View Full Version : Crash surprises with Best Picture

jbrown84
03-06-2006, 08:45 PM
Did anyone catch the Oscars? I always watch it and this year was pretty good. There were some funny parts and some not so funny parts, and some really BS awards, but I enjoyed the show overall.

CRASH for Best Picture blew me away. I never thought it would happen. The Tomlin/Streep thing was hilarious and so were the mock campaign ads.

Best Surprise: Crash for Best Pic (although Brokeback is a close second for me)

Best Surprise Before That: Gustavo Santaolalla's Brokeback score wins

Biggest BS: "In the Deep" losing out to "Hard Out Here for a Pimp"

Best Barbie Impersonation: Dolly Parton

Best Slip of the Tongue (of many): Morgan Freeman

Best Save: Jennifer Garner - "I do my own stunts."

Most Uncomfortable Moment: Lauren Bacall struggles to say her introduction (poor lady)

MadMonk
03-07-2006, 08:40 AM
I generally avoid all the "pat yourself on the back" award shows and just read the winners list later. Glad to see Crash won. I enjoyed that movie.

floater
03-07-2006, 03:52 PM
The Tomlin/Streep intro was my favorite moment. It was the funniest one I've seen in a long time. It was planned no doubt, but the improv quality was great. It was also a nice homage to a director of such a unique style and no other Oscars to speak of.

I also like Garner's recovery and cringed at Bacall. Other than those, my favorite moments were:

Funniest Joke: Stewart's joke about how "Good Night and Good Luck" is also how Clooney ends his dates (and his reaction afterward)

Favorite Acceptance Speech: Clooney's about being out of touch; not too sharp-edged and poignant

Waste of Time Replacement: From best picture intros of years past to clips about the magic of movies and film noir (but the gay cowboy set was hilarious)

Surprise Shot: Of the stars of the foriegn language film, upon the direction of the winner on stage

Second Favorite Presenting Pair: Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves, just because of Speed, a favorite movie

jbrown84
03-08-2006, 08:04 PM
I didn't even think about Speed. They have a new movie together coming out this year.

floater
03-09-2006, 07:54 AM
I didn't even think about Speed. They have a new movie together coming out this year.

I heard about that Sunday night; do you know what genre it will be?

jbrown84
03-09-2006, 03:03 PM
It's a romantic drama with some time travel elements. They are both living at this same house at different times and begin communicating by leaving letters in the mailbox or something like that.

floater
03-09-2006, 04:29 PM
It's a romantic drama with some time travel elements. They are both living at this same house at different times and begin communicating by leaving letters in the mailbox or something like that.

Hmmm...sounds like a remake of Somewhere in Time; hope it's good! If the chemistry is like that of Speed, and the writing up to par, it should work.