View Full Version : The "Beacon of Hope" isn't green anymore

Urban Pioneer
03-06-2006, 09:11 PM
Apparently, someone has given in to all of your complaints. Last night I was startled by the piercing white light coming out of the "Beacon of Hope". It appears that they have removed the green lens that everyone has complained about. The light is considerably brighter as discussed.

For some reason, it isn't even on tonight. If someone know of the changes, they should post it. Rand Elliott had a great idea that may turn out to be as significant as people hoped for.

Midtowner
03-06-2006, 09:18 PM
I've always said that a giant erect phallus is a perfect memorial for Eddie Gaylord considering the origins of his family fortune (brothels in Denver).

BDP
03-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Could you see a beam without being on top of it?

Patrick
03-07-2006, 01:19 PM
This would be excellent news if it pans out.

floater
03-07-2006, 03:25 PM
I've always said that a giant erect phallus is a perfect memorial for Eddie Gaylord considering the origins of his family fortune (brothels in Denver).

:LolLolLol

diesel
03-07-2006, 04:31 PM

this is new to me... elaborate

Urban Pioneer
03-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Two nights ago, it appears that they took the green lens off of the light fixture in the beacon. It was three times brighter and quite noticeable as originally hoped. It wasn't on last night at all. I will look to see if it is on tonight. But what I am saying is that it appears that they have heard the complaints and are attempting to correct the low illumination.

Midtowner
03-07-2006, 07:11 PM
this is new to me... elaborate

The Seniormost ex-Gaylord moved to Oklahoma and started a newspaper after his brothels didn't work out in Denver.

Patrick
03-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Any news of the Beacon of Hope?

jbrown84
03-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Midtowner, what does Gaylord have to do with the Beacon of Hope?

Midtowner
03-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Isn't it a memorial to him and a few of the other 'city fathers'?

I understood it to be that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

NewPlains
03-08-2006, 10:49 AM
it's a memorial to the people who put up funding and support for the health science center, of which Gaylord was one.

jbrown84
03-08-2006, 03:01 PM
One of five. It's hardly a memorial to him.

Urban Pioneer
03-10-2006, 09:46 AM
Well folks. They're is something going on as the lens on the light apparently is of a lighter color. The light is much brighter when it works. However, every night it has gone out and sometimes does not even come on. Thinking that they were working on it after I saw it go out from my living room; I jumped in the car and went down there. But no one was there and (all) of the lighting was out in the park. It appears that they are having electrical problems.

BDP
03-10-2006, 09:55 AM
I noticed it, too, last night. It is a lighter color, but it was still dusk and I could not gage how bright it will be at night.

jbrown84
03-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Yeah about a month ago I drove by and it was off as well as all the landscape lighting.

gbyte
03-10-2006, 02:24 PM
I loved the green color from the beacon :|

TheImmortal
03-10-2006, 02:52 PM
But you couldn't tell it was lit hardly. I would drive by it at night try to show my friends and they would be like "Where", "What are you talking about", until we would be like right next to it.

BDP
03-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Which wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't sold it as this huge deal that would be a defining landmark for Oklahoma City (I think one of the boosters involved even mentioned the St. Louis Arch :doh: ) or if they hadn't built something that could have been a nice landmark, but just isn't.

jbrown84
03-10-2006, 04:36 PM
It should have been two or three times that big in diameter and made out of something more than a steel tube.

bandnerd
03-12-2006, 09:08 AM
I noticed it being white Tuesday night when I was coming home. I kind of missed the giant green phallus sticking out of the ground...maybe I just have a dirty mind. I don't really care what color it is. I never thought about the green color not projecting but it makes sense.

Hope they get it working properly.

John
03-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Over the past few weeks, I have seen the Beacon shoot green light, white light, and the light green, or aqua looking color.

I don't know what the story is behind the switching around, if they're trying to find what works best/brightest?

Maybe someone that knows Mr. Elliot could find out what is going on with the Beacon of Hope.

jbrown84
03-31-2006, 09:29 PM
I do know someone that sort of knows him, but I don't think he knows what's going on with it.

plmccordj
04-01-2006, 08:34 AM
Isn't it amazing? If there is one thing that you can count on even more than death and taxes is this...

Democrat in Oklahoma means bash Gaylord. You can be talking about the weather and a Democrat in Oklahoma will somehow turn it into a Gaylord conspiracy. Gaylord is dead and we still have to listen to this crap. Really... Who Cares?!?

OKCNDN
04-05-2006, 01:58 PM
In Kansas City they have a light that you can see from a long ways off. It is white and the light fixture isn't real big. I think that this light is supposed be like that one but obviously isn't working like it's supposed to. You can see that light from a few miles away.

I had actually forgotten all about the beacon because you just can't see it from west of the downtown area, even from Western and Reno area. It has not lived up to what we led to believe it would be and that was a light you could see from a long ways off. You can't.

The Old Downtown Guy
04-05-2006, 08:40 PM
Isn't it amazing? If there is one thing that you can count on even more than death and taxes is this...

Democrat in Oklahoma means bash Gaylord. You can be talking about the weather and a Democrat in Oklahoma will somehow turn it into a Gaylord conspiracy. Gaylord is dead and we still have to listen to this crap. Really... Who Cares?!?

So pimccord, are you saying that Midtowner's account of the Gaylord family history is incorrect?

And FYI, Gaylord bashing is an equal opportunity sport in Oklahoma City that cuts right across party lines; no Democrat monopoly on that. Though the old man is gone, his legacy of the absolute worst mid-size market newspaper in the known universe lives on. After you take out the car ads, furniture ads, grocery ads and coupons, there's hardly enough left to line Polly's cage. Highest newspaper advertising rates known to man thrown in for good measure. Sounds to me like the screwing for profit business started in Denver was homed to perfection in Oklahoma City.

John
04-05-2006, 09:49 PM
White tonight.

Patrick
04-05-2006, 10:43 PM
I'm a Dem and I don't hate the Gaylords, really. I'm not a big fan of them, but I do think a lot of them for at least donating their money to worthy causes around here.

jbrown84
04-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Though the old man is gone, his legacy of the absolute worst mid-size market newspaper in the known universe lives on.

Just because they have a conservative slant does not mean they are a bad newspaper. The Dallas Morning News is equally as slanted to the left.

BDP
04-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Just because they have a conservative slant does not mean they are a bad newspaper

Exactly, its crappiness is more than just its politics. Poor writing, little to no investigative reporting, lack of competent reporting, and a clear political agenda all contribute to its shortcomings. It's basically nothing more than a very expensive community newsletter. Add in the fact that it has one of the highest ad rates per customer in the country and you realize how short changed the market it.

Unforatuntely, I think a lot of papers and news organizations in general suffer from the same shortcomings. It's almost like the Oklahoman was a pioneer of today's marketed news, where they play more to the lowest common denominator of their market, instead of trying to provide the highest quality of journalism they can afford.

Urban Pioneer
04-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Well people. It is not on tonight at all. It was yesterday. Also, the light has consistently been white over the past few weeks and it is much brighter. Tornadic weather, smoke, and dust storms especially set off the brilliance of the phallus.