View Full Version : Allegiant Gone from WRWA

venture
03-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Allegiant is yanking the 4 weekly flights to Vegas in April. This is definitely a loss as their fares were typically lower than anyone else in the market...but tis the season. They are also pulling down a few other cities as well, though they have flights to their Sanford base that are staying.

BDP
03-06-2006, 01:15 PM
It seems like with Southwest non-stop every day to LAS, the market may have become over served. SWA's flights to LAS have been pretty cheap, hopefully they will stay that way. Any chance America West/US Airways will add a flight to LAS for people who sleep? j/k

venture
03-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Allegiant was actually cheaper than Southwest, but the gorilla won out. Don't expect any additions to the route...capacity is probably too much for what the route warranted.

Intrepid
03-06-2006, 02:39 PM
What a bummer! I had planned on using them for a Vegas trip in July!

OUman
03-06-2006, 03:26 PM
Not a huge loss IMHO, the market has overcapacity, besides, even after Allegiant's pull-out, we'll still have two daily departures and 18 weekly departures to LAS. Btw, off topic, I know, but seems United Express' second daily to SAT will be starting in May.

Foxtrot

venture
03-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Allegiant practices the saying "Use it or Lose it" perfectly. OKC didn't follow through and use the service...its gone. Allegiant was the largest airline in the market with a 35% market share and also the lowest fare airline, according to the DOT.

This is a prime example of why some people claiming OKC can be a hub are so far fetched, they need to be slapped with reality.

BDP
03-06-2006, 04:02 PM
It had the largest market share, but not enough people were using it? Ha, that does suggest that hubbing at WRWA won't work.

If they get the largest market share, yet it's not enough for them, it was definately saturated. What was their market share before America West and Southwest started non-stops?

I know that I have bought tickets to Vegas twice on Southwest cheaper or right at what Allegiant was advertising. That's just anecdotal, but it at least shows that they did have competition.

chrisok
03-06-2006, 06:01 PM
That's really a shame. I have flown Allegiant many times over past year or so. For the most part, I really enjoyed their service. I did notice that their passenger counts did seem to drop significantly first with America West, then with Southwest. While I did enjoy the 1/2 to 3/4 full planes, I can't say I was suprised to hear it. You know, it's hard to beat same day fares of $138 RT for the weekend. Hopefully Champion will stick around.

Luke
03-06-2006, 09:38 PM
I lost my honeymoon package with Allegiant's announcement. They said I'll get a full refund. Thankfully, Worry Free Vacations (Champion Air charters) is nearly identically priced.

bedgraynexl
03-08-2006, 12:14 PM
I had tickets too. Though they did transfer my departure to wichita. I couldn't pass up the $21 tickets they had. I was really upset when the pulled from the market, but at least I still have my trip, just have to travel a little farther than I planned.