View Full Version : 2.27.06 Hornets Standings

Doug Loudenback
02-27-2006, 02:05 AM
Horents' stuff doesn't get a whole lot of traffic at OkcTalk for reasons that I don't understand (to me, this is the hottest item in OKC right now) else I'd post more about them here, in addition to where I routinely do at www.hornetscentral.com).

But, the latest standings may be of more general interest to OkcTalkers. The Hornets are in the midst of a 4 game road trip (2-0 in that trip so far), and here are the Western Conference standings right now (the image below will change as the Standings Page is updated - this one will last for a day or so, and will then be updated):

http://www.dougloudenback.com/hornets/standingsnew.gif

The Horents are doing GREAT in Oklahoma City! GO HORNETS!

Karried
02-27-2006, 05:25 AM
I can't believe they are doing so well.

Compared to last year.. I never dreamed they would be in the running for the playoffs. I don't know all that much about it though.. in regards to making the playoffs.. but I'm sure I'll learn all about in on the boards. Cool chart Doug.

Doug Loudenback
02-27-2006, 06:39 AM
Karrie, the winners of the 3 "Divisions" within each of the 2 (Eastern & Western) Conferences make the playoffs right now (that may change next year) regardless of percentage of wins. Those 3 are seeded according #1, #2, and #3 depending on their percentages of wins. The next 5 teams in the conference (W/L %) make the playoffs, and they are seeded based on their %. If teams are tied in winning %, some tiebreakers come into play. In the playoffs, #1 seed plays #8, #2 plays #7, #3 plays #6, and #4 plays #5, all in best of 7 series. That's why #6 seed (right now) is great since since we'd be playing Denver, instead of Dallas, Phoenix or San Antonio. These are the quarterfinals. The same thing occurs for a semi-final and a final round. Then, the conference champions play each other for the NBA Championship, also a 7 game series.

Karried
02-27-2006, 07:16 AM
ahhh now it's all clear.. ..

clear as mud! LOL I just have never had the chance to see NBA playoff action before.. let me read your post a few more times... and see if something triggers a neuron response.. thanks for attempting to educate a somewhat uneducatable sports fan! Why is it called a seed anyway?

Doug Loudenback
02-27-2006, 07:28 AM
ahhh now it's all clear.. ..

clear as mud! LOL I just have never had the chance to see NBA playoff action before.. let me read your post a few more times... and see if something triggers a neuron response.. thanks for attempting to educate a somewhat uneducatable sports fan! Why is it called a seed anyway?
So it will grow better.

I'll make you a chart (playoff bracket) and post it later.

ibda12u
02-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Nice, I'm seriously digging the Hornets. Kinda weird how a pro team can make you really excited about basketball again.

Doug Loudenback
02-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Ok. Karrie, look at the chart below for last year's playoffs:

http://www.dougloudenback.com/hornets/playoffs2005.gif

The 3 teams in "gold" rows are the 3 division leaders (Southwest <Hornets>, Northwest, and Pacific) at the end of regular season play. Each of those teams gets a "bye" (free pass) into the playoffs, regardless of their winning percentage, and each of them will be "seeded" (ranked and stuck into particular playoff brackets) as #1, #2 or #3, depending on their relative winning percentages amonst themselves.

Generally, the "brackets" are set up so that the teams with the highgest winning percentages play teams with the lowest winning percentages. After the 1st 3 teams (division winners), 5 other teams are "seeded" (ranked) below the 1st 3 seeds, according to their winning percentage (unless teams are tied, in which case some tie-breakers come into play ... for example, for awhile the Hornets and Memphis both had identical winning percentages, but since the Hornets were 2-1 in face to face games with Memphis, the Hornets were then seeded higher than Memphis).

Each level of the playoffs is a best of 7 series. Here's what it looked like in the 2005 playoffs, for both conferences through the finals ...

http://www.dougloudenback.com/hornets/playoffs2005all.gif

Got it? :doh: