a couple of years just to get city officials to allow us to build out the concrete curb to protect the sign,” Marty Dillon said. “That was priority number one before we could even think about a new sign, but it’s going to be worth the wait.”

Now that’s taken care of, the Dillons expect the sign to help draw attention and business investment to the area. Marty Dillon, who operates retailer Party Galaxy, said they also own about 80 feet of frontage space on either side of the theater and the popular Big Truck Tacos building to the east.

Construction on the theater, about 23,000 square feet, is in the planning stage, Marty Dillon said. That will include office space on the second floor, restaurant at street level and the theater space with a stage and balcony that Dillon plans to use for arts, music and independent film events. The “shotgun lobby” is perpendicular to NW 23rd; the body theater runs east and west behind the rest of the strip of shops.

He plans to lease neighboring buildings for restaurants and retail. Party Galaxy will be one of the first tenants. Investment figures were not immediately available.

The area is a patchwork of renovated homes and businesses and dilapidated properties, but Dillon said the only way to turn it around is for someone to risk stepping up to the task first and serve as an example.

The Tower Theater Project Team includes the ownership group, Uptown Development, as well as Fitzsimmons Architects and Jacobs General Contracting. Sign restoration was completed by Superior Neon.

bombermwc
04-02-2010, 08:16 AM
BEAUTIFUL! I'm so glad to see that it's finally been completed!!!! Absolutely love seeing that thing lit up in all its glory!!!!

Spartan
04-02-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm glad that Dillon has a business of his own that he can move into this building as well. That will ensure some degree of success I think..

John
04-02-2010, 05:12 PM
3-4 nights a week? Weak.

...and BTT is west of Tower Theater.

Grant
04-02-2010, 05:35 PM
3-4 nights a week? Weak.

Business plan? Strong. Trying to make money by not wasting it by running the place on nights nobody will show up? Common sense.

warreng88
04-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Drove by it twice tonight and saw about 4-6 people taking pictures of it. When they have it lit up, it will be a draw and will hopefully help develop that area.

Andy1807
04-02-2010, 11:15 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4485482901_ef4125aac0.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/4486135286_939b6c7d85.jpg

jbrown84
04-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Just drove by it and got all giddy. Haha.

ddavidson8
04-03-2010, 09:24 AM
After reading the article, how much of the original theater space will be left intact? I'd hate for them to tear everything out a la The Center Theater. I hope they leave the lobby and original auditorium in tact.

bluedogok
04-03-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm glad that Dillon has a business of his own that he can move into this building as well. That will ensure some degree of success I think..
Both sides of the Dillon family have done pretty well, they have built on the success their fathers had MG Novelty/Dillon Importing. I grew up with them and went all through school with them, they are all great guys with a keen business sense.

Spartan
04-03-2010, 05:15 PM
I had no idea that they owned MG Novelty. That would be a great store to move to Uptown. Saying that they own MG Novelty is much different from vaguely referencing to a party store that they own, which could be a franchise or anything..

After reading the article, how much of the original theater space will be left intact? I'd hate for them to tear everything out a la The Center Theater. I hope they leave the lobby and original auditorium in tact.

The one in Tulsa? It still functions and has film screenings all the time. They preserved as much of the historic integrity as they could.

bluedogok
04-03-2010, 05:23 PM
I had no idea that they owned MG Novelty. That would be a great store to move to Uptown. Saying that they own MG Novelty is much different from vaguely referencing to a party store that they own, which could be a franchise or anything.
Party Galaxy is the new name of MG Novelty, for a long time MG Novelty was strictly a wholesale organization. At one time a family member had The Emporium at Shepherd Mall as a retail outlet. The popcorn stand outside the store was owned by another relative.

PartyGalaxy.com - Company Information (http://www.partygalaxy.com/about.htm)

ddavidson8
04-03-2010, 07:10 PM
I had no idea that they owned MG Novelty. That would be a great store to move to Uptown. Saying that they own MG Novelty is much different from vaguely referencing to a party store that they own, which could be a franchise or anything..

The one in Tulsa? It still functions and has film screenings all the time. They preserved as much of the historic integrity as they could.

No, the one where the current OKC museum of art is. I don't think they preserved as much as they could. When driving by during the renovation, the only think they preserved were the side walls and the back wall. The stair case is the same...yawn. I just hate to see these movie palaces destroyed.

jbrown84
04-03-2010, 10:00 PM

Well... they renamed MG Novelty Party Galaxy a few years ago...

And I believe you are thinking of Circle Cinema in Tulsa.

ljbab728
04-03-2010, 11:06 PM
No, the one where the current OKC museum of art is. I don't think they preserved as much as they could. When driving by during the renovation, the only think they preserved were the side walls and the back wall. The stair case is the same...yawn. I just hate to see these movie palaces destroyed.

I have been to numerous movies at the Centre Theater (not Center Theater). It was very nice for it's time but I never considered it be in the same category with the Criterion, Harbor, or State theaters. I don't disagree, however, with your suggestion that it would have been nice to have more of it saved. I think the oportunity to have the Museum move back to downtown was must too much to pass up.

Urbanized
04-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Drove by it the other night. Beautiful. Wonderful job.

cpa_dan
04-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Does anyone know why it hasn't been lit at night? Tonight and the past few times I've driven by, its been out.

Platemaker
04-26-2010, 10:31 PM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/Platemaker_photos/TowerTheatre.jpg

CuatrodeMayo
04-27-2010, 09:21 AM
I think I saw you taking that pic last night...

MikeOKC
04-27-2010, 09:25 AM
It's been a long time. To see it like that again ---- that's just beautiful!

Pete
04-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Gorgeous!

Credit to the owners for sticking with this project and doing it the right way -- at considerable expense.

metro
04-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Just think if they would have demolished it ala Sandridge. I imagine it'd be replaced with a Walmart Neighborhood Market.

Platemaker
04-27-2010, 10:48 AM
I think I saw you taking that pic last night...

LOL oh really?

CuatrodeMayo
04-27-2010, 11:48 AM
LOL oh really?

I happened to be driving by and saw some dude taking a pic of the sign at that EXACT angle...hmmmm.

jstanthrnme
08-06-2010, 10:28 PM
The sign looks great at night IMO.

A few questions: anybody got any updates to share on this project? and as far as the concept of the new Tower Theatre, is it gonna be in any way similar to the Circle Theatre?

ljbab728
08-06-2010, 10:47 PM
The sign looks great at night IMO.

A few questions: anybody got any updates to share on this project? and as far as the concept of the new Tower Theatre, is it gonna be in any way similar to the Circle Theatre?

What does your reference to the Circle Theater mean? Can you explain? Are you talking about the Circle Theater that was on South Robinson and later became the Capitol or Capri Theater before it was torn down in 1982?

Spartan
08-07-2010, 12:08 AM
I think he means the Circle Theater in Tulsa's Kendall-Whittier district. I think it will be similar, but different. This will be a very complete project..street retail that will be significant, parking across the street, there may still be a pedestrian crossing if the city will ever agree to it..the theater itself will be more of an event-oriented space. It will do film screenings much like the Circle Theater in Tulsa, but it will host community events, lots of live music, and more..as well.

ljbab728
08-07-2010, 12:11 AM
I think he means the Circle Theater in Tulsa's Kendall-Whittier district. I think it will be similar, but different. This will be a very complete project..street retail that will be significant, parking across the street, there may still be a pedestrian crossing if the city will ever agree to it..the theater itself will be more of an event-oriented space. It will do film screenings much like the Circle Theater in Tulsa, but it will host community events, lots of live music, and more..as well.

You're probably right then. When he just said Circle Theater that's not very clear since there was a Circle Theater here and there were probably quite a few with similar names around the country.

Spartan
08-07-2010, 12:17 AM
I've never been to the Circle Theater, I just know of it because they renovated it a few years ago when I first started tracking urban development in Oklahoma..

jbrown84
08-11-2010, 01:41 PM
I believe it's actually known now as Circle Cinema.

Midtowner
08-11-2010, 02:27 PM
They can put a plaza where "L Sto" used to be.

okclee
10-13-2010, 09:01 PM
What is the latest with the Tower Theater?

On nights when it is lit up it looks amazing driving down 23rd. Then you get up close and realize it is still a ghost town of a strip. All the store fronts are empty and nothing seems to be developing. It is difficult to believe that no new businesses want to locate in this area.

Spartan
10-15-2010, 01:48 AM
Is Marty Dillon still moving the family party store into the space if he ever gets it renovated?

Steve
10-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Last I heard, but it won't be fast

edcrunk
10-20-2010, 07:33 AM
I'm tempted to see if Wade Starr will get involved... my partners and I really wanna move "Robotic Wednesdays" over there.

okclee
12-10-2010, 11:03 AM
What is going on here?

