View Full Version : Why don't they?!

diesel
02-25-2006, 01:47 PM
Why doesn't someone buy out the industrial business that lines bricktown to the east so that bricktown can expand to be larger?! All those buildings NE of IHOP... Also do they plan on expanding south of the movie theater, maybe tear down that mill that doesn't produce anymore or does it?! And hell why we are at it, why not do something about Reno east of bricktown before the truck stops... That area would be pretty cool if someone would develop it and get all those trashy looking buildings out of there..

John
02-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Why doesn't someone buy out the industrial business that lines bricktown to the east so that bricktown can expand to be larger?! All those buildings NE of IHOP... Also do they plan on expanding south of the movie theater, maybe tear down that mill that doesn't produce anymore or does it?! And hell why we are at it, why not do something about Reno east of bricktown before the truck stops... That area would be pretty cool if someone would develop it and get all those trashy looking buildings out of there..

The old Stewart complex was bought by, I believe, the Meinders family and will be developed in the not too distant future to 'expand Bricktown'.

diesel
02-25-2006, 02:30 PM
The old Stewart complex was bought by, I believe, the Meinders family and will be developed in the not too distant future to 'expand Bricktown'.

good deal!! nice to hear!

jbrown84
02-25-2006, 10:54 PM
Also, the cottonseed oil plant south of the interstate IS in operation, so that complicates any efforts to tear them down.

Oki_Man5
02-26-2006, 05:30 AM
dum dum dum dum Drum roll! Please for the next post when some hotshot will complain about all the nostalgia that might be destroyed when some of the old buildings (the mill for instance) are torn down.

Which is the old Stewart complex? Which direction from the ball park and how far?

JOHNINSOKC
02-26-2006, 01:51 PM
That huge cottonseed plant is a huge eyesore and is really in the way of any potential development. It appears that everything is developing around it. Eventually, I think the city should buy that property and have them relocate it somewhere else. Maybe they should use eminent domain in this case. I really think that when the new Crosstown opens up and they tear down the old bridge and start constructing the boulevard, the city will get more serious about what it wants in that area. I give it five years and the city will ask for a relocation of the business. Lower Bricktown needs to expand south of the canal, at least to where the plant is right now. I also agree about the area along Reno between Lincoln and MLK. The city should at least consider a main street project along that corridor so when people exit off I-35 onto Reno, they will see a nice boulevard all the way to Bricktown. It would be a great area for housing development and retail.

Patrick
02-26-2006, 03:33 PM
The old Stewart Complex is pretty much everything east of the Ballpark. The Meinder's family bought it and announced they were going to turn it into a residential community dubbed, "The Steel Yard." Haven't heard anything else since. Stewart sold and relocated.

Patrick
02-26-2006, 03:34 PM
By the way, the Stewart Buildings under the plan, wouldn't be torn down. The apartments were supposed to be built within the confines of the existing buildings.

John
02-26-2006, 08:35 PM
If anyone has some of the rederings of the proposed 'hill' developments, one of the plans had the 'Steelyard' project incorporated with their hill project...

Thanks in advance!

metro
02-27-2006, 09:30 AM
The SteelYard is on hold until The Hill project is done. As far as the grain elevators, etc. One is operating as the country's 2nd largest indoor rock climbing gym. This is a HUGE asset to OKC in the way of urban recreation. As far as the cotton gins, etc. Alot of major east coast cities have alot of industrial like this in their downtowns, its just a part of history. In 5-10 years if the city is ready to expand its major league sports and needs new arenas, etc. then yes, eminent domain might be good to build a new sports facility there. As much as there could be more urban uses for the land, the time is not yet, unless you have 100+ million dollars laying in your pocket to bring a development to the table. Its easier said than done.

HOT ROD
02-27-2006, 03:46 PM
ya, I dont see much problem with the elevators. Every major city has industrial areas and most are near their respective downtowns (as metro mentioned).

