View Full Version : Teeth cleaning for dogs

kellekokid
03-05-2006, 12:24 AM
Has anyone gotten their dogs teeth cleaned by their vet? I was just wondering about the expense of it and if it really helps.

mranderson
03-05-2006, 07:06 AM
Holly would get her teeth cleaned once a year as part of her wellness plan. They had to put her under, so that is why it was only once a year. The advantage was the fact they were able to look at her closer. Unfortunatly, that is how we found the cancer that killed her. Had we had her teeth cleaned more often, the vet would have caught the tumor in time to save her. Even if it is for this reason, it is worth the investment.

Midtowner
03-05-2006, 09:45 PM
No use in beating yourself up over it. Most pet owners don't even have the responsibility to get their pets' teeth cleaned in the first place. You deserve commendation not condemnation.

Jack
03-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Why would someone get their dog's teeth cleaned? Sounds like a waste to me. What did dogs do in the wild? Do you folks brush your dogs teeth as well? You know, there are poor people in this country that can't even get their teeth professionally cleaned, yet you're worried about getting a dog's teeth cleaned. Weird.

Midtowner
03-06-2006, 12:12 AM
In the wild, dogs ate different foods, same with people. The different diets we eat affect our dental health -- our dogs are no different.

Poor people in this country are poor because they have chosen that. A dog is completely dependant on its master for all things. I personally have far more compassion for animals than I do for people.

kellekokid
03-06-2006, 12:29 AM
A dog is completely dependant on its master for all things. I personally have far more compassion for animals than I do for people.

I'd have to agree, animals are much nicer on the whole then people usually are. There's that whole food chain thing for those in the wild but that's for survival not meanness.

But to the teeth cleaning... if for no other reason then the one Mr. Anderson sadly has first hand knowledge of a pets health is their owners responsibility. Both my dogs are over 5 which I think the vet has said is a good time to have that done. Then there's the issue of not so fresh doggie breath.

I too commend you, Mr. Anderson, for having Holly's health such a high priority, she knew she was a much loved little lady.

Jack
03-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Just give the dog some milk bones and be done with it. Teeth cleaning for a dog is not necessary.

Midtowner
03-06-2006, 09:48 AM
Is that your expert opinion Jack?

Jack
03-06-2006, 09:54 AM
Is that your expert opinion Jack?

Yeah.

Let's go ahead and put braces on our dogs' teeth as well. Might want to give him/her some fluoride.

Jack
03-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Skip the vet. Save money using this:

http://static.flickr.com/24/37882295_640829b7af.jpg

Jack
03-06-2006, 09:56 AM
http://www.kidsanddogs.bravepages.com/images/shinyteeth.jpg

escan
03-06-2006, 10:35 AM
It really is good for your pets to do this. It's just like in humans where the bacteria from plaque, etc. cause additional problems (heart problems, etc). It's HIGHLY recommended to do by pet health professionals. Do check around though...my vet was going to charge $300, but I checked out another vet where I recued a cat thru...only $70.

You really don't have to do it every year, though if (as Jack says) you feed them milk bones, dry food only and (for the cats) tartar treats. That scrapes a lot of the build up off. If, however, you are one of those who feed your animals table scraps or wet food (both of which can affect their health for the worse) you may need to do it more often.

Jack
03-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Exactly. The expert opinion from Mr. Right says not to feed your pets table scraps. Give them dry dog food which has no sugar, and you don't have to worry about bacteria.

escan
03-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Actually...it's MS. Right :) and you should still do it even if you only feed dry food; just less often.