The entire strip east of the Tower theater has all the storefront windows boarded up with plywood to the inside. It has been like this for a week now, but I do not see anything happening. There were a few art galleries in these spaces that are now boarded.

edcrunk
12-10-2010, 01:59 PM
I heard that wade Starr has bought into it and that they are moving forward.

okclee
12-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Wade Starr?

Moving forward with What?

Urban Pioneer
12-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Other exciting possibilities may be in the works too. We'll see if it pans out.

okclee
12-14-2010, 04:07 PM
I heard that wade Starr has bought into it and that they are moving forward.

Can you elaborate on this?

ypsiexplorer
02-16-2011, 09:20 AM
I just drove by the Tower Theater today and there's construction going on in the street. It looks like they're removing a section of the landscaped median directly in front of the theater and across from the vacant lots on the south side of the street. Could it be for a crosswalk connecting the theater to parking in the vacant lots?

wsucougz
02-16-2011, 10:49 AM
I just drove by the Tower Theater today and there's construction going on in the street. It looks like they're removing a section of the landscaped median directly in front of the theater and across from the vacant lots on the south side of the street. Could it be for a crosswalk connecting the theater to parking in the vacant lots?

I hope so, it's been really difficult to get to a show.

Spartan
02-16-2011, 02:53 PM
I hope so, it's been really difficult to get to a show.

You haven't been using the catapult system to safely cross 23rd?

wsucougz
02-16-2011, 03:52 PM
You haven't been using the catapult system to safely cross 23rd?

Nah, I usually just ride a transient. Bada bing!

Larry OKC
02-17-2011, 12:11 AM

may have dreamed this but thought I read somewhere that there was an issue with the sign clearance or something along those lines, to get the clearance meant taking out the landscaping (not sure why the landscaping was approved since the sign predated it?

Spartan
02-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Nah, I usually just ride a transient. Bada bing!

Ew, that sounds reeeally risky.

Pete
07-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Metro, thanks for the heads-up. That's fantastic news about Deep Fork's new restaurant and bar going into the retail space at the Tower Theater!

Anybody have an idea of the concept they'll be going with?

Here's the entire article:

http://okc.biz/oklahoma/article-5737-uptown-developments.html
June 20th, 2011 - Kelley Chambers
Uptown developments

NW 23 Street is home to several new restaurant concepts, with more planned as the area is revitalized

As restaurants continue to pop up along NW 23 Street from around Hudson Avenue to just west of Classen Boulevard, several have found successful concepts, leading to incremental growth and redevelopment of the area.

On May 18, Mutts Amazing Hot Dogs joined the line of specialty eateries along a stretch of road that includes dilapidated and largely vacant strip centers, wig shops, discount convenience stores, pawn shops, fast-food restaurants and a steady stream of vagrants.

But rather than write off the area, developers and restaurateurs including Keith and Heather Paul, Chris Lower, Mike Tharasena and Marty Dillon are investing in long-neglected properties.

Set to open in August is Tucker’s Onion Burgers across the street from Cheever’s. Keith Paul says he wanted to open an eatery with a distinctly Oklahoma flair.

“We’ve been working on a burger concept for about two years,” he says. “We thought that no one is really focusing on the only cuisine that’s from Oklahoma.”

At the Tower Theater, Dillon is leasing space to the Deep Fork Group for a 4,000-square-foot restaurant and a 1,000-square-foot bar in the retail space facing the street. At Big Truck Tacos, the owners have taken a space for a catering kitchen and a gift store. They will share the building, which Dillon owns, with a gelato shop.

At the 23rd Street Courts, Tharasena has filled that space with Cuppies & Joe, a law office, a tattoo shop and others. Behind Cuppies & Joe, he is renovating a building for restaurant space.

Despite the pockets of restaurants and retail, several abandoned strips and underutilized space stand.

Lower says there is no concerted effort to find a use for that space, but he believes the momentum of the area is catching on and attracting others to take a second look at that stretch of road.

“Getting rid of some of the crummier tenants down there will help,” Lower says. “I think the Tower will become the hub of 23rd.”

NW 23 Street is the north boundary of the city’s sixth ward, represented by Councilwoman Meg Salyer. She has watched as the area slowly has gone from an area of blight to an up-and-coming dining and entertainment district.

“These are all great, brave entrepreneurs,” she says.

Salyer says the key word for growth and improvement in the area is “incremental.” While she and others would like to see the area shape up faster, hurdles remain from owners who leave their properties run down, or have no interest in the revitalization.

“Having folks that are unrealistic about the value of their property, you can end up with some unwilling property owners to get involved in the process,” she says.
Despite some sketchy areas that remain, Keith Paul says there is no place he would rather be doing business. He envisions a day when 23rd is a long stretch of retail and a true destination.

“I hope it will be a neighborhood people will flock to,” he says. “We hope someday people will walk from Cheever’s to Cuppies & Joe, and have things to do along the way.”

Mutts Amazing Hot Dogs
1400 NW 23
Built: 1968
Square feet: 1,728
Valuation of project: about $150,000

After visiting Chicago and trying hot dogs in the Windy City, Chris Lower, Cally Johnson and Kathryn Mathis – the masterminds behind Big Truck Tacos – decided to mix up their meat between a tortilla concept and fixings in a bun.

23rd Street Courts
North side of NW 23, between Shartel and Lee avenues
Square feet: more than 20,000 in eight buildings
Valuation of project: about $3 million to $5 million invested to date

Developer Mike Tharasena and architect Brian Fitzsimmons converted a collection of rundown bungalows into a lively retail strip. Set to open soon is Bubba’s, serving barbecue at 715 NW 23. Behind the strip, a 4,000-square-foot building is being renovated for a restaurant space.

Hotel Motel Liquidation
511 NW 23
Built: 1939
Square feet: 21,840

While “going out of business” has been painted on the windows of this building for years, it is on the market for $1.5 million. Chad Elmore, listing broker with InterWest Realty, says the owner is looking to sell the building and close the business. No future plans for the building have been announced.

Truong-Than Supermarket
2400 N Walker
Built: 1926
Square feet: 9,586

The retail space is connected to the Tower Theater at the northeast corner of NW 23 Street and Walker Avenue. Chad Elmore, listing broker with InterWest Realty, has the property on the market for a lease rate of about $9 per square foot.

Big Truck Tacos
530 NW 23
Built: 1966
Square feet: 1,931
Valuation of project: about $200,000

Chris Lower, Cally Johnson and Kathryn Mathis opened the taco eatery in 2009. The owners also have taken space in a building to the east of the restaurant for a larger kitchen and a gift shop. Next door to Big Truck, Avianos, an Italian gelato shop, is set to open this summer.

Tower Theatre
425 NW 23
Built: 1926
Square feet: 25,400
Valuation of project: $3 million

Owner Marty Dillon plans to restore the space to its former glory. The first floor of the auditorium will be renovated into an event space, and the 280-seat balcony will be used for screening films. Dillon’s Party Galaxy store is moving into the upstairs office space.

Tucker’s Onion Burgers
324 NW 23
Built: 1959
Square feet: 1,470

Owner Keith Paul says onion burgers are perhaps the only true Oklahoma-originated cuisine. The restaurant will feature onion burgers, French fries, hand-dipped milk shakes and freshly squeezed lemonade. The restaurant will seat about 50 people inside and 25 outside. Average check: $10.

Cheever’s Café and catering building
2409 N Hudson Ave. and 401 NW 23
Built: 1937
Square feet: about 4,500 combined

Owners Keith and Heather Paul continue serving food at the restaurant. Next door, a building facing NW 23 Street that previously housed Market C, has been converted to catering space.

warreng88
07-13-2011, 09:08 PM
What’s cooking on NW 23rd? New eateries in the works as corridor makes comeback
By Brianna Bailey
Journal Record
Oklahoma City reporter - Contact 405-278-2847
Posted: 09:27 PM Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Here is the portion of the article I posted on the 23rd St Development thread that has to do with the Tower Theatre

Renovation plans are gearing up at NW 23rd Street’s historic Tower Theater, some five years after brothers Marty and Mike Dillon purchased the vacant property.

The project stalled when the economy went south a few years ago, but has found new momentum. At the same time, several new restaurants have sprung up in the area.

Construction that will transform the old movie house into a special events center is slated to begin within the next 60 to 90 days, Marty Dillon said.

“I saw this area as something poised to come back, although maybe I got in about four years too early,” he said.

Local restaurateur Deep Fork Group has leased 45,000 square feet of retail space next door to the theater and is developing two restaurant and bar concepts there, Marty Dillon said.