But one thing they could do (if not done already) to liven it up a bit, is paint a mural about OKC or downtown or "something" on it! :artist:

Maybe DowntownOKC Inc's GoingUP! logo or something else that is positive, urban, progressive, and OKC!

metro
02-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Well OKC Rocks does have a Centennial mural and their own on their grain elevator. As far as the other metal buildings go, I'm not sure what that would take to get it done since they are a manufacturing facility and they are currently still operating. That might be a little more difficult, especially if they store some type of food in the buildings... grain, etc.

diesel
02-27-2006, 05:11 PM
I could care less to see more lofts and apartments down in that area... Its an entertainment district, not a place to live.. Plus it going to be hella expensive living down there anyways.. For those who can afford it, might as well buy a house in edmond or something...

jbrown84
02-27-2006, 07:51 PM
I don't mind the elevators. I go to OKC Rocks often. It's the metal buildings that I don't care for, but I can live with them for now at least.

Jack
02-27-2006, 07:56 PM
I could care less to see more lofts and apartments down in that area... Its an entertainment district, not a place to live.. Plus it going to be hella expensive living down there anyways.. For those who can afford it, might as well buy a house in edmond or something...

Mixing residential in with the entertainment provides all the fun. And turns Bricktown into a real 24/7 district.

John
02-27-2006, 11:55 PM
For those who can afford it, might as well buy a house in edmond or something...

Why put a limit on how much someone can spend on an urban home? I'd rather live downtown than in the burbs, regardless of how much I spend.

Midtowner
02-28-2006, 12:34 AM

It's only "hella-expensive" because of the fact that it's in 'hella-demand.' The price is a function of the scarcity of the housing down there coupled with what people are willing to pay for the privilege of living down there.

I live about a mile (maybe a bit more) from Bricktown and walk over there occasionally. I pay a premium for my location just as the folks in Deep Deuce do. It's our choice to live in tiny apartments while being close to everything.

You can have living in Edmond... 30 minutes to anywhere interesting, obscene traffic, and amazing lack of planning/allocation of resources. I grew up there and have no wish to return.

metro
02-28-2006, 08:06 AM
I agree Midtowner, Edmond has and will have even more serious traffic problems. And the sad thing is, they have no plans in the near future to alleviate it. They have no major thoroughfare through the city other than I-35 which is in yet to be fully developed far east Edmond. I dread driving to Edmond do to all the congestion. It doesn't help with all the soccer moms and 16 year olds driving Range Rovers talking on their cell phones and putting on makeup while driving.

Jack
02-28-2006, 09:39 AM
As gas prices go up, Edmond residents will continue to whine and cry. Paying more for living downtown has its advantages. People asks why it costs more. Well, why does 7-11 cost more than Wal-Mart? It's all about convenience.

upisgr8
03-02-2006, 12:13 PM
... This is a HUGE asset to OKC in the way of urban recreation. .

Paleeese you can't be serious.

upisgr8
03-02-2006, 12:18 PM
oops duplicate post

John
03-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Paleeese you can't be serious.

The grain elevator, absolutely.

The cotton seed mill place, heck no.

Oki_Man5
03-02-2006, 04:33 PM
Jack's response seems reasonable to me.

BDP
03-03-2006, 09:33 AM
For those who can afford it, might as well buy a house in edmond or something...

Now see, you couldn't pay me to live in Edmond. In my mind it's an amazingly expensive place for what you get, but that's becuase my quality of life is not measured in square footage. Price is determined as much by where you live than what you live in. If you compare national housing rates, it becomes obvious that markets are determined more by where dwellings are than how big they are. That's why the houses at the beach cost more, becuase there are more people that want to live at the beach than there are houses to fill that demand. Right now, there are more people that want to live downtown or in the historic districts than there is inventory to fill that demand, so they obviously go for more than in Edmond where they crank out houses like cheeseburgers.